King of Tokyo» Forums » Rules

Subject: Do you need a claw to enter Tokyo? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Raj B
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
I just ordered King of Tokyo so I've been reading the rules and watching vids.

1) In the rules it says if tokyo is empty you must enter tokyo. In the vids everyone plays that you need a claw to enter tokyo even if it's empty but i don't see that in the rules anywhere.

2) And if you get a claw do you HAVE TO enter tokyo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brodie
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
koolkat67 wrote:

1) In the rules it says if tokyo is empty you must enter tokyo. In the vids everyone plays that you need a claw to enter tokyo even if it's empty but i don't see that in the rules anywhere.

1. It used to be that you needed a claw, but I think they changed the rule so you enter if it's empty. Not positive on that (I own the first version).

2. Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brodie17 wrote:
koolkat67 wrote:

1. It used to be that you needed a claw, but I think they changed the rule so you enter if it's empty. Not positive on that (I own the first version).

2. Yes.

1) I just double checked both rulebooks and yeah the 1st edition required you to get a claw before you could take an empty Tokyo. The 2nd edition rules have changed it so that now the first player of the game MUST take Tokyo regardless of what is rolled.

2) This is now irrelevant since the first player will go there regardless. However, it's important to note that if a player surrenders Tokyo the attacking player MUST take it. Also, in order for a player to be able to surrender Tokyo they MUST take damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brodie
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thebaker1983 wrote:
Brodie17 wrote:
koolkat67 wrote:

2. Yes.

1) I just double checked both rulebooks and yeah the 1st edition required you to get a claw before you could take an empty Tokyo. The 2nd edition rules have changed it so that now the first player of the game MUST take Tokyo regardless of what is rolled.

2) This is now irrelevant since the first player will go there regardless. However, it's important to note that if a player surrenders Tokyo the attacking player MUST take it. Also, in order for a player to be able to surrender Tokyo they MUST take damage.

Do what Baker says.

Everything he wrote for #2 went on in my head...but I just wrote "Yes." Not super helpful...sorry about that

That will teach me to browse BGG on my phone while in line at In N Out.

Thanks for the proper explanations Baker!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brodie17 wrote:
thebaker1983 wrote:
Brodie17 wrote:
koolkat67 wrote:

2. Yes.

Do what Baker says.

Everything he wrote for #2 went on in my head...but I just wrote "Yes." Not super helpful...sorry about that

That will teach me to browse BGG on my phone while in line at In N Out.

Thanks for the proper explanations Baker!

No worries! I'm sitting at a desk right now so I could take my time but my "out and about" replies are much shorter and less detailed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raj B
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
Ok so it sounds like besides the game start, a monster is always in Tokyo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F. Nord
msg tools
mb
koolkat67 wrote:

... unless the monster in Tokyo dies, then the city is empty again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raj B
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
kahless666 wrote:
koolkat67 wrote:

But you smash monster then the next step is to enter tokyo if it's empty. So wouldn't you take over Tokyo if you kill a monster?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brodie
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
koolkat67 wrote:
kahless666 wrote:
koolkat67 wrote:

But you smash monster then the next step is to enter tokyo if it's empty. So wouldn't you take over Tokyo if you kill a monster?

Yes.

I'm not sure what Nord was trying to get at.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brodie17 wrote:
koolkat67 wrote:
kahless666 wrote:
koolkat67 wrote:

Yes.
I'm not sure what Nord was trying to get at.

The fact that you can kill other Monsters by buying cards (or other non-attack effects), which is after the "Enter Tokyo" step, thus leaving Tokyo empty until midway through the next player's turn.
There are at least 5 purchase cards in base game that can do this.
(Burrowing, Fire Blast, Gas Refinery, High Altitude Bombing, Poison Spit)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brodie
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah...I mis-read the new rule above. I thought it said that if Tokyo was empty, you had to enter. I missed the part where it said "first player".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brodie17 wrote:
Ah...I mis-read the new rule above. I thought it said that if Tokyo was empty, you had to enter.

No, you have it correct.
Linky to 2nd Edition rules:
http://iellogames.com/downloads/KOT2-rulebook_EN.pdf

The (2nd Edition) rule is:
"If no one is in Tokyo, you must enter and place your Monster in Tokyo City."

Step 1: Roll dice
Step 2: Resolve dice
Step 3: Enter Tokyo (if empty)
Step 4: Buy cards

Obviously it will be empty on the first player's turn.

And 'leaving Tokyo due to being attacked' is part of dice resolution, so Tokyo will be empty when the attacker 'checks if empty'.

The tricky thing is the Tokyo monster dying from something besides being attacked, which will leave Tokyo empty (briefly). Whichever player takes their turn next would have to enter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brodie
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perfect. Got it. For sure this time

Maybe I should buy the 2nd Edition though...juuuuuuuust to be on the safe side
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raj B
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
We also found in 5-6 player if one monster kills both in Tokyo in one shot then one location is empty until the next monsters turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grarrrg wrote:

The (2nd Edition) rule is:
"If no one is in Tokyo, you must enter and place your Monster in Tokyo City."

Step 1: Roll dice
Step 2: Resolve dice
Step 3: Enter Tokyo (if empty)
Step 4: Buy cards

Obviously it will be empty on the first player's turn.

And 'leaving Tokyo due to being attacked' is part of dice resolution, so Tokyo will be empty when the attacker 'checks if empty'.

I've got first edition, so I had the "must be attacked to leave" and didn't know about Step 3.

But wait - if it's the above, if I leave Tokyo due to being attacked as part of step 2, now Tokyo is empty, so in step 3 I have to go right back in?
Does that score another point for entry?

And does first player, upon entering an empty Tokyo, score the entry point?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
dtcarson wrote:
But wait - if it's the above, if I leave Tokyo due to being attacked as part of step 2, now Tokyo is empty, so in step 3 I have to go right back in?

No, because it's not your turn. It's the turn of the attacker, who must enter Tokyo (or Tokyo Bay) if possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brodie
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you leave Tokyo due to being attacked, the attacker goes in. No change there...that's always been the case.

Second question is a good one. I'm batting about .125 in this thread right now, but I'll give it another go.

I'm going to say yes, you do get points for going in. But now those with the 2nd version can correct me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brodie17 wrote:
I'm going to say yes, you do get points for going in. But now those with the 2nd version can correct me

Yes, you do gain points for "no attack/first turn entry".
(the rules don't specifically mention anything, so nothing changes)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.