Popular Tags: [View All]
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, if there is another thread out there that might answer my question, don't hesitate to post a link

OK, I finally got my wife to try Blue Moon and she has fallen in love with it, as well have I. We are currently acquiring all of the expansion decks and having a good 'ol time We love the battling mechanic and the special characteristics each deck has. The artwork is pretty sweet as well.

Now, for the longest time I have been interested in CCG's but have never played one for no other reason than I don't like the "collectible" aspect of it. Not only for monetary concerns but time concerns as well. I don't know that much about them, and I may be way off base thinking that Blue Moon and CCG's have ANYTHING in common, but that is why I am asking

Would there be a chance that we would like a CCG?

What I am looking for is a good "non-scary" or overly violent card game that has a simple battling mechanic that we could enjoy and add to a little at a time. The two that stand out to me immediately are obviously MTG and WoW CCG. The Chuthlu one looks cool to me, but I know my wife wouldn't go for it That being said, I don't think Pokemon or the like would be out of the question as my wife loves cutesy stuff as well

I really would like to find something that is relatively cheap to set up and keep. Ebay would be fine but it doesn't have to be used. I am not looking at buying a ton of boosters and such b/c I just want something simple that my wife can handle, and me for that matter Precon decks are appealing because the deck building may be a bit much for us atm.

I have looked at the WoW CCG starter kits and have noticed that there are a few out there. Do they both have to be from the "Heros of Azertoh" decks to be able to play against each other, or can they be from either one? Same goes for MTG or Pokemon or whatever. Like I said, I know nothing of CCG's.

Ok, now you may have have finished reading this and might be thinking to yourself that "this guy has no idea what he is getting into" --- that is fine. That is why I am asking

I appreciate the help and suggestions....

Thanks

P.S. BTW we do not play WoW online just in case you were wondering how that might affect our decision. I don't know anything of the WoW universe, I just think the artwork and style was very pleasing
TGOV

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
To approach the Other in conversation is to welcome his expression, in which at each instant he overflows the idea a thought would carry away from it. It is therefore to receive from the Other beyond the capacity of the I...
badge
To approach the Other in conversation is to welcome his expression, in which at each instant he overflows the idea a thought would carry away from it. It is therefore to receive from the Other beyond the capacity of the I...
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow might be ok. One of the reasons is that you can play semi cooperatively against raid decks. What happens is that a team of players play against one person with the raid deck (basically an uber deck you can buy that is premade). I play it on occaision. Most CCGs more complex than blue moon in terms of card interaction. Both Magic and WoW are quite similar. I would pick WoW over magic unless you want to play competitively, then I would go for magic.

You could also consider Middle Earth. I like this game quite a lot (although personally I prefer starwars ccg and Vampire), but it is a great 2 player game and if you like lord of the rings at all the theme is pretty cool (this wasn't a selling point for me though). You functionally play competing parties struggling to muster armies to defeat sauron or dunk the ring in Mt doom to win. You can also play the bad guys, including ring wraithes or sauron himself. It i a pretty cool game, although it is more complex than magic and wow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff King
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic is obviously the old player on the block. I personally don't care for the game anymore, but it is still going strong and worth a look.

WoW is getting a pretty decent following here locally and the CCG players that have picked it up think it is a pretty good game that is standinn up for itself beyond the potential gimmick factor it had.

My personal favorite is A Game of Thrones though. I love the mechnics and I love the books the game is based on. My wife tried one or two CCGs and did not like them for one reason or the other. She instantly took to AGOT and has built her own deck and even played in a draft tournament. I went from playing no CCGs anymore to running local AGOT tournaments and demoing the game at GenCon for Fantasy Flight Games.

If you want to at least check it out, FFG put up a new player primer you can look through: http://www.agameofthrones.com/PDF/agotnewplayerguide.pdf It is 25 pages, but it covers a lot of different topics about game play and deck building, even going through some game rounds, etc.

Beyond the mechanics, I like AGOT for the fact that I don't think it is as big of a rare chase as other CCGs I have seen. You can build decent decks without rares and I've even had common/uncommon tournaments to show that to new players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mendon Dornbrook
United States
Phoenix
AZ
flag msg tools
"Go with the grace and protection of the Lord." It's the usual mantra for the big hero.
badge
The ticket to the future is always open.
mbmbmbmbmb
There are two ways to go about getting into a CCG limited environment (i.e. you are only going to buy so much and then your done.) You can either go with pre-fabricated decks that have been specifically designed to play one against another or you can investigate a little into the game, find a base set that no one is using any more, and then purchase a good amount of cards for relatively cheap.

I would love to recommend you to L5R (Legend of the Five Rings), however, you should be aware that (I think) it has the greatest diversity of card types and probably one of the more complex methods of play. I think that the L5R artwork is among the most attractive in the CCG realm, especially the most recent artwork. There are a number of overproduced decks that have been produced since the game began that are relatively cheap to pick up and will play well against the other deck (beware of mixing and matching between sets for L5R, or any CCG, prefab decks).
Most notably there are:
1. The Battle of Beiden Pass ($5-$10ish)
2. Storms Over Matsu Palace ($20ish)
both of which will teach you to play as you go in your first game. These might be a fun way to try the game and have the advantage of being comparatively cheap to buying starters and boosters. You should note that pretty much every CCG has tournament level decks for sale that you can buy to play against one another, Magic: The Gathering especially as it's been around for so long, just make sure that the decks you are buying belong to the same tournament regulations.

As for other games that have the advantage of being boxable (i.e. all you need to play comes with the purchase) you may want to think about looking into Iliad. The theme is pretty ridiculous, it has Greeks fighting one another outside the walls of Troy as opposed to actually sieging Troy (wtf?) but is a simpler form of an opposed card game. It would be a step or two down from Blue Moon in complexity and probably challenge as well, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
mdornbrook wrote:

As for other games that have the advantage of being boxable (i.e. all you need to play comes with the purchase) you may want to think about looking into Iliad. The theme is pretty ridiculous, it has Greeks fighting one another outside the walls of Troy as opposed to actually sieging Troy (wtf?) but is a simpler form of an opposed card game. It would be a step or two down from Blue Moon in complexity and probably challenge as well, though.

I just picked up Iliad last week. I have yet to actually play it, but from reading the rules, it seems like it would be better suited for 3 or more. L5R looks cool, but I think it might be a bit complicated from the looks of it. I may be wrong though.

Thanks for the info so far Keep it coming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Campbell
United States
Excelsior
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First, let me say that I've tried Blue Moon several times and it just hasn't flipped my switch.

I have however caught the bug for Magic the Gathering (casual play, not tournament). The game is great and the system is very flexible.

I've been picking up cheap commons and uncommons on e-bay, supplemented with the occasional booster pack. I love the ability to mix the various mana colors to make up some pretty cool decks.

I play with my 10-year old daughter. We just knocked out three games in 45 minutes tonight (she won 2 of the 3). The matches were close and we had a lot of fun.

I'd also recommend Roma and Jambo. Both are two-player games with a CCG feel. My wife enjoys both very much.

Good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You might want to check out this list:

Non-collectible card games with CCG-type qualities
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/21597
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Half the fun of many CCG's is deck building. If you prefer to play rather than build decks, I'd stay away from CCG's. I highly recommend Scarab Lords and Minotaur Lords, both by Reiner Knizia who designed Blue Moon. Both have CCG like play, but the focus is on play rather than deck building.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Heaton
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it will be just you and the wife, you could try Magic the Gathering (MtG). Search ebay for "MtG lot" and you will find plenty of cards cheaply. One guy seems to sell 1000 card lots for $30, plus $15 for S&H.

Most of these cards will be common cards, with some uncommons and a few rares. One of those lots should provide the two of you with plenty of cards to play with, at an affordable price. If you find that you enjoy the game, you can always buy more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Amstutz
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
I can read you mind
badge
I am the eye in the sky, looking at you. I can read you mind. I am the maker of rules, dealing with fools. i can cheat you blind. And I don't need to see anymore to know that....
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me chime in my .02GG worth. I have not played any TCG/CCG's, other than Magic. That having been said....

Magic is a great game. It's fun, competetive, and is complex and constantly evolving. For casual play, it's very cool. However, since they are constantly evolving the game, making new cards, reprinting old ones, and making new mechanics, the temptation is always there to "get in over your head", so to speak, and end up spending a lot more $$$ than you ever intended. [This is compounded because Wizards Of the Coast allows the competetive side of the house run the game, and Pro Magic absolutely requires constant change.] If you can avoid the temptation, great! Unfortunately, there's a lot of folks, like me, who have fallen into that trap. (I'm currently going cold turkey, with the help of BGG!) The other side of the coin, however, is that without new cards, the game can get rather dull, and predictable. As you basically memorize what's in the few decks you have, there are no suprises left. Find a way to balance those extremes, and it's an awesome game!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wayne r
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Half the fun of CCGs is in building a deck. With CCGs, the more cards you have, the more options available to you in creating a deck the way you envision it. That's whre the money sink enters the picture. Of course, you can go the theme deck route where the decks are already preconstructed and fairly fun but they are not always balanced against one another.

Magic is a great place to start. The rules are simple and there are many articles to help newbies with the deckbuilding and playing. One of the biggest complaint of Magic (and really has to do with any CCGs in general) is that it is really hard to keep up with the Jones. That is true more towards competative play but it shouldn't effect you since you only plan to play with your wife. Another is the rarity. In Magic a rare card is pretty powerful and may unbalance the game. Another is what is termed mana screwage where the cost of paying for a card is hindered due to lack of the appropriate card to pay for bringing a card into play. Many of the next gen CCGs have addressed this.

Despite some of the problems, it has held up to time due to some very innovative mechanics. It's amazing how the designers has kept the game fresh for over 10 years. Another is the gameplay. The rules while simple has many nuances which doesn't become immediately apparant until you play with more experioenced players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Bradley
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Scotland
flag msg tools
The WoW CCG is rubbish. Very primitive. Magic on the other hand, is the most beautiful game in the world. Seriously. My wife also loves Blue Moon and I intend to try to make it the stepping stone to Magic, which she has resisted for 10 years, probably because I am *SO* into it.

However, I dont think the transition is automatic by any means. When you play Blue Moon, are you using the deck building rules to build new decks all the time? If you are, and enjoy this aspect as much as playing the game, then it is likely you will love Magic. If not, you might HATE Magic.

I recommend this...

When each new Magic set comes out, it is accompanied by 4 "preconstructed" decks. In many ways these are just like the Blue Moon decks. They are balanced, and you can play them out the box without ever changing a single card. I'd start there, with a couple of these to see if you like it.

However the drawback is that you will need to learn to play Magic. You really cannot do this by reading the (online) rulebook, as it is 100 pages long and gets extremely bogged down in places. You need someone to teach you really. 90% of the rules of Magic can be learned in 30 mins, with an expert teaching you. The rest is small print and gets very very complex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nasty McHaggis
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
I'm pouring all of my points in sarcasm.
badge
Box next to hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
GaryB wrote:
The WoW CCG is rubbish. Very primitive. Magic on the other hand, is the most beautiful game in the world. Seriously. My wife also loves Blue Moon and I intend to try to make it the stepping stone to Magic, which she has resisted for 10 years, probably because I am *SO* into it.

However, I dont think the transition is automatic by any means. When you play Blue Moon, are you using the deck building rules to build new decks all the time? If you are, and enjoy this aspect as much as playing the game, then it is likely you will love Magic. If not, you might HATE Magic.

I recommend this...

When each new Magic set comes out, it is accompanied by 4 "preconstructed" decks. In many ways these are just like the Blue Moon decks. They are balanced, and you can play them out the box without ever changing a single card. I'd start there, with a couple of these to see if you like it.

However the drawback is that you will need to learn to play Magic. You really cannot do this by reading the (online) rulebook, as it is 100 pages long and gets extremely bogged down in places. You need someone to teach you really. 90% of the rules of Magic can be learned in 30 mins, with an expert teaching you. The rest is small print and gets very very complex.

I was going to recommend something similar to this. My wife and I got started playing MTG by picking up, on a whim, a 7th edition starter set. You could pick up a 9th ed. starter now for about 15 bucks.

The starter sets are great products. They come with 2 decks, each containing some very simple cards. Also included are some more complex cards that you can add later once you get the basic mechanics down. Plus, you get one nice foil rare. The rulebook that comes with the starter is very user friendly, and walks you through a few sample programmed turns.

I can't recommend MTG enough. It has provided countless hours of fun for me, my wife and my gaming buddy at work for a very low cost. If you're in the mood for a quick duel, just break our your decks and go... each game lasts 15 - 20 minutes on the average.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to check out some card games that sort of play like CCGs but aren't collectible, such as:

Hera and Zeus (2-player only)
Fairy Tale (plays 2 to 5)
Gambit Royale (plays 2 to 6)
Coppertwaddle (2-player only)
Camelot Legends (plays 2 to 4)
Caesar & Cleopatra (2-player only)
Atlas & Zeus (2-player only)
Ivanhoe (plays 2 to 5)
Kung Fu Fighting (plays 2 to 6)
Starship Catan (2-player only)
San Juan (plays 2 to 4)
 Thumb up