Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Lisboa» Forums » General

Subject: Game duration rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
From the game reviews I've seen, the game looks quite complex. Do you have any idea about the duration accuracy? It states 60-120 minutes but I fear it might be one of those games that extends forever...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At first I thought the same thing, but the more videos I watched (first Grogan's, then the three Rahdo videos), the game seemed much easier to grasp. You can really only do one of two things on your turn, either play a card to your personal tablet, or play a card to the royal court, so I don't see much in the way of AP potential here. Of course, the ramification of those choices is significant, but I gather a four player game will take no longer than 2.5 hours and that's for relative newbies. I bet experienced players can easily finish in less than two hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Morse
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My first playtest of the prototype via Tabletopia, with some rules not quite nailed down, and having to learn the … unique … Tabletopia interface, it still took just a few hours. Your actions are somewhat driven by the cards in your hand, so you can have your turn mostly or entirely planned before it comes around. Kill the downtime (and eliminate trying to figure out how to look at specific portions of the playfield, and how to manipulate bits), and it should zip along!

To paint Evan's summary a in a little more detail, yes, you either put a card in your portfolio or in the royal court. Each of those plays lets you take one of two actions, so really there are four actions. Ah, but of course each of these actions leads to more intricacy and delicacy! For example, by trading with the nobles, you can choose up to two State actions from 6 available.

It's good stuff, with plenty to think about and make it very interesting (and it is saturated with theme, in my opinion), but do not be mistaken: It is not a tra-la-la simple game. …which is why it is awesome, and why it took Vital to create it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian O'Toole
Australia
Queens Park
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I taught three new players at PAX, one of whom had never played a Vital game before (or anything comparatively heavy), the it took three hours including teaching, plus a few short breaks for chatting to people. The game has a great sense of pace, and escalation through the different card decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Pombo
Uruguay
Zapican
Lavalleja
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From my near 50 plays, 45 min per player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Frost

Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmb
pmduque wrote:
From the game reviews I've seen, the game looks quite complex. Do you have any idea about the duration accuracy? It states 60-120 minutes but I fear it might be one of those games that extends forever...

Watch some of the play/run-through videos. The basic mechanism with the cards appears similar, in many respects, to the great game ZhangQuo, which also looked daunting at first until you realized how simple the cards were (either play one on the board to take one of 6 court actions or tuck the card under your player board for future activation use). Once players understand that, the rest is rather simple. But with lots of strategy and tactics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Pombo
Uruguay
Zapican
Lavalleja
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Once you get to know rules and steps you can speed the game a lot since the mechanics are simple.
Never played it on cardboard. Only playtesting in Tabletopia.

You can even try to speed up the game by collecting rubble sets as fast as possible.
But maybe you need to slow the game down because of the strategy your are following.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.