$20.00
Recommend
7 
 Thumb up
 Hide
93 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

Terra Mystica» Forums » Organized Play

Subject: TM tournament season 16 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Juho Snellman
Switzerland
Zurich
Zurich
flag msg tools
mb
Signups are open for season 16 at http://tmtour.org/
9 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wolfpacker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
11 days before start
521 signups
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
4 days before start: 840 signups
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wolfpacker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
3 Days before start: 863 players

889 needed to fill D7.

S10 had 811 players (no D8).
S11 had 949 players.
S12 had 1006 players.
S13 had 958 players.
S14 had 940 players.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wolfpacker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
2 Days 6 hours before start: 891 players for S16

889 needed to fill D7. 896 needed to start D8 L1.

S10 had 811 players (no D8).
S11 had 949 players.
S12 had 1006 players.
S13 had 958 players.
S14 had 940 players.
S15 had 984 players.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wolfpacker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
1 Day before start: 933 players for S16

So the tournament has increased by over 100 players for the same start time last year.

S10 had 811 players (no D8) <- Last Dec start.
S11 had 949 players.
S12 had 1006 players.
S13 had 958 players.
S14 had 940 players.
S15 had 984 players.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wolfpacker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
6 hours before start: 954 players for S16

S10 had 811 players (no D8) <- Last Dec start.
S11 had 949 players.
S12 had 1006 players.
S13 had 958 players.
S14 had 940 players.
S15 had 984 players.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wolfpacker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
GAMES LIVE
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hawaiian
msg tools
green gray brown black is the new

blue gray yellow black
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petri Savola
Finland
Espoo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
evitageN wrote:
green gray brown black is the new

blue gray yellow black

In division 1, 6 out of 7 games have black, brown and gray in them and only one game has the traditional MEND setup. I guess some players are no longer happy playing MEND as Nomads or Mermaids and the easiest way to escape that meta is to pick brown before Nomads are taken.

It's funny that this happens to be the meta which was around when Terra Mystica was played in Finnish boardgame championships back in 2014. Back then it was very typical that 3 first players pick black, brown and gray in some order.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wolfpacker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
^What was the format of the championship? Did you have to be good at several different games to win or was there a championship for each game? I think a board game decathlon would be interesting.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hawaiian
msg tools
Petri wrote:
evitageN wrote:
green gray brown black is the new

blue gray yellow black

In division 1, 6 out of 7 games have black, brown and gray in them and only one game has the traditional MEND setup. I guess some players are no longer happy playing MEND as Nomads or Mermaids and the easiest way to escape that meta is to pick brown before Nomads are taken.

It's funny that this happens to be the meta which was around when Terra Mystica was played in Finnish boardgame championships back in 2014. Back then it was very typical that 3 first players pick black, brown and gray in some order.


Yup, I'm excited to learn and see how it plays out Xevoc.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We had a real "live"-game". Already finished since one day:

http://terra.snellman.net/faction/4pLeague_S16_D5L6_G5

respect.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petri Savola
Finland
Espoo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
JamesWolfpacker wrote:
^What was the format of the championship? Did you have to be good at several different games to win or was there a championship for each game? I think a board game decathlon would be interesting.

It's an annual team tournament for 4 player teams. The tournament consists of 4 games and each player gets to play all games once. Your team gets 5/3/2/1 tournament points from the games and the team with most points after 4 rounds wins. Every year the set of games is different and the tournament is also qualification for Europe Masters tournament.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Petri wrote:
JamesWolfpacker wrote:
^What was the format of the championship? Did you have to be good at several different games to win or was there a championship for each game? I think a board game decathlon would be interesting.

It's an annual team tournament for 4 player teams. The tournament consists of 4 games and each player gets to play all games once. Your team gets 5/3/2/1 tournament points from the games and the team with most points after 4 rounds wins. Every year the set of games is different and the tournament is also qualification for Europe Masters tournament.


We have the same format here in Germany, but Terra Mystica had never been one of the chosen games.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Drake
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Bubibear wrote:
We had a real "live"-game". Already finished since one day:

http://terra.snellman.net/faction/4pLeague_S16_D5L6_G5

respect.


I want to play in that league!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hawaiian
msg tools
Petri wrote:
JamesWolfpacker wrote:
^What was the format of the championship? Did you have to be good at several different games to win or was there a championship for each game? I think a board game decathlon would be interesting.

It's an annual team tournament for 4 player teams. The tournament consists of 4 games and each player gets to play all games once. Your team gets 5/3/2/1 tournament points from the games and the team with most points after 4 rounds wins. Every year the set of games is different and the tournament is also qualification for Europe Masters tournament.


Obviously it's early but curious to see where these games in Division 1 go as you've missed out on FAV11. I know you know your stuff better than I do.

Again not asking what your thinking is since we're still in round 1 and it's wayy to early.

So i'll leave it at this, curious to see these games play out!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petri Savola
Finland
Espoo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
evitageN wrote:
Obviously it's early but curious to see where these games in Division 1 go as you've missed out on FAV11. I know you know your stuff better than I do.

Again not asking what your thinking is since we're still in round 1 and it's wayy to early.

So i'll leave it at this, curious to see these games play out!

I'm often happy when I miss fav11 so I get a chance to try many other options which I believe are sometimes stronger and sometimes weaker than fav11.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hawaiian
msg tools
Petri wrote:
evitageN wrote:
Obviously it's early but curious to see where these games in Division 1 go as you've missed out on FAV11. I know you know your stuff better than I do.

Again not asking what your thinking is since we're still in round 1 and it's wayy to early.

So i'll leave it at this, curious to see these games play out!

I'm often happy when I miss fav11 so I get a chance to try many other options which I believe are sometimes stronger and sometimes weaker than fav11.


Good to know it being a myth that it is needed every game. As a player who has been playing for a little under a year I'm still trying to figure things out.

This game last season was real impressive without it. (Shoutout to Fujiwara)

http://terra.snellman.net/faction/4pLeague_S15_D2L1_G4



 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gambia
Brest
msg tools
evitageN wrote:
Petri wrote:
evitageN wrote:
Obviously it's early but curious to see where these games in Division 1 go as you've missed out on FAV11. I know you know your stuff better than I do.

Again not asking what your thinking is since we're still in round 1 and it's wayy to early.

So i'll leave it at this, curious to see these games play out!

I'm often happy when I miss fav11 so I get a chance to try many other options which I believe are sometimes stronger and sometimes weaker than fav11.


Good to know it being a myth that it is needed every game. As a player who has been playing for a little under a year I'm still trying to figure things out.

This game last season was real impressive without it. (Shoutout to Fujiwara)

http://terra.snellman.net/faction/4pLeague_S15_D2L1_G4





Without Engineers mistake that gave Fuji a godly round 2, it's not as impressive as it looks at first. However it's still a very nice win.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
Bubibear wrote:
We had a real "live"-game". Already finished since one day:

http://terra.snellman.net/faction/4pLeague_S16_D5L6_G5

respect.


Looks like we'll be done with all games within this week. I'm pretty confident I'm never going to have such a fast tournament again laugh.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam
msg tools
mbmbmb
evitageN wrote:
Petri wrote:
evitageN wrote:
Obviously it's early but curious to see where these games in Division 1 go as you've missed out on FAV11. I know you know your stuff better than I do.

Again not asking what your thinking is since we're still in round 1 and it's wayy to early.

So i'll leave it at this, curious to see these games play out!

I'm often happy when I miss fav11 so I get a chance to try many other options which I believe are sometimes stronger and sometimes weaker than fav11.


Good to know it being a myth that it is needed every game. As a player who has been playing for a little under a year I'm still trying to figure things out.

This game last season was real impressive without it. (Shoutout to Fujiwara)

http://terra.snellman.net/faction/4pLeague_S15_D2L1_G4


It's certainly not necessary in every game, and you are certain to miss it occasionally. At the very least everyone should be prepared to play without it when necessary. I did a tally recently, and I end up with Fav11 in fewer than half of my tournament style games. (I won't have it in any of my tournament games this season). I obviously don't play at the very highest levels, but I'm still competitive. If you have other ways to score points, it is absolutely viable to forego fav11 in exchange for other advantages. Plus, I've always found it more fun to play with an unorthodox style. (That's why the Latvian Gambit is my most used opening at chess tournaments).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Haas
United States
Mountain View
CA
flag msg tools
Yeah, speaking as a slightly-less-good player, FAV11 strikes me as basically a conservative but safe play. It isn't always the best option, but its rarely a bad one - in contrast to some of the other opening moves that can be either awesome or dreadful depending on the circumstances.

I haven't figured out if I actually prefer the more unorthodox games or if they're mostly fun as a change of pace, but its certainly true that the weird ones tend to be more memorable. I don't remember very many of the games I played when I was first learning the game early this year, but the one where I scored 20 points off a first turn FAV12 is definitely one of the exceptions .
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Space Trucker
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Concerning fav11 there actually three different scenarios:
a) you are at fourth/fifth seat, fav11 has run out and you have to do something else
b) you are at first to third seat, you could secure fav11, but may decide to do sth. more important instead
c) you could take fav11 but you want another fav

on a) - fav11 is gone:
No choice anyway, live with it.

on b) - reasons to let others have fav11 while doing sth. else could be:
1. Getting a very strong power action while others build their temple. This could e.g. be a spade power action. When you maybe finish round 1 with 3 or even 4 dwellings and one temple this way (but no fav11) you are often in a much better shape than a player who just rushes fav11 and gets no spade at all, finishing the round with only 2 structures.
2. Securing an absolutely crucial hex. Sometimes there a hexes on the board that you totally need to have to build a town, to be able to expand,... but others want it, too. Securing the hex and taking another tile may well be worth it.

on c) - reasons to take an other fav while fav11 is still safely available:
1. You openend with many dwellings before temple and have already build too many structures to score really much with fav11 anymore. Classic example would be a shipping start with dwelling rush.
2. You can get something really good (usually a spade) from cults if you take something else. With 4earth>>spade a dwarve would probably consider fav7 (2 earth, +1w, +1pw), the income is strong and with the spade it results in even more income...
3. You need recources from an income tile to afford something crucial next round. Taking the fav9-tile (+3c) might for example enable you to directly afford a second temple in round 2.

Good tiles for a round 1 temple are generally speaking fav7 (earth 2), fav8 (air 2), fav9 (fire 1) and fav11, in some cases fav6 (water 2) and fav10 (water 1) may be viable.

Generally comparing an imcome tile and a scoring tile is not easy. Of course not getting those 20...26 vps from fav11 is huge, but on the other hand more early income means building more early stuff, which results in an even stronger economy. A stronger economy means more ways to score, maybe advance digging, maybe score more points by round bonus and BONs, maybe one or two structures more do mean a lot of points in networks or one more town, a second temple may mean winning cults,....

As rules of thumb I'd say:
- Strongly consider taking fav10 in time if you do not take fav11 with a faction without scoring ability
- If you take an income/cult favor you need to have a good plan how to use it well
- If you do not score with favs there have to be very good other plans to score

(slight rework of an old post)


Steve496 wrote:
Yeah, speaking as a slightly-less-good player (...)

Division 4 is already the top 11% of the tournament - no need to hide one's light under a bushel...
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Haas
United States
Mountain View
CA
flag msg tools
SpaceTrucker wrote:
Division 4 is already the top 11% of the tournament - no need to hide one's light under a bushel...


Wasn't trying to be overmodest, I just didn't want to overstate my credentials when replying to a D3 player who'd just described themselves as "competitive".
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.