Deloid McGeehee
msg tools
mbmb
As the subject says, I have a group of friends interested in setting up a room in one of our houses for a full epic World In Flames game, and meeting weekly to have an epic war game over a years time.

Our major question though is, about how long does an average turn take with 2 through 6 players (mostly just so we have a rough idea).

My understanding is the turns grow longer as the game advances, so any decent, realistic estimate is fine.

We would like to get together once a week, for maybe 2 hours, to complete a turn. So that will hopefully give you a benchmark on what we're looking for, and if it's possible.

Thanks!

Regards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Finch
United States
Pearl River
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
so many variables, rolling bad weather and low for turn continuance will result in fewer operational segments and shorter turns, good weather high turn continue rolls long turns.
JP GE can play simultaneous if separate players, one axis player will take much longer

UK needs to look mostly to europe but has many things to do at sea across the world
Same for US once in the war and they have troops taking things in pacific as well...

my gut says - 2 hours will not finish most fair weather turns for global campaign

with fewer players you can do europe only
1) Russia
2) UK
3) US / France (something to do early war, can let play minors as well)
4) GE (and IT or)
5) IT

so that is 4-5 players, 6th is JP and forces global campaign

or Pacific only (i think there is a scenario for this
UK
US
JP

the single theater campaigns may play closer to 2 hours (but unlikely during barbarossa!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Jurin
United States
Great Neck
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
it depends on quite a few things, one of which is the group dynamic. I've been in groups which (although friendly) are very 'businesslike' in their wargaming, that is, although a friendly game, they are mindful of the time they have and really try to concentrate on getting the game done. Some groups and some tournaments even use chess clocks.

I've played with other groups where it is more casual, and people play but a lot of time is spent on chatting, talking about things, etc.

Two other key variables are, not surprisingly, the experience of the players. Players playing for 15 years will go much faster than first timers.

Then we can look at whether players are trying to help each other out, give suggestions, or is it really more 'tournament' style.

One more key variable is if the players are sticklers - meaning for instance that Germany doesn't move its troops in the USSR until Japan and Italy have finished their naval moves - playing as the rules say - or if the groups just does it de facto simultaneously, saying Germany can play its turn at the same time since what happens in Japan won't affect it.

New players in a family type friendly game will go up to two hours on a long, 1943 summer turn. Pro's playing tournament style can probably polish it off in an hour, maybe even faster.

PS - I'm ignoring the things that happen to real life playrooms that nobody ever admits - these include 'I can't find where my HQ is, does anyone see it' moments, or the 'Oh I really didn't have enough convoys to transport those resources, I've been doing it wrong for 10 turns' moments. (Yes, this stuff even happens to 25 year veterans).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Young
United States
Independence
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you mean an impulse, or a whole turn of 3-4 impulses for each side?
30 years of Wiffing tells me 2 hours will not finish a 2 month turn with 6 players. We play 4 hours a week and struggle to get 1 turn and only have 2-3 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grog Jones
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd agree with all the above - especially the amount of time that can be spent in chatting, going to the fridge for beer, barracking and general trash talk (or is that just our group?). But WiF is ideally suited IMHO to pausing the action mid turn. You can stop at the end of an impulse and, as long as you are clear on who is next, resume at a later date (or after coming back from the pub - or is that just us again?). So, my advice would just to plough in and stop at a convenient point when you run out of time.

One thing to add though - then end of turn phase can take longer than you thing (10 minutes agonising over whether to produce that HQ-A or another two INF adds a bit of time).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Finch
United States
Pearl River
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
...after coming back from the pub

can i come play in your group next time I'm in UK?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Jurin
United States
Great Neck
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, I badly underestimated the time, I did mix up the long impulses with the full turns.

I was at three WifCon's. There you have in general experienced players. Generally you have two weekends and 5 days, but in practice it is hard to really get so much time. People try to play most of the day, probably about 12-14 hours are played a day.

A few tables will finish (some of course end earlier than the full 36 turns). We often see a few games going into late 1944.

Doing the math, this means that if we are getting about 30ish turns done in about 100ish hours, we see 3- 4 hours a turn. These games tend to have less time in chatting, these are nice people and will chat a bit but they aren't a friends group.

Clearly less experienced players will take longer. So if your group gets together for 2 hours, try to get a turn done in two sessions realistically and M/J and J/A will be a challenge, the other turns will be easier.

If you meet like this, try to get players to know what their production will b e when they get tot he end of the turn - experienced players often are mentally finishing their builds at least mentally at the opponent's turn. Clearly if something happens unexpected it is fair game to change at the end of the turn, but usually people can get a good head start.

We used to play at my house. I would have the reinforcements lined up at player's seats when we started a new turn. When we couldn't quite finish a turn, people would return ships themselves, but if we were running into the end of a session, I would flip back everyone on land, letting us get down to business when we showed up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.