Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am about 5 years into the hobby with a collection I am happy with. My purchases have slowed tremendously. I buy maybe a game a month and that one game has more of a chance of being a small filler than anything else.

When I do get the chance to attend one of my main groups once a month 12 hour game day, I do not look forward to it like I used to. The main reason is that I do not look forward to 30 minute rules explanations and having to grok the mechanisms and nuances of new heavy games. I do not mind learning new games that are light/family weight, but once you get to around a weight of 3.0 or higher, I just don't seem to have the patience I used to have. I enjoy heavier games I already know. Could this be because attention spans decrease over time and I am just getting old, or could it be that the new heavier games are retreads or more complex than they need to be?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmoothCJS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure that's its' not just you

Just out of curiosity, do you have a large amount of games that you specifically enjoy re-playing?

I'm the kind of person that loves variety, and I'll always love trying new games, but certainly as time goes on and my collection has more great (not just good) games, that I want to play-and-play-and-play, my desire to go learning other random new games diminishes, because playing a new good game isn't as fun as playing an old great game.

It could also be that you're just having a dip of interest in the hobby - That's certainly something that happens with all things I enjoy too, and when I step out of it for a little while I feel renewed when I get around to stepping back in =-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I Need More Coffee
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also have a lot less patience for new game rules. It's fatiguing to have to constantly learn something new that, when coupled with the "cult of the new"/constant mass acquisition of new games this hobby seems to have, you might only use once or twice before the group moves on to something else.

It reminds me of whenever there is a new version of Windows and you have to relearn where all the menus are now and how to do regular stuff when all you want to do is use your computer normally. If all you want to do is play a game why spend a portion of that available time on learning how to play a game, when instead you could actually be playing a game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
I am about 5 years into the hobby with a collection I am happy with. My purchases have slowed tremendously. I buy maybe a game a month and that one game has more of a chance of being a small filler than anything else.

When I do get the chance to attend one of my main groups once a month 12 hour game day, I do not look forward to it like I used to. The main reason is that I do not look forward to 30 minute rules explanations and having to grok the mechanisms and nuances of new heavy games. I do not mind learning new games that are light/family weight, but once you get to around a weight of 3.0 or higher, I just don't seem to have the patience I used to have. I enjoy heavier games I already know. Could this be because attention spans decrease over time and I am just getting old, or could it be that the new heavier games are retreads or more complex than they need to be?

Or your tastes are just changing, which could be independent of those two.
Maybe you can start a game group that just plays a few games a year, relatively heavy, but really delves into the strategy of them, with a lot of replays per game?
I'm sure there'd be interest. I'd be into that kind of group, myself. I'd join if I lived in your neck of the woods.

It's a hobby, for fun, no reason to not tailor your activities in it to what gives you the most enjoyment, right?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
For heavy games (and maybe even medium weight games) I prefer to read the rules myself than have someone teach me. I think I would get tired of listening to rules explanations after awhile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Smoothsmith wrote:
I'm sure that's its' not just you

Just out of curiosity, do you have a large amount of games that you specifically enjoy re-playing?

Yes. I actually quite enjoy playing games I already know and I have quite a few that I could play dozens of times a year if I had the chance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joe_salamone wrote:
For heavy games (and maybe even medium weight games) I prefer to read the rules myself than have someone teach me. I think I would get tired of listening to rules explanations after awhile.

So true. There are very few people who teach rules well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It may be you feel you are missing out on some of the depth these games offer, not all games can be learnt played and left alone but still let you feel you have truly explored them after a few plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Don't be humble... you're not that great."
mb
I'm tired of learning mediocre crappy uninspired games. I am all for learning kick ass games. Where are those?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you may be at the point where you've experienced enough games for now. You've invested your time in learning so many great games you enjoy that the amount of enjoyment you get from a new game isn't significantly more compared to the games you already know.
Why invest more when you don't get more. The want for more different games will come again no reason to force yourself to chase after it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Cult-of-the-new is incredibly strong and draws the crowd.
I still love a good game of Power Grid, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My game recently thought we should be replaying our games more often rather than always learning new ones. There is the option of watching videos before coming to game day/night. It may cut down on explanation time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hear you. I have reached the point where, when learning a new game, I just think "ah, that's like a combination of X and Y, with that cute mechanic from Z thrown in".

Like you, I have several games I could play weekly or more, and I am often sad that I cannot play my favourites as often as I'd like to. Still, I enjoy learning new games, but I do so in the hope of finding another game that I can really delve into - but those are getting fewer and fewer.

By the way, I think one game a month is still *a lot*. I think I bought 5 new games (and 3 expansions to T.I.M.E Stories) this year, and most of them were impulse buys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mbmbmbmbmb
I am tired of learning and teaching (usually while I am still learning myself) new games.

I am tired of trying to run teaching games (particularly games I don't know very well myself) against people that are concentrating on winning right out of the gate. Learning games is a bit of work and I don't have the bandwidth to be the operating system keeping the game engine running for all the players and also be a player.

One of the appeals of lifestyle games, to me, is the general expectation of getting to play against other players who already know how to play, at least most of the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Hjelmberg
Sweden
Saltsjö-Boo
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You're not alone. Although I still like to learn new games, I'd rather explore the depth of the many old games I've already learned and appreciated.

But alas, it's difficult to find players willing to play the old classics instead of shiny new games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick mullen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
See if you can convince your game group to alternate? One week we play only games we already know how to play, the next we play something new.

Personally I LOVE learning a new game, it's my favorite part of the hobby. Having to learn and really understand all of the rules can be challenging, but I find that makes the game experience feel more personal to me, and is one of the main elements putting it ahead of digital games at the moment. I don't find learning very fatiguing - depending on who I am learning with. However, I also make a point out of making sure we don't only play a good game once or twice. I've been trying to bring out oldies but goodies that we haven't played in a while. They are almost like new games at this point haha.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris leko
United States
Brooksville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
What's so great about it?
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just a lot more selective about what I buy these days. I buy maybe one game every 2-6 months now, but try to play what i have more often.

I've mostly figured out my own tastes and really only look for stuff within that. About 5 years ago, I was too busy trying to figure out what types of stuff I liked to actually know what I liked!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Seeing so many frequent threads like this one makes me thankful that the people I usually play with are happy to play games we all already know instead of playing a game once and then moving on to the next hot new game. (We also learn new games, of course, but apparently we play known games way more often than many BGG users do.)

(Playing familiar games many times also has the beneficial side effect of letting one have a much higher h-index, which seems very trendy.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
On the other hand, I love reading rules and learning/teaching new games. I guess we average three to four new ones a week. Friday usually is a GMT or other involved game, and the weeknight games are generally lighter fare, like a Winsome game or The Gallerist and a card game. Still not tired after nearly five years at this pace and forty years of gaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Platt
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
If I want complex rules with lots of stuff to do then I'll go play a video game. Where board games win out over video games is player interaction and player interaction can add so much depth to a game without the need for massive rule books and a million cards and components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Apostle Green
United States
Lake County
Illinois
flag msg tools
That is not dead which can eternal lie
mbmbmbmbmb
It's just you. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Oakes
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My favourite games are those where you learn how to play well over a long period, and there are still new situations and tricks after years of playing. This leads me to want to play Outpost, Power Grid, Agricola, Puerto, Keyflower, Caylus, El Grande repeatedly and be fairly unenthusiastic about learning new heavy games. Playing Scythe and Viticulture this year has massively reinforced this view.

I'm happy to learn lighter stuff most weeks (4 Essen games so far) but I'll leave a new heavy game alone unless it has great reviews with no obvious drawbacks or has a fantastic theme (Ponzi Scheme) or has been around some time and been played lots so I'm obviously missing out.

Also, some weeks I'm in a mood for lots of rules, but that's only every couple of months so it's usually the same boring classics as last time.

And I've no idea if there's a correlation, but I usually prefer to teach the games I know well because my group has some awful rules explainers who drive me mad (and some excellent ones who I leave to get on with it if they want).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So dont learn new games - problem solved!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Dean
United States
Escondido
CA
flag msg tools
The Golden Camel UberBadge is a mystery. Nobody knows where it came from or how it got there.
badge
No one expects the Spanish penguin!
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel like it's part of the progression.

You're introduced to something new (board gaming hobby).

It's a big hobby, it's exciting to learn a new game that's good.
But there's so many more! What else are you missing out on? You're motivated to explore more games to see what else is good. But they're all so good!

As you play more, you realize more what you dislike, what you like, and what you really like. The latter part is important. You learn that there are games you like, but there are countless of those. But there are still many games that you really like, that you prefer to the former.

You realize time is a limited asset, and you now know what you like, you don't need to explore the different areas, you have your favorites and you want to enjoy them.

You begin to realize time spent learning a new game that's good, but not awesome, is time lost on getting to play that awesome game. You no longer look forward to expanding your horizons. It's more exciting to stick with what you love. You've already seen the horizons.

Many people in our group have stopped attending game nights because each week it's learning a new game that they may or may not like. The only constant is that they will never play that game again, no matter how good. This isn't fun for them, so they stop attending. So I've been pushing an alternative to normal game nights where we replay games. Specific games at that, so people know what to look forward to, and people who love Age of Steam can show up when that's being played, and skip out on those 4X nights that they hate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Lola Cat 2010-2014
mbmbmbmbmb
Forget learning new games. I've always had a hard time with that. It's RE-learning the older games I have that makes me cry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.