$15.00
$5.00
$20.00
Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Absolute Victory: World Conflict 1939-1945» Forums » Rules

Subject: Solitaire? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Sharp
United States
Bloomingdale
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I see this is listed as 1-4. Looking at the rulebook (unless I missed something), all I see is one sentence that mentions the game can be played solitaire, but no specific solitaire rules. What is the solitaire option here?

Thanks!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Madison
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
blakmagik13 wrote:
So, I see this is listed as 1-4. Looking at the rulebook (unless I missed something), all I see is one sentence that mentions the game can be played solitaire, but no specific solitaire rules. What is the solitaire option here?

Thanks!


Like so many games, to play Absolute Victory solitaire just means you try the best option as both sides. Rule 9.6.6 does detail a solitaire option for using the Land Combat Mode Grid -- which is really the primary "hidden" feature of the game. There is also a "hidden" aspect to Border Wars (where each side picks a country secretly), but a die roll can be used to determine the "other" player's option -- or even both players' options if you really want it to be unpredictable.

There is no hidden stacking, hidden task force compositions or anything like that in the game. Both players have a lot of intelligence regarding the other player's strengths, movements and positions.

I have played the game many times solitaire and never had any problems. Other playtesting has been team-based.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Sharp
United States
Bloomingdale
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I don't mean to be negative here, but if you go by that criteria, every war game could be listed as "1-x players". I think it is a little misleading.

I'm still looking at the game, and very well may buy it, but I just don't think it should be advertised that way.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Haggett
United States
Riverside
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't seen any advertising that emphasizes the solitaire play; the game would be a bit large for most gamers' solitaire efforts, I would think. The capsule game description (presumably copy from the little niche on the back of the box) on the Compass site does say "excellent" for solitaire suitability in the capsule summary (which is at least arguably the case with very little in the way of hidden information) but solitaire play is not mentioned once in any of the splash texts on that page.

I can certainly understand going back and forth on this one--it's alot of money and and a big game, so I'd like to think I'd play it sometime. But I don't have a game group so it would likely be solitaire (or perhaps playing on Vassal) for me. The upside is Ben and Wes have a good past history of providing interesting designs.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Sharp
United States
Bloomingdale
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Feralkoala wrote:
I haven't seen any advertising that emphasizes the solitaire play; the game would be a bit large for most gamers' solitaire efforts, I would think. The capsule game description (presumably copy from the little niche on the back of the box) on the Compass site does say "excellent" for solitaire suitability in the capsule summary (which is at least arguably the case with very little in the way of hidden information) but solitaire play is not mentioned once in any of the splash texts on that page.

I can certainly understand going back and forth on this one--it's alot of money and and a big game, so I'd like to think I'd play it sometime. But I don't have a game group so it would likely be solitaire (or perhaps playing on Vassal) for me. The upside is Ben and Wes have a good past history of providing interesting designs.


You know what? You're right. I went back and looked, and the only place that lists the game as "1-x players" is BGG. The box actually says 2 or more and great for solitaire. I apologize. I do think we need to change it on BGG though. I have submitted a correction.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Madison
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
blakmagik13 wrote:
I have submitted a correction.


Thank you -- I think you were right to do so.

That being said, I have never once decided not to play a game because it wasn't a "solitaire" game. I've been gaming since 1980 -- much more solitaire than competitively -- and personally I think that every game ever designed is a solitaire game. Even with hidden movement and hidden deployment, you just put yourself into "solitaire mode" and deal with it. It's a solution in search of a problem.
2 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Grotius
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Rule 9.6.6 does detail a solitaire option for using the Land Combat Mode Grid -- which is really the primary "hidden" feature of the game.


Hmm, I don't see a Rule 9.6.6 in the rulebook I downloaded from the Compass games website. I poked around and didn't see it in nearby sections either. Maybe I don't have the most up-to-date rules?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Haggett
United States
Riverside
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try 9.5.5
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.