Subject: Push Your Luck rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Shevalier
Canada
Orillia
Ontario
flag msg tools
"Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing." -Henry David Thoreau
mbmbmbmbmb
If I wanted a push your luck game, what would you recommend?

I have had my eyes on Incan Gold, but I also just saw Celestia on The Dicetower's 12 Games of Christmas - Family List. How do these games compare to each other? Which one do you prefer and why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In typical BGG fashion, I will respond with something wholly unrelated to what you are specifically asking for:

Check out Can't Stop.

Been around since 1980, and has held it's own. As "push your luck" as they come.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Vaughan
flag msg tools
Shevalier wrote:

I have had my eyes on Incan Gold, but I also just saw Celestia on The Dicetower's 12 Games of Christmas - Family List. How do these games compare to each other? Which one do you prefer and why?

FYI, there's a new version of Diamant out, which is the same game as Incan Gold but with more elaborate components
I haven't played those myself so I personally can't say which game is better, but I was strongly considering Diamant as a gift so I guess that has my approval
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Tama
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ponzi Scheme is a really good push your luck game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Squidpigge
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hestiansun wrote:
In typical BGG fashion, I will respond with something wholly unrelated to what you are specifically asking for:

Check out Can't Stop.

Been around since 1980, and has held it's own. As "push your luck" as they come.

This is what I was going to recommend as well. We play this a lot around the holidays because it is great for a huge range of ages.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shevalier wrote:

I heard someone say that they played a game of Celestia that fell flat with the wrong group. My understanding is that game really comes alive if you have people bluffing.

Whereas Incan Gold (or Diamant) is more purely a push your luck game. It's less dependent on the whether the players really get into the bluffing part.

Incan Gold/Diamant can play up to 8 people and (imo) it plays better with more folk. The game time doesn't significantly change as the player count rises too.

Celestia goes to 6 players. I can't comment on whether there is a "sweet spot" for that game though.

Not sure if any of this helps you. If you do go with the Incan Gold route I recommend the new Diamant version. It's pretty nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I have both games. We love celestia because of the boat and artwork and a little more to consider but... Incan gold comes out more often as good 10 minute fun really.

Have you considered Dead Man's Draw or Port Royal? I have both of these also, I play the captain carcass version of dead man's draw as visually easier for my little one and every one likes this. My mum's favourite is definately port royal and is the one with most interesting decisions I think! This is the only one my daughter can't quite play yet
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Not sure why you're purchasing but if it helps and you have kids in mind, my daughter is just turned six a week ago, she's just starting to play port royal but not really clicking that quickly as she doesn't remember who all the different characters and their powers are etc. Kids love the real gems in incan gold best I think and she's been playing this since the age of four. The other two plays fine since five

For me, I don't think I could play incan gold if it played any longer although my little ones fav! Celestia while good whilst playing, it does seem to lack the excitement that push your luck really should encourage - not really sure why?? We like captain carcass again as a short game but I will happily play port royal for nearly an hour

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cortnik
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Incan Gold is gold - can't go wrong. I also like Circus Flohcati (a quick and fun card game) and Ra has a good push-your-luck element.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Push-your-luck features quite prominently in Pandemic: The Cure, one of my favorite games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien K
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
Yup, Incan Gold is awesome. Love this little gem of a game. Also, I don't think I'll be able to play Circus Flohcati anymore since I played Dead Man's Draw. Great little push-your-card-luck game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.