GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,631 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Slaughterball» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Finishing my 10X10 of Slaughterball on the Quad rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
Playing more games is better!
badge
Collecting games is not playing games!
mbmbmbmbmb
Today I got to get my 10th game in for the year of Slaughterball. This is not nearly enough games of Slaughterball but most of the year I was on third shift and gaming became much more difficult to get going. Being a zombie makes gaming tough. So now that I am a spring (winter?) chicken on second shiftand sleeping at night, the ball has been rolling. There have been some massive benefits to this. As a gamer I eat, breathe and sleep rules. They stick in my brain like darts on a board but for others playing a game once every couple months leaves them with big giant holes in their memories. Being able to get in a bunch of games in a short period of time has been fantastic and I'll tell you why.

So my primary opponent OCDave (not his real name) is a good sport with games, but he is more of a hands on get results kind of guy. But he took to Slaughterball, had a lot of questions and was worried about understanding the cards when we first started playing. Understandably as knowing when to use a card can be game changing. Like when I attacked him today with my first action in round 5 and we tied and both fell down and he played the Lost Momentum card, boom, my turn was over. Fortunately I was ahead by ten or so points at that time, but it was a perfect play. He understood it. The hesitation is gone. The cards are played with a finality (in certain cases lethality) and an assuredness that I never thought I would see. No longer asking what a card does or how much he can move, he is on this game.

One round he scored two goals, right up close and just missed his last dice roll for what we call the Slaughterball Hat Trick: three goals in a round. I was rooting for my opponent and his lumbering brutes to reach this milestone. On my turn I made it, although I made three short shots to hedge my bets. We may need to make a trophy.

Some other highlights include attacking his razor with my one and only cleaver inly to get a penalty card played on me. Then I thought, he can't have another so I stomped one of his downed Slashers with my Butcher with a brute card and only rolled two knives higher than he did. Boom another penalty card came out, luckily the ref was looking the other way according to the card I played. He was not expecting that. Most of the game I was high scorer and he kept getting the ball to his guys on my turn and then using his turn to inch his score up with one and two pointers. I racked up a good lead early then had to resort to short shots as he had the scoring areas and ball returns pretty well covered. On his last action on the last round (he was first coach) he needed four points to tie and after activating his Cleaver to grab the ball he put on a burst of speed and got to within four spots of the goal. He had three dice to get four knives. He picked up his dice and shook them with great fury and a gleam in his eye. The bones were rolled. Two knives on one die, a star and a carnage face. No goal, game over, man. It was close, he had no accuracy cards or anything else to play and the game ended but the Carnage team held their heads high for they fought the good fight.

As for me, I was proud of OCDave. The game is internalized for him. It makes sense. He is using his auto-carve to keep me in check. I had a couple interrupt cards tucked away just in case but the threat is usually enough to keep my razor from running away. One thing I did realize and I told him is that I need to play another team, half my team on the board not only scores him no points for hitting but can result in a penalty, plus my slasher was in the penalty box, depriving him of a chance to score by beating him. So next time we play I am going to try out a new team, I am thinking Nemesis. Really give him a team he can crunch into(plus the blue steel Robocop look works for me.

We will see if his score rises with more targets to bash. I look forward to more games going forward and getting my new teams painted. Debating whether to start with Furies or Gruesomes, then Katanas then Legion. Plus I need to paint the darn bases of my swords, the red is throwing me off. I may go do that right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Codarin
Italy
Udine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nice seeing the game getting played! i have an unfortunate case of being unable to play it because we are alwyas more than 4 people! Also i don't have much time to paint the remining stuff (and i have still a lot of other stuff to finish before starting this)

But the few time i played it i had a blast!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darklaw90 wrote:
nice seeing the game getting played! i have an unfortunate case of being unable to play it because we are alwyas more than 4 people! Also i don't have much time to paint the remining stuff (and i have still a lot of other stuff to finish before starting this)

But the few time i played it i had a blast!

I have the opposite issues, some games I cant play because it is so tough to get more than four together...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
badge
"Its eyes were widening, widening, and in those black pupils, each as big as a softball, Ritchie saw the mad darkness that must exist over the rim of the universe; he saw a shitty happiness that he felt would drive him insane."
mbmbmbmbmb
"C'mon, OCDave! I keep rootin' for ya!"
Those Nemesis Butchers look fantastic Reed.
Nice session report.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'de bet you he kicks my butt Carnage vs Nemesis. I won't have my quick scorers to get an early lead.

Thank you kindly, I need to set up my light box and get pics of all my dudes and dudettes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.