1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [27] | 

Descent: Journeys in the Dark» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: Quest 3: Problems of Life and Death rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lanabound
Canada
flag msg tools
Hello again, heroes. Welcome to your third quest, and thank you for joining!
This quest features many riddles and tricks. You will discover the secret features of the dungeon as you explore!

First, please select your heroes.
1. This time, just talk among yourselves for who wants whom. Doesn't have to be first post, first pick.
2. Replace one skill, as usual, if you wish.

Battlemage Jaes
http://www.descentinthedark.com/_b_/battlemage_jaes.php
Leadership: When you declare a Ready action, you may move your speed and make 1 attack. You may allow another hero to place the readied order instead of placing the order yourself. (If you place a rest order on another hero, he will recover fatigue immediately at the start of his next turn, even if it is in the same round.)
Prodigy: When making a Magic attack, you gain 2 free surges.
Wild Talent: You have the Sorcery 1 ability. In addition, you roll 1 extra power die when rolling power dice to avoid or reduce the effect of trap cards. (Sorcery 1 adds 1 range or 1 damage to any kind of attack, not just magic. Your swords and arrows will still be empowered with sorcery.)

Grey Ker
http://www.descentinthedark.com/_g_/grey_ker.php
Swift: Your speed is increased by 2. Any speed reduction from Armor is applied before this bonus.
Rapid Fire: After making a ranged attack, you may immediately spend 2 fatigue to make 1 additional attack with the same weapon this turn. You may use this ability multiple times, paying its cost each time.
Vampiric Blood: You gain 1 fatigue each time you deal the killing blow to an enemy figure. If the figure is Undying, you do not gain fatigue unless the figure stays dead.

Spiritspeaker Mok
http://www.descentinthedark.com/_s_/spiritspeaker_mok.php
Battle Cry: When you declare a Battle action, you may restore 1 fatigue to yourself and all adjacent heroes.
Holy Aura: You have the Aura ability. (Every time an enemy figure moves, or is moved, adjacent to you, the figure takes 1 wound.)
Telekinesis: Spend 1 fatigue during your turn to move any figure within your line of sight 1 space, following normal movement rules. You may use this ability multiple times, paying its cost each time.

The introductory flavor text and quest goals will be introduced after you select your heroes and finalize your skills.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Dallaire
Canada
Jonquière
Québec
flag msg tools
Live from Jonquière Beach!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will stay with a magic based character and choose Battlemage Jaes

If it's ok with you guys...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Faulkner
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, lots of mages again. I like archer types, so I would like Grey Ker. And I think I will keep skills as picked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Butler
Canada
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That leaves me with Mok. Did Mok get a Fighting skill? Or all 3 Wizardry?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lanabound
Canada
flag msg tools
I drew three wizardry skills by mistake. I corrected it; he has Able Warrior, Holy Aura, and Telekinesis. You can replace one or keep as is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Butler
Canada
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reroll on Able Warrior please!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lanabound
Canada
flag msg tools
Mok's replacement skill is Battle Cry.

Our Heroes

Battlemage Jaes possesses both fighting and magical ability. He has high natural defenses, but he can also wear chainmail or other heavy armor and still use runes. In addition to being able to detect traps, Jaes imbues all his weapons with sorcery. As a prodigal magical attacker, gaining free surges, Jaes will most likely favor magic weapons. However, the true fun with Jaes is with his leadership skill. He will probably never have to declare an Advance action again! Rather than move and attack (Advance), Jaes can move and make an aimed attack! (Ready). Or, issue any other order he pleases, on himself or someone else.
Leadership: When you declare a Ready action, you may move your speed and make 1 attack. You may allow another hero to place the readied order instead of placing the order yourself. (If you place a rest order on another hero, he will recover fatigue immediately at the start of his next turn, even if it is in the same round.)
Prodigy: When making a Magic attack, you gain 2 free surges.
Wild Talent: You have the Sorcery 1 ability. In addition, you roll 1 extra power die when rolling power dice to avoid or reduce the effect of trap cards. (Sorcery 1 adds 1 range or 1 damage to any kind of attack, not just magic. Your swords and arrows will still be empowered with sorcery.)

Grey Ker is mostly a pure ranger and rogue, but he does possess a bit of magic talent. Specifically, he has learned the magical art of siphoning the stamina of his vanquished enemies, which he can then use to shoot a volley of arrows in rapid fire. In addition to being very swift, Grey Ker possesses high tactical sense. Rather than being locked into an action for the turn, Grey Ker can change his action on the fly. For example, if Grey Ker Battles a tough monster but manages to kill it in a single hit, he may change to an Advance action and move his speed, or change to a Ready action and place an order.
Swift: Your speed is increased by 2. Any speed reduction from Armor is applied before this bonus.
Rapid Fire: After making a ranged attack, you may immediately spend 2 fatigue to make 1 additional attack with the same weapon this turn. You may use this ability multiple times, paying its cost each time.
Vampiric Blood: You gain 1 fatigue each time you deal the killing blow to an enemy figure. If the figure is Undying, you do not gain fatigue unless the figure stays dead.

Spiritspeaker Mok, like Battlemage Jaes, is a fighter/wizard hybrid. His "spiritspeaking" means he can sense ambient threat, and every overlord card is more expensive. His skills do not relate to attacking with any specific weapons, so he can explore all weapon types, especially melee and magic. When Mok Battles, his warcry lifts up the spirits of himself and nearby heroes, and his newfound stamina can fuel his telekinesis talent. Finally, Mok's holy aura will deter enemies from moving adjacent to him.
Battle Cry: When you declare a Battle action, you may restore 1 fatigue to yourself and all adjacent heroes.
Holy Aura: You have the Aura ability. (Every time an enemy figure moves, or is moved, adjacent to you, the figure takes 1 wound.)
Telekinesis: Spend 1 fatigue during your turn to move any figure within your line of sight 1 space, following normal movement rules. You may use this ability multiple times, paying its cost each time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lanabound
Canada
flag msg tools
The story of your new adventure will be revealed soon. Then, you may convene in the town market to suit up before entering the first area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lanabound
Canada
flag msg tools
Quest 3: Problems of Life and Death

While wandering through the marketplace of Tamalir, an old gypsy called you over to her. "I see that you seek adventure," she said, "And I have just the thing for you." With that, the gypsy sold you a map leading to the fabled Grotto of Wisdom. The Grotto reputedly contains a fortune in gold guarded by a tribe of naga who test the wits of those who would claim the gold with a series of riddles.

Tamalir Market
"Welcome to the market," says the shopkeeper. "I hear you are about to journey into the Grotto of Wisdom. Please, browse our stock and buy what you need."

MARKET STOCK PRICE
Dagger (2): 25
Iron Shield (2): 25
Leather Armor (3): 50
Healing Potion (9): 50
Vitality Potion (9): 50
Bow (2): 75
Sword (3): 75
Axe (2): 100
Chain Mail (2): 100
Crossbow (2): 150
Ghost Armor Rune (1): 150
Mage Staff (3): 150
Immolation Rune (2): 200

Each hero has 300 coins. Go shopping!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Faulkner
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ker eyes up the goods offered at the market. He chooses a sturdy bow(75), chain mail(150) and a healing potion(50). This leaves him 25 gold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davide P
Italy
flag msg tools
Chain Mail costs 100g.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lanabound
Canada
flag msg tools
DavideP wrote:
Chain Mail costs 100g.

You have 75 coins instead of 25, Nathan. Do you want to buy more?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Dallaire
Canada
Jonquière
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Batlemage Jaes will buy the following:

Chain Mail 100g
Immolation Rune 200g
-------------------------
Balance 0g

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Butler
Canada
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PopolDal wrote:
Batlemage Jaes will buy the following:

Chain Mail 100g
Immolation Rune 200g
-------------------------
Balance 0g

Chain Mail doesn't allow you to use Runes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Dallaire
Canada
Jonquière
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Xavarir wrote:

Check my hero ability :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Butler
Canada
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PopolDal wrote:
Xavarir wrote:

Check my hero ability :-)

Doh! How did I forget that.......? All these mages are making my head spin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Faulkner
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lanabound wrote:
DavideP wrote:
Chain Mail costs 100g.

You have 75 coins instead of 25, Nathan. Do you want to buy more?

Actually want to change it completely.

Chain Mail (100)
Crossbow (150)
Iron Shield (25)

Leaving 25 gold remaining

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Butler
Canada
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mok will buy:

Axe - 100g
Leather Armor - 50g
Vitality potion x 3 - 150g

Spoiler (click to reveal)
It was tough for me to decide what to buy this time around.

I am very familiar with the first two quests but nothing past that so this one should be nice and challenging!

We have some VERY potent hero combinations that we shouldn't forget about.

Leadership is an absolutely insane ability. It can be used to give other heroes Rest orders JUST before their turn essentially letting them get full fatigue back instantly. Combined with Rapid Fire + Vampiric Blood on Ker and Battle Cry on Mok we can essentially "fatigue battery" Ker so he can make 6+ attack in one turn!

Since Battle Cry recovers 1 fatigue to all adjacent heroes, turn order will be important this time. Same goes for Leadership.

I bought 3 Vitality potions to play around with Aura + Telekinesis. I think I can use Telekinesis to move a monster adjacent to, and around, me so that they take 1 damage for each space. With Jaes being so tanky I figure he'll be near the front lines so I bought the Axe to help support him in melee (as well as being close enough for Battle Cry). I was hoping for a Chain Mail but you guys bought them all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lanabound
Canada
flag msg tools

CONQUEST: 5
[Threat: 0][Cards in Hand: 3][Cards in Draw: 33]
[Power Cards: -]

Battlemage Jaes (Eric): |Grey Ker (Nathan):
[HP 12/12] [FP 4/4] [Armor 2(+2)] [Speed 4] |[HP 12/12] [FP 5/5] [Armor 1(+2)] [Speed 4(+2)]
Traits: Melee 1, Ranged 0, Magic 2 |Traits: Melee 0, Ranged 3, Magic 0
Skills: Leadership, Prodigy, Wild Talent |Skills: Swift, Rapid Fire, Vampiric Blood
|
Hands: Immolation Rune |Hands: Crossbow, Iron Shield
Armor: Chain Mail |Armor: Chain Mail
Accessories: - |Accessories: -
Potions: - |Potions: -
Pack: - |Pack: -
|
Coins: 0 |Coins: 25
---------------------------------------------------+----------------------------------------------------------------
Spiritspeaker Mok (Luke): |TOWN (Heroes in Town:-)
[HP 12/12] [FP 4/4] [Armor 0(+1)] [Speed 4] |MARKET STOCK PRICE MARKET STOCK PRICE
Traits: Melee 1, Ranged 0, Magic 2 |Dagger (2): 25 Copper Treasure (0): 250
Skills: Battle Cry, Holy Aura, Telekinesis |Iron Shield (1): 25 Silver Treasure (0): 500
|Healing Potion (9): 50 Ranged Training (4): 500
Hands: Axe |Vitality Potion (6): 50 Magic Training (4): 500
Armor: Leather Armor |Bow (2): 75 Gold Treasure (0): 750
Accessories: - |Sword (3): 75 Fighting Skill (10): 1000
Potions: Vitality (3) |Axe (1): 100 Subterfuge Skill (10): 1000
Pack: - |Chain Mail (0): 100 Wizardry Skill (7): 1000
|Crossbow (1): 150
Coins: 0 |Ghost Armor (1): 150
|Mage Staff (3): 150
|Immolation (1): 200

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lanabound
Canada
flag msg tools
Introduction
After journeying to the grotto, you prepare to descend into the depths. Your goal is to defeat Kisst-Haa, the leader of the naga tribe, while collecting as much treasure as possible. If you can reactivate some of the ancient glyphs of transport in the dungeon, all the better. You start with 5 conquest tokens. If you ever run out of conquest tokens, Kisst-Haa will have triumphed over you.

Heroes, place yourselves on or adjacent to the glyph, and then begin!
Monster stats included to help as reference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Butler
Canada
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WHAT!? We spawn in a room full of monsters? I'm calling shenanigans....

Mok starts on D3.

Edit: Those monster stats are a great idea. Well done OL!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Dallaire
Canada
Jonquière
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BattleMage Jaes will start on D2 (i think we NEED to have one hero on the glyph right?)

And +1 for the OL for the monsters stats on the map!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lanabound
Canada
flag msg tools
Glad you like the stats.
I don't think a hero has to start on a glyph. I think just adjacent is fine. At least pg 6 of basic rules says "on or adjacent."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Dallaire
Canada
Jonquière
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BattleMage Jaes will go on E3 then!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Faulkner
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
C3 for Ker

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [27] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.