7 Posts

Payoff Pitch Baseball» Forums » General

Subject: Suggestion for Baseball Game Designers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jack North
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
(First off...I am LOVING this game. It's one of the fastest, cleanest tabletop baseball games. I haven't played them all, but for almost 50 years I've played a bunch. I'm particularly enjoying getting away from the confines of playing with real-life teams/players, and am using the fictional set for now. I'll undoubtedly return to sim play at some point.)

Now...to the suggestion:

It would be easier, for new players especially, if the number or letter rating hierarchy remain consistent throughout the game as much as possible. In Payoff Pitch, the letter ratings do so (i.e. an "A" rating in any category is always the best, an "F" the worst,) but numerical ratings do not. For example, a "1" is great for an ARM or ERR rating. (Catchers with an ARM rating of 1 will cut down far more stolen bases; fielders with an ERR 1 will commit far fewer errors.) In these cases, lower numbers are best. ("That catcher's got a first class arm...it's #1!")

Conversely, a "1" pitcher hitting card is the worst, while a "6" or "7" hitting card is good. The same is true with RUN ratings; lower numbers are not as good as higher numbers. Why not have top runners, "1st class" runners so to speak, rated #1 instead of #9?

In PPB, double plays are kind of a mixed bag, and handled very well, I think. Batters benefit from a lower number, while pitchers do better with higher numbers. (Since a double play only occurs if the 2D6 is equal to or lower than both ratings.)

I realize it's way too late to implement this in PPB, but I just thought I'd mention the possibility for future designs?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Mc Donald
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
Well, as long as we're spitballing ideas... I want to see games played listed alongside the eligible positions. Case in point:

Felix Mantilla
1964 Boston
Positions listed on card:
2B
LF
RF
SS
3B

And although the positions are listed in descending order of likelihood (which is good) you still have some wide gulfs in real-world usage:
2B = 398 innings
LF = 293 innings
RF = 61 innings
SS = 47.1 innings
3B = 48 innings
CF = 21 innings

So as a manager I have no way of knowing usage patterns apart from, "Well, I guess he was in more games at the position listed first." All it would take would be to include innings or games in a column right next to the positions. There's definitely room on the card, especially if you shorten "Position" to just "Pos."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Bryan
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Hi Jack. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll keep that in mind in future designs.

With Payoff Pitch Baseball, having the running ratings and arm ratings inverse is an integral part of the play mechanic when determining runner advancement. A runners Run rating is better the higher the number is while the fielder's Arm rating is better the lower it is. This was done to limit the number of rolls needed to determine if a runner advances or not. For example, let's assume a runner has a Run rating of 7, the fielder has an Arm rating of 5 and the dice roll is 4. Compare the dice roll of 4 to the Runner's Run rating (7) and fielder's Arm rating (5). Since the dice roll is less than both, the runner advances safely. If the dice roll had been an 8, that is higher than both the Arm and Run ratings, so the runner is out trying advance. When the dice roll is between the Arm rating and Run rating, for example a dice roll of 6, the percentile dice (read 00 - 99) are rolled to determine the result of the play and introduce the possibility of an error and/or injury.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Bryan
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mb
fightcitymayor wrote:
Well, as long as we're spitballing ideas... I want to see games played listed alongside the eligible positions. Case in point:

Felix Mantilla
1964 Boston
Positions listed on card:
2B
LF
RF
SS
3B

And although the positions are listed in descending order of likelihood (which is good) you still have some wide gulfs in real-world usage:
2B = 398 innings
LF = 293 innings
RF = 61 innings
SS = 47.1 innings
3B = 48 innings
CF = 21 innings

So as a manager I have no way of knowing usage patterns apart from, "Well, I guess he was in more games at the position listed first." All it would take would be to include innings or games in a column right next to the positions. There's definitely room on the card, especially if you shorten "Position" to just "Pos."

I agree this information would be useful if it could be added to the cards. While it looks like there may be enough space for it, the printed and pre-cut cards are done in Adobe In-Design by the publisher (I create the ratings and send the raw data to him and he magically produces the cards) and I've been told there is no more room in that section of the card. I will check again to see what, if anything, we can do.

Thanks,

Joe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Mc Donald
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
statfreak wrote:
I agree this information would be useful if it could be added to the cards. While it looks like there may be enough space for it, the printed and pre-cut cards are done in Adobe In-Design by the publisher (I create the ratings and send the raw data to him and he magically produces the cards) and I've been told there is no more room in that section of the card. I will check again to see what, if anything, we can do.

Thanks,

Joe
You want me to rough him up a bit? Some space might magically open up after that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack North
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi, Joe! Thanks for the reply. I hadn't thought of the mechanics involved. I think I get it, now.

Speaking of runner advancement, and while I have your attention; I have come up with an experimental house rule involving the Hit & Run chart. As it is now, the chart says that if the batter strikes out, the lead runner must attempt a stolen base using the F1 (worst) rating regardless of the actual Steal/Arm ratings involved. I understand why, but it still bugged me when I had a A-rated stealer versus some 3 or 4 rated catcher. So I made an exception for those cases; they use the next-to-worst category (F4, D3,etc) instead. I know this muddies up an clean and simple game with more geeky minutiae, but I just feel those A players deserve some kind of concession to their abilities. I wouldn't suggest this as an official rule, because the game is nice and slim as is. But it is an example of how your game is open to customization by players to suit their tastes.

Anyway, I am enjoying the hell out of your game. Thanks. Have a great New Year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack North
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Another option may be to bold the positions the player most often plays (2B and LF in the example). Or, bold the positions the player has played at least X number of games (25-ish?)

That, in addition to the current system of listing them in order of frequency, would give a sort of picture of how often a player could be used at various positions. Not as precise as listing number of games played, but it would take up very little extra room. (I'm thinking that if a manager has played someone at a certain position for, say, 25 games, that player must be reasonably able at the position?)

2B
LF
RF
SS
3B

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.