B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got an opportunity to play this at Euroquest 2016 - it was on the Essen table and since it was a 2 player game that piqued my interest.

As I was reading the rules I got this odd feeling that I'd played the game before, and halfway through I realized that I was reading slightly modified rules to Campaign Manager 2008.

There were some minor variations, but a lot of the mechanics were the same.

Tiles representing provinces/states

45 cards, drafted 3 at a time into a 15 card deck.

A 4 point track trending between two sides. Rich/Poor in Sola Fide; key issues for CM2008.

5 Premarked control spaces and the need to fill a side with your own control on the dominant side of the tile to win it.

Going Negative / Using Military causing benefits for the opponent via a d6 roll.

The points are tighter because the spread is closer (5-7 points + possible bonus points vs up to 10 points of swing for state electoral counts).

- - -

For those who have played both - if you own one, is there any reason to own the other?

And which is the preferred game of these two very similar cousins?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Benson
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I heard this, and it prompted my interest in Campaign Manager 2008 on yucata.de. Now I've picked it up second hand and will be happy without Sola Fide for now.

I should add that so far none of the reviews of sola fide have got me interested enough to buy it and I haven't had any other chance to play it yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
I got an opportunity to play this at Euroquest 2016 - it was on the Essen table and since it was a 2 player game that piqued my interest.

As I was reading the rules I got this odd feeling that I'd played the game before, and halfway through I realized that I was reading slightly modified rules to Campaign Manager 2008.

There were some minor variations, but a lot of the mechanics were the same.

Tiles representing provinces/states

45 cards, drafted 3 at a time into a 15 card deck.

A 4 point track trending between two sides. Rich/Poor in Sola Fide; key issues for CM2008.

5 Premarked control spaces and the need to fill a side with your own control on the dominant side of the tile to win it.

Going Negative / Using Military causing benefits for the opponent via a d6 roll.

The points are tighter because the spread is closer (5-7 points + possible bonus points vs up to 10 points of swing for state electoral counts).

- - -

For those who have played both - if you own one, is there any reason to own the other?

And which is the preferred game of these two very similar cousins?

Importantly, does SF do anything to change the CM strategy of "draw your entire deck" (by means of playing "...and draw a card" actions)? CM often came down to who could get their entire deck in their hands and/or had better luck in the draft phase to avoid too much clumping of the "...and draw a card" actions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Davis
United States
Sewickley
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At the end of your turn, you can only have 5 cards in your hand. You have to discard down to 5 if you have more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I've heard of "house rules" for CM2008 where there's a end-of-turn card limit, usually set between 5 and 8.

CM2008 also seems to have more 'dominance track' choices over the Sola Fide "noble/peasant" track.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
flag msg tools
Likes playing Papacy in Here I Stand board game!!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking of adding a house rule when I get SF that if u don't like ur current hand of five cards u can discard the full 5 cards and draw 5 cards. The actions would be play one card or draw one card or discard the full 5 cards and draw 5 cards. So there would be 3 actions instead of two. Anyways i'm looking forward to release and playing a few games with my parents or brother because I think its a good introductory board/card game that is light on rules. goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not overly sure how addition of a house rule addresses the similarities/differences with CM2008

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
flag msg tools
Likes playing Papacy in Here I Stand board game!!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yeh on that point with similarities/differences with cm2008, I don't know as I haven't played cm2008.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your contributions?

If you want to talk about variations, consider starting a new thread in the
Variants section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Bridges
United States
Nazareth
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood and probably themselves will not be realized.
mbmbmbmbmb
Considering Campaign Manager is broken without a hand limit...whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.