Darius Blackwell
msg tools
mbmbmb
Ok so I got myself in quite a pickle - I thought that Blood Bowls is not cool - then i got console version (Blood Bowl 2) on PS4. It's great - sure sometiimes is a bit random and 1 in 36 roll (like 2 skulls on some easy attacks at the begining of a turn) can destroy all your plans BUT - IT IS SO MUCH FUN.

Then the board game came out - it looks nice and all but why would I need it when I can play the same game and never go out of players to play it with ? (something that is not easy thing to get around my parts).

Do any of you old time blood bowl players (the table top game ones) know differences and why board game is supperior to console one (I know minis are minis and stuff but if it is exactly the same with skills injuries and team development) ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When the Dark Times come, you can still play with a physical copy of the game. By candlelight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
sdiberar wrote:
When the Dark Times come, you can still play with a physical copy of the game. By candlelight.

The dark times came when I tried to spray undercoat my TV screen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Chew
United States
Concord Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Attack dog
mbmbmbmbmb
Because I hate video games.

And I like to inflict casualties in person and with emotion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Nors Jensen
Denmark
Kokkedal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are many other boardgames converted onto a digital platform. And I still prefer the real boardgames.

This is no different. Actually due to the miniatures, this is one that I really want!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Saloff
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
This is a rebellion, isn't it? I rebel.
badge
He's a card player, gambler, scoundrel. You'd like him.
mbmbmbmbmb
I always wanted this game to come back in the hope I could join a league and such, as that kind of thing is really fun. It's pretty much impossible to duplicate that experience online.

The closest to this kind of group that I got to do was an MLB Showdown CCG league at my FLGS back in like 2000 where we played out an entire season and playoffs.

Same with building your own team, painting them/designing their uniform/logo/colors exactly how you want, and then meeting up with other friends who have done the same.

It's just a cool thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Merritt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's something that is more enjoyable about face-to-face play in my opinion. Admittedly, the board game is probably going to take longer to play than the video game, with setup time, interpreting the dice rolls, the occasional pause to verify a rule or skill, etc that the video game does for you automatically, and the video game is cheaper by far than the physical game.

Still, it's very different than playing with a friend, or even a stranger, in person. Ultimately, you have to judge for yourself if the purchase would be worth your while. If you don't think you would find many people to play with in person, then you probably should give it a pass. If you have friends who like the video game, it would probably be fun to have a small tournament of your own with the physical game.

A fun thing to do is to tweak with the rules a bit. A number of years ago some friends and I had a BB tournament with squig rules. Squigs are pig-like creatures and were used instead of a ball. This meant that it could move on its own (using the scatter template before each turn) and certain ones had different properties, like slimy (harder to catch and pick up) or explosive (chance of exploding when caught). You can't do anything like this with a video game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
Seryjniak wrote:
Ok so I got myself in quite a pickle - I thought that Blood Bowls is not cool - then i got console version (Blood Bowl 2) on PS4. It's great - sure sometiimes is a bit random and 1 in 36 roll (like 2 skulls on some easy attacks at the begining of a turn) can destroy all your plans BUT - IT IS SO MUCH FUN.

Then the board game came out - it looks nice and all but why would I need it when I can play the same game and never go out of players to play it with ? (something that is not easy thing to get around my parts).

Do any of you old time blood bowl players (the table top game ones) know differences and why board game is supperior to console one (I know minis are minis and stuff but if it is exactly the same with skills injuries and team development) ?

If you're into just the gaming and nothing more, no real reason to get the real version.

Personally i'm more about the hobby, social aspect and a few games here and there - no digital version can replace it for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It's like asking why you should go out on dates when there's computer dating simulators on steam.

There's nothing wrong with the video game. A lot of people who play the board game also own and play the video game. It's a well done game. And if you enjoy it, play it. But it's no substitute for actually rolling the dice, meeting new people, and sharing experiences. The thrill of victory, the agony of defeat, the inevitable laughs. With other people right there who get it.

Hobby gaming is social. People make it better.

Reasons the board game is better?

1) It's tactile.

2) It's social.

3) You have more control.

4) You have more responsibility for what you do (rather than letting the computer remember the rules for you).

5) If you paint your miniatures you can take pride in them (nobody is going to be impressed by your use of the color selection palette in the videogame).

6) There's more chance to customize. Want to field a team of lego minifigs to represent your homebrew werewolf team? Go right ahead. Good luck with that on the PC version.

9) The chance to be part of a community of real gamers rather than putting up with immature rage quitters in online random matchups.

10) Not beholden to technology. When Cyanide decides to create Blood Bowl 3 and sell you all your teams all over again, you won't have to worry about hardware requirements or buy a new playstation.

But if your need for human interaction is satisfied by your console, then that's cool too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Physical dice don't cheat as much as the AI cheats with its rolls. Saying this as an owner of Blood Bowl and Blood Bowl 2 on consoles. Seriously, AI fails (meaning his player falls down) 2d-against blocks less than I do 2d-for blocks. Hell, they'll even throw 3d-against blocks and somehow knock down my player, I throw a 3d-for, triple skulls!

Plus, it might have mic (and chat I think), but it's not the same as rubbing it in after killing someone's player face to face devil . "Oh, your Star Player got wiped out, so sorry!" (cue South Park nipple twisting)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This game and the leagues is gonna be pretty damn big at almost every game store.

Even at stores that hate GW normally.

It's GWs X-Wing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darius Blackwell
msg tools
mbmbmb
Ok guys I should have said that I'm Warhammer player from 1996. I'm avid miniatures gamer. The problem is that there are so many great board games around - that I wanto to buy, that Blood Bowl can wait . I was wandering if table version is very different from digital one. In case of mordhaim - I hate it (on steam) - it plays nothing like real mini game and I find it clunky. Blood Bowl on the other hand plays very smooth and I heard that it's almost the same game as mini one.

Thanks for all the funny replies - brightened my evening a little

Also how do you think this comperes to Guild Ball devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan R
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
Seryjniak wrote:
Ok guys

how do you think this comperes to Guild Ball devil

PILE ON THE HUMAN!!!! Waaaaaaaggggghhhhhh!!!!!1111
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Seryjniak wrote:
Also how do you think this comperes to Guild Ball devil

Never heard of it but am assuming it's one of those uninspired Blood Bowl rip offs (and no this is not an invitation to tell me more about it, because I do not care). Clearly any athlete playing one of these lesser games only does so because he is not skilled enough to play Blood Bowl. Furthermore any team they could muster would be destroyed in a match against underfed halfling cheerleaders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin T
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Blood Bowl and Guild Ball are essentially nothing alike.

Blood Bowl is a football analog with interesting tactical choices played on a grid. In Blood Bowl the minis are mostly position players and the stats are derived from the race they are and the position they play. Tests are handled with various dice that use a range of iconography to resolve.

Guild Ball is a soccer analog with interesting tactical choices played on a open mat with measured movement. Each player in Guild Ball is unique. They each have their own stats, playbook, and personality. Tests are handled with standard D6s, no frills.

Both games are fantastic. I'd love to tell you to play both, honestly (and you can try GB totally free with the PNP on the steamforged site).

Blood Bowl is a solid sports board game with a great theme and hilarious gameplay.

Guild Ball is a tactical miniatures war game that happens to have a ball and goal posts.

Screw it, both games are great. Play both of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin West
United States
Woodford
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
just to repeat what everyone else has already stated probably more eloquently.....if you like the social interaction or the hobby aspect I'd suggest getting the physical copy. if you just like the look/style and gameplay then stick w/ the digital version.

for me I always feel like the board game ports to pc feel bland....maybe they should animate a hand moving the pieces or something

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
westcl2 wrote:
just to repeat what everyone else has already stated probably more eloquently.....if you like the social interaction or the hobby aspect I'd suggest getting the physical copy. if you just like the look/style and gameplay then stick w/ the digital version.

for me I always feel like the board game ports to pc feel bland....maybe they should animate a hand moving the pieces or something

The Blood Bowl video games is not a digitized boardgame.

It is pretty damn cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
DegenerateElite wrote:
westcl2 wrote:

It is pretty damn cool.

Sure they are.

And yes, they're pretty damn cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Nors Jensen
Denmark
Kokkedal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DegenerateElite wrote:

Yes it is!

Blood Bowl (first edition)
Blood Bowl (Second Edition)
Blood Bowl (Third Edition)
Blood Bowl: Living Rulebook
Blood Bowl (2016 edition)

It has quite a boardgame background

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nors wrote:
DegenerateElite wrote:

Yes it is!

What I mean is. It doesn't just look like a digital copy of the board with static pieces or flash animations.

It is a much more elaborate video game than most boardgame ports.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
DegenerateElite wrote:
Nors wrote:
DegenerateElite wrote:

Yes it is!

What I mean is. It doesn't just look like a digital copy of the board with static pieces or flash animations.

Same rules, same gameplay, same dice, same* teams. Doesn't matter it got fancy animations, vibrant sound and colorful commentators - still a digital version of the board game. Not saying it's a bad thing.

Compared to Mordheim for example which is adifferent game than the tabletop version but based on the same ip.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All of you know exactly what I am saying.

The PC game doesn't look like checkers on a iPad. The original comment I was responding to implied that.

Lots of games use the rules and dice rolls but look nothing like their paper counter parts. Like every Gold Box or Neverwinter D&D game.

Warhammer Total War looks nothing like the tabletop game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
monkehbwoy wrote:
DegenerateElite wrote:
Nors wrote:
DegenerateElite wrote:

Yes it is!

Same rules, same gameplay, same dice, same* teams. Doesn't matter it got fancy animations, vibrant sound and colorful commentators - still a digital version of the board game. Not saying it's a bad thing.

Compared to Mordheim for example which is adifferent game than the tabletop version but based on the same ip.

I actually quite like the Mordheim digital version. Obviously, they had to make changes with warband composition, but overall, I prefer the video game to the physical. The exact opposite of how I feel about Blood Bowl. The way the computer plays even on the hardest difficulty is boring, tedious, and entirely predictable. While it tries to execute various tactics, it is just too damn easy. The only way to play it is against people, and the best way to play against people is in real life.
Like an above poster mentioned, the Rage Quiting is insane, and the bs to join a league is far from worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
DegenerateElite wrote:

It's all right, John. I get you. You're basically saying it's significantly more sophisticated that a direct port across (so unlike the Talisman app, which literally has digital "miniatures" moving around a static picture of the board).

(Ugh. Edits for terrible typing.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Carr
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
DegenerateElite wrote:

I'm with you too John.

Sure, it's technically a port of the boardgame but referring to it as such to someone who doesn't know both is hugely misrepresentative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.