Game and World Design: Darth Rimmer & Travis Watkins
Graphic Design: Travis Watkins
Writing: Spencer Collins, Dusty Watkins, Travis Watkins

Website and social media

Facebook: /imphouse
Instagram: imphouse
Twitter: @imphouse
BoardGameGeek: Savage Planet: The Fate of Fantos

Hey Everyone! My name is Travis Watkins, and I'm one of the designers of Savage Planet: The Fate of Fantos. The game is pretty far along in development (we're in deep in playtesting), and right now I'm working on the always challenging to write Rulebook. I thought this community might be a good place for me to share segments of the Rulebook for feedback as I ready them and also any other developments on the project.

Before I start on rules, I think it would better for me to share what our card game is about, and then start going through rules later if anyone seems interested.

The story setup goes something like this...

Hear me Citadels of Fantos! The Iridium Wars have ravaged long enough. Your planet is dying; its screams have summoned your doom. As Cosmic Warden and protector of planets I, Zodraz, have concluded that you are defilers, all. A great cull is required. Only one Citadel shall be granted absolution. The rest shall perish. Justify your worthiness and seal your fate!

Through the centuries, hordes of aliens and beasts from across the galaxy have descended upon Fantos in search of Iridium: the life force of all existence.

The disease of war and greed has made the planet sick. Zodraz, the Cosmic Warden and protector of planets, is bound by duty to heal it. The parasitic inhabitants of Fantos must now prepare for the cleansing trials ahead.

Only the brave and mighty citizens of the strongest Citadel shall survive. For when Zodraz arrives, all others will be burned from the planet.

Game Overview

Savage Planet: the Fates of Fantos is a card drafting game with co-operative and competitive elements.

Hire mercenaries (called Legacies) with shards from your Citadel and task them to harvest more shards, go to war with a neighboring Citadel or nominate them as the savior of Fantos.

Each time players harvest shards, they must reveal a card from the Trials Deck, bringing a new punishing challenge to the game.

Resolve them together as a planet or watch as rival Citadels struggle to survive.

Plan wisely and make every turn matter because Zodraz is lurking in the Trials deck. When the Cosmic Warden is drawn, judgement is passed and the game is over.

Rule Book

Here's a link to the rule book for those interested. It's very much a work in progress. I would love to hear what is making sense and what isn't. It's really helpful if you can highlight and leave comments in dropbox to what you are referring to.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xzrtnlksibrg3xy/SP_FOF_RB_PNP_LR.p...

If anyone is interested in some of the back story as to how we got it to this point, I have a blog over on our site with that information. I could share that info here to, but I thought that might annoy some folks. So here's a link instead for now. If someone wants me to start sharing those blog posts here as well, I'm happy to do so. Just say the word.
http://www.imphouse.com/savage-planet-design-log-welcome-to-...

Thanks for taking a look at our project. I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone thinks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Orel
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The artwork is gorgeous!

I'm keen too see more of this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I LOVE the visuals...it's like 80s fantasy meets Kirby dots meets Barsoom.

Subscribed, looking forward to the updates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Ayers
msg tools
Fantastic artwork. Loves the colours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corry Damey
United States
Twin Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, you've sucked me in with the theme and artwork! Subscribed and looking forward to hearing more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emanuele Buffagni
Italy
Modena
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The art is...WOW!

Really like the 80s feeling! Subscribed! thumbsup

Just my 2 cents: aren't the pink number on the card a little too...pink? I'm wondering how they could be with the same color of the border or plain white.

Looking forward to hear about the rules
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mohammed Bellafquih
France
flag msg tools
The game looks great and interesting. Really vibrant colors !

but i agree with Emanuele on the pink numbers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Watkins

Fort Worth
Texas
msg tools
designer
mb
Thanks for the encouragement! I want to share some more things, is it best to just reply and post the new things there? Or is it preferred that I edit/add to the original post so its always at the top? Like if I'm going to post a link to the rule book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe both, a reply to say "added blah blah blah" with edit to original post.

That way all your material in one place until you get anpage for the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Watkins

Fort Worth
Texas
msg tools
designer
mb
Do you mean a page like this?
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/209383/savage-planet-fat...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Watkins

Fort Worth
Texas
msg tools
designer
mb
Rule Book

Here's a link to the rule book for those interested. It's very much a work in progress. I would love to hear what is making sense and what isn't. It's really helpful if you can highlight and leave comments in dropbox to what you are referring to.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cdbubj9z5pwjbty/FOF%20WIP%20RULEBO...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Watkins

Fort Worth
Texas
msg tools
designer
mb
Here's what an in progress 6 player game looks like on a table.

There are 3 different decks in the game. The Legacy deck, the Labor deck, and the Trials deck. Right now, I'm gonna talk about the Legacy deck and how the cards that are in it work.

Legacy Cards

Legacies are individuals who are hired to run your Citadel. They are the gears and cogs that bring more Iridium into your stockpile. Iridium, or “shards,” is the currency of Fantos, the Savage Planet. We think of it a little like the spice melange in Dune. Fantos inhabitants use Iridium as food, fuel, building material, and some even say the shards are an aphrodisiac. So it’s a desirable commodity.

Legacies are the hired leaders that harvest the Iridium mine fields, declare war, defend your riches, vie for tribute, and look out for your best interests. Each Legacy is a unique snowflake possessing its own personal strengths, weaknesses, and special abilities.

In our The Fate of Fantos card game, players are assigned a Citadel located on the Savage Planet, and they attempt to run them in ways that gain the favor of Zodraz, the Cosmic Warden. They do this by hiring Legacies to work for their Citadels. Once hired, players task the Legacies to different actions depending on the roll of a die and/or the decisions of other players.

Legacies are also the only game characters allowed to play cards from their Citadel’s hands. Each Citadel holds a hand of 5 cards made up of bonuses, buffs, and disruptions, which Legacies can use to alter the course of the game in different ways.

I’ll get into more information about the specifics of these cards another time, promise. But, for now, let’s discuss some game mechanics…

Each Citadel starts the game with a stockpile of Iridium, and they can use the shards to hire Legacies out of a randomly drawn pool.

Each Legacy has a Hiring Cost, which is indicated in the top right corner of each card. So, let’s say I want to hire The Alchemist out of the current Legacy Pool. He’s going to cost my Citadel 5 Iridium shards. So I take 5 out of my Citadel’s stockpile, and I place them on top of the Alchemist card, which I have placed face up in front of me.

You might be wondering why I put the shards on top of the card? This is one of the things about the game that I really like. The Iridium on top of The Alchemist represents 2 things: (1) the shards are now his, which he can use to pay the costs of cards played from his Citadel’s hand, and (2) they represent his Hit Points. So, if The Alchemist chooses to play a card from the Citadel’s hand, you would discard the proper amount of Iridium shards from The Alchemist to pay the cost of playing the card from your hand. Discarded shards are placed into The Trove. (This is name we have given to the mine fields where Legacies go to harvest Iridium—it’s simply a big pile of Iridium tokens on the game table—The Trove sounds better.)

Defeat in war may also cause a Legacy to lose shards, which are also placed back into The Trove. Additionally, events and trials that may occur during the course of a game can reduce a Legacy’s shard count. If a Legacy runs out of shards, that card must then be discarded. So, a Legacy’s Iridium shards signify its buying power and its health, which all begins with its hiring cost.

Let’s look at the bottom of a Legacy card now. The first icon in the bottom left corner signifies the card’s Phase Condition—every Legacy character possesses one, and it tells the Citadel when the character’s unique ability can be used—and the other icons and numbers represent the stats this Legacy can contribute to three different types of Fantos Actions: Harvest, War, and Tribute. (I’ll go into how these different actions work at another time, but it’s important to know that the icons aren’t just for decoration.)

Finally, let’s discuss the Ability of the Legacy, which is described by the text on the card. Abilities are different for every single character, and can really add a boost to your Citadel that can also create problems for others. So, it’s important to read them closely and look for opportunities to to use them wisely throughout the game. All of the Abilities are activated in different ways: some are passive, some have cost, and others require you to task the Legacy to do it.

At this point you may be wondering what “task” the Legacy even means, right? Well, Citadels have to Task their Legacies in order to get them to do stuff. They don’t just magically read your mind and know what needs to be done. They must be Tasked.

Experienced gamers may already understand this game mechanic, but here is a detailed explanation for those new to the tabletop world. What do these two terms—Tasking and Un-Tasking—mean while playing The Fate of Fantos card game? Think of it like being at work and your boss asks you to deliver something to a client. Delivering a package is what you have been Tasked to do. You leave the office to deliver the package, and you are no longer at the office for your boss to assign you a different task. When you return to the office, you are now Un-Tasked and can be given something new to do.

So, how does this apply to the game? All actions in Savage Planet: The Fates of Fantos are performed by a Citadel’s hired Legacy characters. When a Legacy executes an action it is considered Tasked. Some taskable actions include: going to Harvest, declaring War, defending your Citadel, being nominated as Tribute, using some Legacy abilities, and playing certain Labor cards from your hand. When a Legacy is Tasked, it can not execute, or participate in other actions until it becomes Un-Tasked.

Now, you might be wondering: how can I tell when a Legacy is Tasked or Un-Tasked? It’s easy: the Legacy card simply gets turned 90-degrees sideways. Then, all of a Citadel’s previously Tasked Legacies are Un-Tasked at the beginning of the next turn. To Un-Task a Legacy, simply return the card to its upright position.

And…that’s about it for Tasking and Un-Tasking—pretty straightforward, right? Next time, I’ll start explaining the different types of actions a Legacy can be Tasked to perform.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Watkins

Fort Worth
Texas
msg tools
designer
mb
Previously we established that every Citadel craves Iridium, and they use their hired Legacies to bring more shards in by Tasking them. However, we have yet to expand on the actions a to which a Legacy can be tasked in order to collect those valuable shards. So now I’m going to be explaining the different Fantos Actions that are available to Citadels during the Fantos Action Phase.

The Fantos Action Phase takes place at the beginning of each Citadel’s turn, after the player has drawn up to the maximum hand size from the Labor Deck (we’ll get into the Labor cards in another blog) and Un-Tasked all of the Citadel’s Legacies. During this phase a Citadel has the chance to perform ONE of 3 different Fantos Actions: Harvest, War, or Tribute. Today we’ll go over what it means to Harvest.

When a Citadel harvests, it Tasks one, some, or all of its Legacies to mine the Iridium fields for precious shards. This occurs in 4 steps:

1. The Citadel gathers its work force. It does this by Tasking as many of its currently Un-Tasked Legacies as as it wants to send to the iridium fields. (Remember: once a Legacy is Tasked, it remains so until the beginning of the next turn, so be careful with Tasking. You may not want to leave your Citadel undefended.)
2. The Citadel tallies its Base Harvest Score. This is done by adding up the sum of the Harvesting Stats on each of its Legacies tasked to the Harvest. The Harvesting Stat is the number on all Legacy Cards next to the Harvest Icon, which is identified as a mountain with 3 shards hovering above it.
3.The Citadel performs one roll of the Shard Die for each of the Legacies tasked to the Harvest. (It’s also important to note here that Legacies may hire Laborers from the Citadel’s hand to boost their Harvest score any time before they establish their final Harvest Score.) The rolled total is added to the Legacies’ base Harvest Score to create the Final Harvest Score.
4. Once the Final Harvest Score is tallied, the Legacies then Harvest the shards to bring back to the Citadel. The Final Harvest Score translates to the number of shards gained from The Trove. Shards are added to the Citadel’s stockpile.

Here’s an example:

A Citadel tasks its Blacksmith and Cook to Harvest.

The Blacksmith has a Harvesting Stat of 3 and the Cook a 2, giving a total of 5 for the Base Harvest Score.

The Citadel then rolls the Shard Die once for the Blacksmith, and once for the Cook, resulting in a rolls of 1 and 2. These two numbers are added to the Base Harvest Score of 5, giving the Citadel a Total Harvest Score of 8.

The Citadel takes 8 Shards from The Trove and adds them to its stockpile.

Who knew mining could be so simple, right? Next time I’ll review everyone’s favorite pastime, War.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Orel
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is looking better and better with each update.

Great work guys!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emanuele Buffagni
Italy
Modena
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Look very cool. I think that a view of the table in the middle of a game is a fantastic and colorful 80s immersion

Quick question: is the die a d3? I'm just trying to understand how much impact has the die during the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Watkins

Fort Worth
Texas
msg tools
designer
mb
There are 2 dice in the game. Both are D6s.

The Shard Die has three 1 pip faces, two 2 pip faces, and one 3 pip face.
The Fantos Die has three Harvest faces, two War faces, and one Tribute face.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Watkins

Fort Worth
Texas
msg tools
designer
mb
Hey Everyone,

It's been awhile since I've posted anything. But that doesn't mean I haven't been busy working on the game. I took into consideration how some of you felt about the pink numbers at the bottom of the Legacy cards and worked on a redesign of the layout. My goal was to make the card text more readable, the Action Phase Icon more noticeable, all while covering as little of the art as possible. This is what I came up with. What do you think?

I also put in quite a bit of work on the rulebook. You can see the updated version here. I'm curious to hear from those of you that checked it our previously if the rules flow better and are easy to understand.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xzrtnlksibrg3xy/SP_FOF_RB_PNP_LR.p...

I'm also excited to announce that the game is slated for a Kickstarter launch date of April 20, 2017!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emanuele Buffagni
Italy
Modena
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
rio9 wrote:
I took into consideration how some of you felt about the pink numbers at the bottom of the Legacy cards and worked on a redesign of the layout. My goal was to make the card text more readable, the Action Phase Icon more noticeable, all while covering as little of the art as possible. This is what I came up with. What do you think?

I think you really did a great job! They are even better than before
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Watkins

Fort Worth
Texas
msg tools
designer
mb
Thanks Emanuele!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Watkins

Fort Worth
Texas
msg tools
designer
mb
Here's a few more images of the redesigned card layouts from the other decks.

These are cards from the Labor deck.

These are cards from the Trials deck.

And here is what the backs of the three decks look like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Orel
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is looking better every time I see it.

I'm glad you were able to make the cards easier to understand while keeping that gorgeous artwork front and centre!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Watkins

Fort Worth
Texas
msg tools
designer
mb
Thanks Andrew!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Watkins

Fort Worth
Texas
msg tools
designer
mb
For those interested in trying out Savage Planet: The Fate of Fantos, you can play it online for free on Tabletopia. Just click the link below, there is no need to create an account to try it.

https://tabletopia.com/playground/fateoffantos-fkdru7/play-n...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.