Subject: Purpose of research tokens rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Micheal Smith
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
No this isn't another thread to talk about the number of research tokens

Is there any purpose for the back side of the research tokens (balloon, microscope, camera)? Or are they purely just flavor for the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrone ..................
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They appear to just be there for flavor, which is a shame. Their only purpose is to grant extra Prestige points to those that take the risky yellow die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Micheal Smith
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Thats what I thought, but I wasn't sure. Now I could then see it for possible expansion. I see a lot of room for expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy
England
Chorleywood
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
musclecarlover07 wrote:
Thats what I thought, but I wasn't sure. Now I could then see it for possible expansion. I see a lot of room for expansions.

It's easy top see a variant where you only get points for unique tokens, or extra points for a 'set'

But as for expansions what do you have in mind? I was thinking that this was a game that has already excluded expansions.

After all there isn't any space for another player on the board, and in the end it is simulating ac real event.

I guess you could use the same mechanics to play climbing everest in 1952, but that's more of a new game than an expansion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adhil Patel
South Africa
Cape Town
Western Cape
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess expansions could take us into a slightly different realm (Cthulhu Mountains of Madness anyone?) or even make the game a little heavier, by making more of the different roles. Each player could get a player board to manage their team in some way...?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Perry Grosshans
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you look back at the Updates in the Kickstarter, you'll see that one of the last stretch goals was supposed to be a At the Mountains of Madness scenario.
Since the end of the campaign that stretch goal disappeared (I'm 99% positive it was there, honest! I'm not going MAD, lol!), but the updates does clearly say that the back of the Research Tokens was meant for that, and other expansions. :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy
England
Chorleywood
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Avataarkaap wrote:
I guess expansions could take us into a slightly different realm (Cthulhu Mountains of Madness anyone?) or even make the game a little heavier, by making more of the different roles. Each player could get a player board to manage their team in some way...?

I bought into the game because of the theme, and the same has appealed to others in our group, so going fantasy doesnt work for me.

I relly like the game but a little more player interaction wouldnt hurt. How about bidding for technologies at the beginning (using crates)

Eg for a motorized sledge, dogs, latest maps etc.

Or rather than bidding the hold on you ship limits the amount of equipment you can take.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.