Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Terry Kirk
United Kingdom
Barnsley
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I started a twitter account for a game I plan to release next year.

Within an hour I had about 12 followers, but about 90% don't seem genuine. I think they are just following in hopes of making a quick buck.

https://mobile.twitter.com/FactionsECG/followers

What should I do? That's if there is even anything I can do?

I'd rather have 3 genuine followers than 300 who don't really care about what I have to say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
kirkatronics wrote:

I'd rather have 3 genuine followers than 300 who don't really care about what I have to say.

Isn't that how social media works?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Kirk
United Kingdom
Barnsley
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always assumed it was meant to connect people with mutual interests.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Golden Week 2017 TOKYO bullet KYOTO
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
https://twitter.com/FactionsECG/followers (without the ghastly mobile)

These are bots. You cannot stop them from following you unless you alter your settings to restrict followers by making your tweets Private. Obviously, that would be counter to your goals.

You have two choices.

1. Ignore them.

2. Block them. On the followers page, each profile has a little cog icon. Click on that, select Report, click through to report them for spam and block them. Gradually they will go away until the next lot lamps on you.

These bots scan the twitter firehose to look for key words. Tweet the word soviet and a soviet bot will respond. Tweet depression or suicide and a love bot will tell you you are loved. Tweet kickstarter and you'll get kickstarter bots and so on and so on and so forth.

You'll learn the bots by their non-sequiturs and RTs of obvious spam. A few months ago, I got dozens of gamer bots following me, all telling me the Beatles couldn't hear their amps because of the screaming.

If you are a steady tweeter, you will build a following and these bots will be a mild nuisance and a smaller percentage of your followers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Kirk
United Kingdom
Barnsley
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
https://twitter.com/FactionsECG/followers (without the ghastly mobile)

These are bots. You cannot stop them from following you unless you alter your settings to restrict followers by making your tweets Private. Obviously, that would be counter to your goals.

You have two choices.

1. Ignore them.

2. Block them. On the followers page, each profile has a little cog icon. Click on that, select Report, click through to report them for spam and block them. Gradually they will go away until the next lot lamps on you.

These bots scan the twitter firehose to look for key words. Tweet the word soviet and a soviet bot will respond. Tweet depression or suicide and a love bot will tell you you are loved. Tweet kickstarter and you'll get kickstarter bots and so on and so on and so forth.

You'll learn the bots by their non-sequiturs and RTs of obvious spam. A few months ago, I got dozens of gamer bots following me, all telling me the Beatles couldn't hear their amps because of the screaming.

If you are a steady tweeter, you will build a following and these bots will be a mild nuisance and a smaller percentage of your followers.

Looks like i will have to grin and bare it. I was happy that i got some followers so quickly only to find they were all advertisements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Golden Week 2017 TOKYO bullet KYOTO
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kirkatronics wrote:
i will have to grin and bare it.

If you're going to bare it whilst grinning on Twitter, expect 1000s of followers...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The ones I find most annoying are the "Favstar" ones. Blech.
But I give them the same report and block treatment as the others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
galad2003 wrote:
That's why I hate twitter and avoid it.
Sadly in the modern world, if you want to do any marketing & advertising to a younger demographic, you simply can't just avoid it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:
That's why I hate twitter and avoid it.

...because there are fake users out there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At least you can use the fake accounts to boost your numbers in terms of followers you have in terms of promotional numbers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.