$5.00
$20.00
$15.00
$30.00
Jeremy Chakado
France
flag msg tools
Hello,

First of all, I own the French version of the game and I don't know the exact wording in the English one, I'll do my best to translate.

If I fail the test on the Cemetery I get to endure 2 Horrors or move to the Rivertown location.
If I choose to "move", is that an action ? Instinctively I would say "No" because it's a forced move, but actually I am given a choice, which is why I hesitate.

Second question : if there was an enemy waiting for me in the Cemetery, and I choose to move away from there after the failed test, has the Enemy already engaged me ? So he's following me, right ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
You only pay for actions you initiated unless otherwise stated. You initiated a move action into the Graveyard. It's forced reaction pushed you back out of the location to Rivertown. You paid one action to move to the Graveyard. You pay no action for the forced reaction that moves you back to Rivertown.

Your second question is more interesting. An enemy engages any investigator in their location if the enemy is unengaged and ready. The test for the forced reaction happens after you enter the Graveyard, flip the card and place clue tokens. I don't see anything that would suggest you are not "at" that locations the moment you enter it. In the LTP guide it specifies as one of the triggers for engagement the act of moving to the same location as a ready enemy, which would suggest once we initiated the move action into the Graveyard the enemy would engage even before the location card is flipped. Even still if there was doubt the Grim Rule would suggest that the enemy does engage and will move with you as you are forced to Rivertown. Though you did not initiate a Move action so the enemy does not get an attack of opportunity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Dockery
msg tools
mb
Not that Grim, actually, since an unengaged enemy in the Graveyard is most likely a cultist you want to kill.

Anyway, the Graveyard's forced effect reads "after," so it triggers after you fully resolve the effects of your move, which should include engaging any enemies there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Chakado
France
flag msg tools
phillosmaster wrote:
You only pay for actions you initiated unless otherwise stated.

Thanks a lot to you both, you make a lot of sense.
I tend to agree with you, but my doubt came from the fact that in the Cemetery your are given a choice, and that the move action might consequently be considered "initiated by me".
But the more I think of it, the more I agree with you. I already spent an action to move to the Cemetery only to be harshly sent back, that's punishment enough.

That solves also the question of the Attack of Opportunity. I do not take action to move, so no attack. Fine with me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.