8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Games similar but different than Celestia rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Randy Thomas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our group has been really enjoying Celestia and almost everyone I teach this to really enjoys it. I am looking for something of similar weight and social interaction but maybe some slightly different mechanics and a really similar game length. Any suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Williams

Seattle
Washington
msg tools
mbmbmb
BANG! The Dice Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias R.
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Diamant (aka Incan Gold) also has a push-your-luck-mechanic, is great looking (in the new Iello-Edition), is even playable with up to 8 players, has very little downtime and it also includes trying to guess which card your opponents are going to play.

Playing time and minimum age are the same in both games, both games have a weight < 1.5 (according to the BGB-voting).

But: both games are really different from each other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Garman
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lowpass wrote:
Diamant (aka Incan Gold) also has a push-your-luck-mechanic, is great looking (in the new Iello-Edition), is even playable with up to 8 players, has very little downtime and it also includes trying to guess which card your opponents are going to play.

Playing time and minimum age are the same in both games, both games have a weight < 1.5 (according to the BGB-voting).

But: both games are really different from each other.

+1 to Diamant/Incan Gold. That and Celestia are easily the two best games in this niche of push-your-luck with some light elements of figuring out what everyone else is going to do each round.

For something a little bit more involved than Celestia, Welcome to the Dungeon might be worth looking at. You start with one adventurer that the whole table shares, and the adventurer is going to fight through a dungeon. Players take turns either taking equipment away from the adventurer or adding enemies to the dungeon. On your turn you can drop out if you think the dungeon is too hard to finish, and the last person who hasn't dropped out has to try to make it through the dungeon. It has a bit more bluffing and slightly more mechanical complexity than Celestia or Incan Gold, but fairly similar and a lot of fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dragon
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played once, but really enjoyed Dead Man's Draw. Draw cards of different suits, stop before you draw two of the same suit or you lose the haul. Upside is each suit, so long as it's not a repeat, will give you cool power.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Port royal also has a push your luck element and is one of my mums favourites :-)

If you want a game with the 3d element, maybe colt express would work?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Woody
United States
Pottsboro
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Incan Gold and Port Royal as mentioned.
Also Kanagawa has a push your luck element although it is a bit heavier and only plays four.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Thomas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
some great suggestions going here.

I am looking mostly at port royal and welcome to the dungeon right now. these may be great additions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.