$60.00
$20.00
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me (with limited board game knowledge) I felt like Kingdom Builder was way overrated (I like it though) and that Talisman is treated way underrated.

What games do you think are way overrated and what games you believe are way underrated?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
Surely this is answered by each user's stats page. eg: https://boardgamegeek.com/user/clearclaw/stats
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
Surely this is answered by each user's stats page. eg: https://boardgamegeek.com/user/clearclaw/stats

Wow! How many uses does BGG have? (I have my work cut out for me...)
laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:

Wow. I never saw this feature before, and it is totally awesome.

Would be way more awesome if I took more time to rate games, but all of these statistics are interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
killerjoe1962 wrote:
clearclaw wrote:

Wow! How many uses does BGG have? (I have my work cut out for me...)
laugh

Well, I think the point that he is making is that overrated and underrated are subjective based around your perception. If a bunch of people said that Talisman was underrated, then one would think that that same bunch of people would help influence Talisman to not be so underrated.

So really, what you need is to evaluate your personal rating vs "the masses" which is exactly what he showed you.

In terms of getting a mass opinion, if you ask the right people any game could be either. Just read all the threads about when X game was going to rise up to take #1, where X = Twilight Struggle or Agricola or Pandemic Legacy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
killerjoe1962 wrote:
What games do you think are way overrated and what games you believe are way underrated?

All the games I like are underrated, all the games I dislike are overrated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Way overrated: Android: Netrunner

Way underrated: Epic Card Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:

wouldn't that assume that everyone uses 1-10 point identically, or at least similarly?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My stats page lists a few 'overrated' games which I don't actually consider overrated, because while I personally didn't like the game ... I can easily appreciate that its a great game and understand why people do like it.

(*cough* Twilight Struggle *cough*)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trantor42 wrote:

out of curiosity, what makes android netrunner overrated?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes I forget where I'm posting casual topics. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
for over rated, its a tie between agricola and pandemic.

As far as under rated idk. There are some games that I rate much higher than their average but its so situational I can make the argument for ether side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
let's talk generalities:

I think decent coops are inherently overrated because people like winning. In generally, the winning % of coops is high enough that the expected winners are higher in coops. (I would also note that people don't mind losing as much when losing with everyone else.)

now let's talk specifics:

Tigris and Euphrates has almost fallen out of the top 50, Age of Steam is getting towards the wrong half of hte top 100 and Antiquity is getting towards the wrong half of the top 200.

When it get's into specifics, I like most if not all of the games in the top 100 that I have played. I think it is crazy that roll for the galaxy is rated higher than race for the galaxy (but only a difference of 2)

Lords of Waterdeep sticks out as one I definitely don't care for. I would rather do something heavier and go for Yedo if I wanted that style of game, or just play Caylus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mfl134 wrote:
Trantor42 wrote:

My personal dislike of the game, of course!
Netrunner is usually considered as the best LCG, and I just don't get it. I like asymmetrical gameplay, but Netrunner fell completely flat for me. I can't really put my finger on it, but whether I played runner or corporation, I'm just not having fun. Gameplay can be extremely slow and unspectacular if no agendas get drawn, and when they do, one side sometimes just randomly wins. Often, I read that Netrunner is more about playing your opponent than the game itself, and maybe that's why I don't like it. Whatever the reason, I'd rather play any other LCG and just don't get the love for Netrunner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendahl Johnson
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am in the minority on Power Grid. I really don't like it... Am interested in trying the card game version though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Louie
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Overrated: Caverna: The Cave Farmers - snooze fest... lots of components, no interaction..
Runner Up: Hanabi - interesting the first few plays.. then rapidly descends into a complete waste of time. You either develop a non-verbal system of giving cues and rationalize that its within the rules, or you just flat out cheat.. and even after that, there's the potential that the cards can be stacked in such a way that its impossible for you to win..

Underrated: Cha-Ching - abstracts like this game get very little love.. we play this and always have a blast... excitement of Mah Jong, with take-that elements...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lluluien
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Trantor42 wrote:
mfl134 wrote:
Trantor42 wrote:

My personal dislike of the game, of course!
Netrunner is usually considered as the best LCG, and I just don't get it. I like asymmetrical gameplay, but Netrunner fell completely flat for me. I can't really put my finger on it, but whether I played runner or corporation, I'm just not having fun. Gameplay can be extremely slow and unspectacular if no agendas get drawn, and when they do, one side sometimes just randomly wins. Often, I read that Netrunner is more about playing your opponent than the game itself, and maybe that's why I don't like it. Whatever the reason, I'd rather play any other LCG and just don't get the love for Netrunner.

I liken this explanation to the same one people give about not liking to watch point-based martial arts matches. This makes complete sense to me, because I think Netrunner often has the same sort of comparatively-long periods of circling/probing each other, separating a few short, frantic bursts of activity that evokes feelings of "WTF just happened?" in players that don't have the requisite familiarity.

See classic core set Weyland setup for Sophie's Choice of leaving Posted Bounty or stealing it and getting SEA Source-d. The more experienced players understand that the match was lost BEFORE that turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garth Tams
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say that TIME Stories is currently the one that sticks out the most for me. It was awful, not a game, but the world's most boring activity.

My most underrated game is 18OE...

This probably explains it all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Bull
United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two games I believe are extremely underrated are Hyperborea and Cinque Terre.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My ratings stats confirm that I agree with HenningK that Epic Card Game is really underrated. I recognize as valid most of the explanations that I have heard other people give for why they don't like it, but as for me, it just hits my sweet spots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Srdj
Croatia
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Caverna, extremely OVERRATED.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Look on my works ye mighty and despair
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Underated:

Succession: Intrigue in the Royal Court. I don't understand why this game doesn't get more love on here. I really like it. Lots of backstabbing opportunties and nice asymmetrical powers.

Henry VIII: Intrigue in the Tudor Court. Amusingly similar name to the last one but plays very differently. I suspect this mostly gets overlooked because it's a print and play and a very different type of game than that enjoyed by the eurogame crowd. But it's historical politics done right and a lot of fun.

Nothing Personal. I suspect this one gets overlooked because it's Tom Vasel. (And having a 'celebrity' designer is as much of a blessing as a curse). I come to it from the opposite perspective. I can take or leave the dice tower, but it's an excellent game. Highly aggressive area control with lots of direct conflict.

Overrated:

Codenames. There's nothing wrong with Codenames, it's a perfectly pleasant little party game. But I don't get why people see it as this amazing milestone in game design. It fits into the same kind of category as Charades for me.

Hanabi on the other hand is awful. It just bored me from start to finish.

I don't get the love for Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game and I've played it several times. The idea (concentrating on the interplay between survivors instead of the zombies) is solid, but I just find it unimmersive and mathematical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Bodah
United States
Melrose
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my opinion there are more overrated games than underrated games. The general average of popular games on BGG is between a 6 and a 7 while my average for games is closer to a 5.

Overrated:

Citadels
Galaxy Trucker
Lord of the Rings: The Card Game
Small World
Glass Road
Love Letter
Jambo
7 Wonders: Duel

Underrated:

Eat Poop You Cat
Triumvirate
At the Gates of Loyang
Ghost Stories
Tichu
Plato 3000
Bohnanza
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Thompson

Las Vegas
Nevada
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
killerjoe1962 wrote:
For me (with limited board game knowledge) I felt like Talisman was way overrated (I like it though) and that Kingdom Builder is treated way underrated.

I fixed your typographical errors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kassanova wrote:
killerjoe1962 wrote:
For me (with limited board game knowledge) I felt like Talisman was way overrated (I like it though) and that Kingdom Builder is treated way underrated.

I fixed your typographical errors.

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.