United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
What are those!
badge
このていどだな、ね?
mbmbmbmbmb
So here is a question: I played it were the overlord only gets to activate two tiles which includes event tiles and moving dead tiles. Is this correct?

I saw a Youtube play through were the player paid the cost for an event and to move a dead units tile to the end of the river plus activated two unit tiles. I pretty sure this is wrong and they took two turns in one.

Anyone else want to weigh in on this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
Vlaardingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thatach wrote:
So here is a question: I played it were the overlord only gets to activate two tiles which includes event tiles and moving dead tiles. Is this correct?

I saw a Youtube play through were the player paid the cost for an event and to move a dead units tile to the end of the river plus activated two unit tiles. I pretty sure this is wrong and they took two turns in one.

Anyone else want to weigh in on this.

You played it by the rules, the youtube playthrough had it wrong. Up to two tiles can be activated by the overlord per turn including event tiles, dead tiles and paying two gems to remove a dead tile from the river to the game box. Happy gaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thatach wrote:

Per the OL book, page 7, first paragraph, yes: the OL can activate only two tiles. The bottom two paragraphs on that page describe exactly what you ask: yes, "dead" (a.k.a. "facedown") tiles and "event" tiles count as activations.

thatach wrote:

As you say, it is incorrect. i've had to stop watching Conan video sessions because i end up spending too much time futilely posting rules corrections in the comments . Many people were/are apparently in a hurry to be first online with their Conan sessions, without taking some time to research the BGG forums first. i can't really blame them for that, as the rules in the box "should" be self-contained (without requiring BGG), but it has lead to a large number of rules flubs throughout the various online play session videos. As an increasing number of people prefer to learn to play games via such videos, this has, IMO, only lead to more confusion in how to play the game. Unfortunate but probably unavoidable.

:/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
Vlaardingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
thatach wrote:

Per the OL book, page 7, first paragraph, yes: the OL can activate only two tiles. The bottom two paragraphs on that page describe exactly what you ask: yes, "dead" (a.k.a. "facedown") tiles and "event" tiles count as activations.

thatach wrote:

As you say, it is incorrect. i've had to stop watching Coan video sessions because i end up spending too much time futilely posting rules corrections in the comments . Many people were/are apparently in a hurry to be first online with their Conan sessions, without taking some time to research the BGG forums first. i can't really blame them for that, as the rules in the box "should" be self-contained (without requiring BGG), but it has lead to a large number of rules flubs throughout the various online play session videos. As an increasing number of people prefer to learn to play games via such videos, this has, IMO, only lead to more confusion in how to play the game. Unfortunate but probably unavoidable.

:/

Absolutely true Stephan which is a shame because this really is a good and fun game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CK Lai
Malaysia
Subang Jaya
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SirWallace wrote:
Up to two tiles can be activated by the overlord per turn including event tiles, dead tiles and paying two gems to remove a dead tile from the river to the game box. Happy gaming!

To clarify : paying two gems to remove a dead tile from the river to the game box can be done at any time during the OL's turn and isn't included in the OL's 2 tile activation per turn limit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig K
msg tools
A good video with almost no rules mistakes I watched recently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMc3rD0-JzQ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Petersen
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
What are those!
badge
このていどだな、ね?
mbmbmbmbmb
Chinkster wrote:
SirWallace wrote:
Up to two tiles can be activated by the overlord per turn including event tiles, dead tiles and paying two gems to remove a dead tile from the river to the game box. Happy gaming!

To clarify : paying two gems to remove a dead tile from the river to the game box can be done at any time during the OL's turn and isn't included in the OL's 2 tile activation per turn limit.

That's how I see it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thatach wrote:
Chinkster wrote:
SirWallace wrote:

That's how I see it

FWIW, me as well.

In terms of rules organization, this "dredging the river" described on page 4 of the OL book, long before page 7 where the "2 tiles per turn" rules are described, so i interpret them as being completely independent of one another.

From page 4:

Quote:
During their turn, the Overlord can return 2 gems from their Fatigue zone to the game box to return a facedown tile in the River to the game box. If there are not enough gems in their Fatigue zone, the Overlord can return gems from their Reserve zone instead.

There's no mention of that being an "activation", whereas all other "activation" types are clearly listed on page 7.

Edit: the rules say that Dredging may be performed at any time during the OL's turn, whereas it says that Activations can only be made during the OL's Activation phase. Ergo, Dredging is explicitly not an Activation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sherry
United States
Great Falls
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How many times per turn can the Overlord dredge the river?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Black Knight wrote:
How many times per turn can the Overlord dredge a river per turn?

There appears to be no limit, but doing so always reduces his number of overall options. i doubt that it would be cost-effective to dredge 5 times in any but the weirdest cases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sherry
United States
Great Falls
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was down to Zaporavo and the Demon in Scenario 2 and it was quite helpful! There were 4 heroes so I had 7 gems per turn and 14 in the pool. Suddenly dredging made a lot of sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Black Knight wrote:
I was down to Zaporavo and the Demon in Scenario 2 and it was quite helpful! There were 4 heroes so I had 7 gems per turn and 14 in the pool. Suddenly dredging made a lot of sense.

You do know that you can resurrect "dead" minions at any time via reinforcements, right?

Edit: see threads 1665888 and 1668125 for explanations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sherry
United States
Great Falls
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Once you summon the demon in that scenario you cannot get reinforcements. The event tile goes away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Black Knight wrote:
Once you summon the demon in that scenario you cannot get reinforcements. The event tile goes away.

Oh, right! Then dredging does indeed make a lot of sense!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Howard Massey
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ForeverDead wrote:
A good video with almost no rules mistakes I watched recently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMc3rD0-JzQ

At least Mr. Sidener took the time to read and comprehended the rule books before he made the video thumbsup

Good on him...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.