Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Gallagher
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys.

I was thinking about getting this expansion but wanted to know which parts of it would be used if I was playing with the Gates of Arkham expansion as well. It replaces a LOT of the components in the base game so I am not sure if this one adds in enough to be worth it.

If anyone can fill me in that'd be wonderful.

Cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
UF adds revised OW and Investigator cards for ES (so, always usable with any expansion)

All small cards (allies, spells, items, and so on) in UF can be used with Gates; the same is true for AOs, and the curse / blessings dynamics implemented in UF are usable in Gates (and in Omens of Ice and I suspect they will be usable also in Omens of the Deep)

And of course all new investigators in UF can be used with all the other ES installments.

See it this way:

a) we have a series of different settings (Museum, Arkham, Alaska, and soon to be released Pacific Ocean); each of these settings comes with a pool of specific adventure and Mythos cards that represent the threats and the locations you're exploring

b) all the other elements of the game are cross-playable, so that you can move AOs, Investigators, items, OWs and all the rest around the globe

Ain't it awesome? It's like having different books written by your favorite author. You follow the adventures of your heroes in different exotic places of this world (for now; c'mon FFG, give us Dreamlands next!!), and every time it's a friggin' blast
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gonna just go ahead and thumb-up Julia...

OK now that that's done, there are a number of fan variants that allow (almost) all components to be used. Here's mine, for example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Gallagher
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So the only components that wouldn't be used are:

-The Entrance Cards
-Encounter/Location Cards
-Mythos Cards

and everything else would be used in GoA? Is this correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly.

Also please notice that there's a million of custom variants to merge Gates with ES+UF. Sure we're in the field of home-brewed creations, so, if you want to play official, this is not supported; but if you enjoy experimenting a bit, Mythos and Adventures from all sets are compatible
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. V.
msg tools
Does the blessing/curse mechanic from UF really merge with GoA?
I'm suspicious because the chapel entrance card is obviously not used in GoA, and it's one of the few ways to gain blessings (and the only stable one).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
Paper Hero wrote:
Does the blessing/curse mechanic from UF really merge with GoA?
I'm suspicious because the chapel entrance card is obviously not used in GoA, and it's one of the few ways to gain blessings (and the only stable one).

Items giving you blessings still work in GoA. Some adventures have as reward the option to choose to be Blessed. The only thing that changed is that you can't shop for Blessings, which is good for the balance of the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. V.
msg tools
Yeah, I already checked a couple of videos and saw that Arkham adventure cards still have the reward icons introduced in UF. Thanks for a prompt reply anyway
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.