Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
I really can't
Spain
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I really like this game, but I rarely play it because usually the games take longer than the time I normally have (I'm a slow player, I have to admit modest). Lately, I've been playing Great Battles of Alexander more (another game system that I love), specially thanks to the nice Simple GBoH ruleset. Do you guys know of something similar for the Musket & Pike Battle Series? I've been taking a look at Avec Infini Regret II, but I don't know if those rules can be adapted to SiA...

Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Guelphs and Ghibellines is a great game that is part of a family of similar games produced by Europa Simulazioni.

Complexity is between Men of Iron and Saints in Armor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IcantExplain wrote:
I've been taking a look at Avec Infini Regret II, but I don't know if those rules can be adapted to SiA...

I have some notes to accomplish that very thing (a Simple MPBS ruleset) but in the end I abandoned the project as requiring the removal of too much of what makes the MPBS so unique and good. I'll see if I can dig up the files though, maybe somebody else can build on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mb
sdiberar wrote:
IcantExplain wrote:
I've been taking a look at Avec Infini Regret II, but I don't know if those rules can be adapted to SiA...

I have some notes to accomplish that very thing (a Simple MPBS ruleset) but in the end I abandoned the project as requiring the removal of too much of what makes the MPBS so unique and good. I'll see if I can dig up the files though, maybe somebody else can build on it.

I have been pondering your question and I realized that a lot of what I like about the series lies at the heart of the mechanics which is where any complexity originates I believe. They impart the period feel.

Maybe try to simplify cavalry charge/interception as that can be somewhat time consuming? And ignore casualty thresholds?

Good luck with your quest. It pleases me that you are enjoying GBoH also.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The number one thing that AIR (and its brethren) do to simplify the systems is combine the three-fold "damage" system (formation/casualties/morale) into a single scale. That removes most of the marker clutter. They also delete one of the three orders. These things could be done to MPBS as it stands, though you would lose a lot of the nuance in the more extreme units in some battles (the 40+ SP units come to mind as being unsuited to this simplification).

I found it better to just play the original system more and get familiar with it. Against other experienced players, it moves quickly enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.