Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Professional creative visual communication: www.universalhead.com
badge
Game summaries and reference sheets: www.headlesshollow.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Since I just visited Japan, I feel the need to buy myself a copy of this game! But which version?

I'm thinking the deluxe version as it has the first expansion and the figurines, but would I be missing out on something? Or is it better to get the base game and the accessory pack?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Montoya
Colombia
Medellín
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deluxe.... you get everything from base game and Crossroads plus the bling for both (coins, minis for the characters, counters) and the game board is actually larger than the original to fit everything. You get everything up to that point* with this edition.

The accessory pack is for people that already have the base game and Crossroads, not just the base game. It comes with the bling to "upgrade" all the original components to the deluxe ones, but doesn't include decks of cads, the mini board and the rules from Crossroads. Getting the base and the pack doesn't give you all the components you need to play the expansion.

So, go with the Deluxe version unless you can get a very good deal and find base+expansion+accesory pack for significantly less money than the deluxe.

* I said up to that point because there is a second more recent expansion called Matsuri, and it doesn't come included with the deluxe edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Universal Head
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Many thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Molokov (AU)
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As Mauricio says, if you intend to get the miniatures and expansions, then go for the Deluxe version, as it has both expansions (Crossroads and Matsuri), minis, CD soundtrack, metal coins and a much larger board, and larger cards.

The only thing I noticed about the deluxe version that was a disappointing difference is that the hot springs cards no longer have monkeys!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Universal Head
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got the deluxe edition plus Matsuri. There's only the Crossroads expansion in the deluxe box.

Hope it's a good game, I've gone all in!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward B.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mearendil wrote:
Deluxe.... you get everything from base game and Crossroads plus the bling for both (coins, minis for the characters, counters) and the game board is actually larger than the original to fit everything. You get everything up to that point* with this edition.

The accessory pack is for people that already have the base game and Crossroads, not just the base game. It comes with the bling to "upgrade" all the original components to the deluxe ones, but doesn't include decks of cads, the mini board and the rules from Crossroads. Getting the base and the pack doesn't give you all the components you need to play the expansion.

So, go with the Deluxe version unless you can get a very good deal and find base+expansion+accesory pack for significantly less money than the deluxe.

* I said up to that point because there is a second more recent expansion called Matsuri, and it doesn't come included with the deluxe edition.

Does the accessory pack come with a larger board?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A flgs recently put the collectors upgrade pack on sale and i was interested in getting it but i had some questions.

1) i currently have the base game and cross roads. I dont know how many characters are in these two games, but does the upgrade pack have a corresponding mini figure for all the characters present in base game and crossroads?

2) i read in the past that using the figures on the original game board was too crowded as the spaces are way smaller than the figure bases. Is this true? If so i might steer away from the upgrade pack.

3) this same store also has matsurai on sale. I think this expansion also has characters but im guessing that the upgrade pack doesnt contain figures for matsurai, correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Gingrich
United States
Hilliard
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NeedsNewDice wrote:
mearendil wrote:

Does the accessory pack come with a larger board?

No, it does not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Montoya
Colombia
Medellín
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shooshoo wrote:
3) this same store also has matsurai on sale. I think this expansion also has characters but im guessing that the upgrade pack doesnt contain figures for matsurai, correct?

You're right, Matsuri came out after the deluxe edition/upgrade pack were released, so currently there are not any minis available for the 16 new characters that come with Matsuri.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike DiLisio
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mearendil wrote:
shooshoo wrote:

You're right, Matsuri came out after the deluxe edition/upgrade pack were released, so currently there are not any minis available for the 16 new characters that come with Matsuri.

Not exactly true. I have the Collector's Edition with the painted minis, and they include the Matsuri characters. This, of course, isn't available retail, but I'm sure it's out there on the secondary market.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Montoya
Colombia
Medellín
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There was a recent KS edition (the Collector's edition, also called Samurai Edition in some places) that came with everything in deluxe format for the base game and the 2 expansions, including painted minis for Matsuri, but you cannot just buy that one unless you are willing to pay a lot for a re-sold KS copy (the game is nice and beautiful, but not $400+ beautiful in my opinion).

The commercially available upgrade pack and Deluxe Edition (from 2015) have minis but they only cover the contents up to the Crossroads expansion, so they don't have any of the cards, tokens or the 16 new characters included in Matsuri.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LOL what a pain in the ass!

I might just buy Matsurai if it goes any cheaper. It doesn't sound like a necessary expansion and extra characters.... well there's already a ton of them.

FOr the price I would rather put the money towards something that's more worth the investment. Tokaido is not a game I play so frequently I need to pimp out to the highest degree. I mean it would be nice to have the whole kit but probably not worth the price it's going for.

Thanks for the info
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Montoya
Colombia
Medellín
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Matsuri is actually a very good expansion, and makes the game more thinkier and cutthroat, and gives you an incentive to arrive first at the inns for the chance to score extra or screw your opponents by selecting the next festival (the titular matsuri are traditional japanese festivities that change some rules for the next leg of the road, and can make some spots more or less desirable, or even unusable). Plus it adds as as many nwe characters as there were already in the base game + the first expansion.

This is a game where I never really felt the need to have miniatures for the characters because I think they clash with the minimalist design of everything else on the board. Matsuri is a fine (and cheap) expansion to miss it just because you won't have some matching minis on the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.