Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
rob brennan
Ireland
Dublin 6W
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All,

I'm planning on playing this game with a group of friends and we can only allocate 1 day. I'd like to setup the full campaign but I am worried that turn 1 would burn a lot of time with airdrops. I don't think anyone cares if we don't get finished but I'd assume that it would be more rewarding if we could at least feel that we had got a decent chunk of the game done.

So, do people think is best - start with day one or go for one of the later campaign starts?

I am probably going to use the historical setup since it is our first play-through and that removes the need for the allies to do a lot of planning before the game. However I may consider randomising or accelerating the allied reinforcements (representing better weather or commo than historically) to even things up.

I'll do all the setup etc before everyone arrives so we can just play on the day.

rgds
rob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve C
United States
Princeton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have INS but have not played alot.

I recommend NOT using historical drops.

In my first game which was multiplayer, we used historical drops. It made the Brit Para players part of the game horrible and not exciting. He felt his only choice was too defend the DZ.

Maybe we played wrong and/or were to new to game. I just wish the game host would have listened to me. I suggested Allied choice of DZs(non-his). That game might be the reason I don't play INS alot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Strait
United States
Federal way
WA - Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brennanr wrote:
Hi All,

I'm planning on playing this game with a group of friends and we can only allocate 1 day. I'd like to setup the full campaign but I am worried that turn 1 would burn a lot of time with airdrops. I don't think anyone cares if we don't get finished but I'd assume that it would be more rewarding if we could at least feel that we had got a decent chunk of the game done.

So, do people think is best - start with day one or go for one of the later campaign starts?

I am probably going to use the historical setup since it is our first play-through and that removes the need for the allies to do a lot of planning before the game. However I may consider randomising or accelerating the allied reinforcements (representing better weather or commo than historically) to even things up.

I'll do all the setup etc before everyone arrives so we can just play on the day.

rgds
rob

What I have done in cases of this sort is have 1 member of the group come over before the game begins and do the drops and starting moves of German forces. By the time everyone else arrives starting Airdrops will be finished and you can begin play from there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
武士に二言無し
Italy
Caravaggio near Bergamo near Milano
Europe + Earth + Via Lactea
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

I played INS with 3 players, free airdrop, two days, 20 hours and never ended the game, two times.
Probably in six you'll do better, I hope ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rob brennan
Ireland
Dublin 6W
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for this. In some ways that sounds historical of course - hold out for as long as possible. I'm thinking that with the potential for better weather (ie accelerated later drops for the Brits) and better commo (ie some flexibility to move the polish drop) it might make it more fun for the British paras?

rgds
rob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris gammon
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've played the campaign 11 times and in the middle of our 12th. If you go with historical DZ, then require the Germans to stick with historical entry as well. It's likely that you'll see the 1AB again be swept from Arnhem proper, but requiring the Germans to enter on the first hexes listed will help XXX Corps immensely. This also gives the Allies a chance to win.

Ian's suggestion is ideal though, by having the Allies perform their drop before game day. They can do this on VASSAL and write down where things land and bring them on game day. Keep in mind that you can save a bit of time by recording the type of unit that landed and not the exact company, assuming it's from the same division. A Polish 2-4-6 is a Polish 2-4-6. Whether it's the 5/2 or the 7/3 doesn't matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rob brennan
Ireland
Dublin 6W
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Chris
liberty0 wrote:
We've played the campaign 11 times and in the middle of our 12th. If you go with historical DZ, then require the Germans to stick with historical entry as well. It's likely that you'll see the 1AB again be swept from Arnhem proper, but requiring the Germans to enter on the first hexes listed will help XXX Corps immensely. This also gives the Allies a chance to win.

Thanks for that insight. By forcing the germans to come in on 1st entry hex listed you say it advantages XXX Corps - is the advantage due to the lack of flexibility accorded to the Germans, the predictability for XXX Corps or the fact that the historical entry hexes are sub-optimal in some way

Also the offline drop sounds like a good idea!

rgds
rob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It has been too long for me to recall which scenario we played but what helped move things along is to divide play into "opposing teams" so that each Axis player had an Allied counterpart so that three simultaneous games were being played. Yes there was some overlap.

We played the first turn or two one player at a time and it took forever. Once we "paired off" things picked up. We were all still involved in the game and were all well aware of what was happening all across the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris gammon
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Thanks for that insight. By forcing the germans to come in on 1st entry hex listed you say it advantages XXX Corps - is the advantage due to the lack of flexibility accorded to the Germans, the predictability for XXX Corps or the fact that the historical entry hexes are sub-optimal in some way

The historical entry hexes force the Germans to engage XXX Corps before they can move north and defend behind rivers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.