25 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Looking for a new family game for 3-6 players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Deb W
Canada
flag msg tools
Looking to add a new game to our collection as a family holiday gift. The kids are (almost) 8 & 12 and both enjoy games and have a good attention span...though the older one sometimes has to be coaxed to join these days. Anyway, looking for something fun for the 4 of us, but during the holidays we'll be with two more adults. They aren't into games quite as much as we are, and may not both play at the same time, as they can be competitive with each other and that doesn't always end well!

Some of the current family favourites are Bang, Dominion, King of Tokyo, Catan, Saboteur, Escape, Survive: Escape from Atlantis, TTR, Labyrinth, Carcassonne. Kids love Dixit and Coup though I'm not so keen on either of those, and I love Power Grid but the kids find it too long. But that gives an idea of what we like/already have and what plays well for us. Looking for something that plays in less than an hour.

I have a big wish list but just don't have the time to research what would be good for the family, so welcoming suggestions! And if it happens to also play well with 2 or 3, that would be a bonus. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Annemarie Post
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Isle of Skye: From Chieftain to King is great for these kind of purposes. It's only 2-5, though. It plays really well with 3-5 and is okay with 2 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We love 7 Wonders.

Castle Panic is fun too, but skews toward the younger kids.

We're looking closely at Shadows Over Camelot - you might want to check that out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Churchill
United Kingdom
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmb
pitch car
Tobago
shadows over camelot
Arctic scavengers looks good (just ordered it myself)
Telestrations
Survive escape from atlantis is a fav in our house
ticket to ride
Diamant 2016 edition (was incan gold)
Mission Red Planet (second edition)
Kingsburg
and definitely Love Letter

All good family stuff good for kids and adults and play in around an hour

cheers
Baz

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
What about Dark Dealings? The theme should please youngsters are you are an evil overlord trying to smash the heroes that come after you. Don't worry, it's not dark at all as the theme is goofy and the artwork cartoony as can be!

It's a fast game with draft, bidding and memorizing, as well as a puzzly aspect, that plays from 1 to 6 players. I can't get enough of it myself

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Cheng
Hong Kong
Ma On Shan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think most kids don't have patience to play more than 60 min, so playing time should be the main concern.

Splendor 2-4P 30 min
Happy Pigs 3-6P 40 min
Camel Up 2-8P 30 min
Room 25 1-6P 30 min
Deception: Murder in Hong Kong 4-12P 20 min
TransAmerica 2-6P 30 min
Wooolf!! 4-8P 30 min

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik G
Netherlands
Waalre
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Splendor also came to my mind

What about Catan?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Case
msg tools
Another vote for 7 Wonders, and you could also check out:

Mystery of the Abbey
Alhambra
Scotland Yard
Hoity Toity (out of print, but I think it's available here on the Geek Market for trade or for reasonable price)
Citadels

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Churchill
United Kingdom
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmb
casaubon wrote:
Splendor also came to my mind

What about Catan?

They have Catan already

I have splendor and whilst only played it a couple of times found it very dull, thinly themed are not really a family fun game. Lovely components though....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek
United States
Brazil
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend Small World.

It requires an expansion to play 6, but it's worth it.

Edit: removed Survive, as I see OP already has it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Gerig
United States
Upland
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Professor X wrote:
We love 7 Wonders.

Castle Panic is fun too, but skews toward the younger kids.

We're looking closely at Shadows Over Camelot - you might want to check that out.

Agreed on 7 Wonders, although it's terrible with 2 and only meh with 3. Definitely better with more.

Nefarious plays well up to 6, has an amusing theme with humorous cards and art, and isn't too weighty. But it's still fun as a filler-type game for people who prefer heavy games.

Tsuro and Tsuro of the Seas are also good with a varied number of players, and are easy to learn, but still interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
troy jones
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I second Camel Up. That is a fun game for 6 (or even up to eight) players that doesn't take long at all (40 minutes, tops). It has always been a hit for me with players of a variety of skill levels. Not as fun with a lower player count, but you already have Carcassonne, etc, for that.

Also might consider Flash Point if your group is okay with cooperative games. (Some people hate co-op games). Compared to some other co-op games it is pretty easy to pick up, and the theme is interesting to a lot of people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deb W
Canada
flag msg tools
Thank you everyone for the suggestions. I'm pretty well sold on 7 Wonders and probably Camel Up.

Wondering what people think of Colt Express? I think the kids would love putting the train together first.

Thank you again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Churchill
United Kingdom
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmb
As long as you havn't got chubby fingers colt express is a solid family game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Here's some great games and expansions that play 2-6:

Codenames
7 Wonders
Carcassonne: Expansion 1 – Inns & Cathedrals
King of Tokyo: Power Up!
Mysterium
Ticket to Ride Map Collection: Volume 1 – Team Asia & Legendary Asia
Mission: Red Planet (Second edition)
Flash Point: Fire Rescue
Libertalia
Colt Express
Alhambra: Big Box

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Pinter
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bazmondo123 wrote:
As long as you havn't got chubby fingers colt express is a solid family game

And even then, just poke the guys out the side and pick them up off the table. It really isn't that bad. I love the game and have the Horses & Stagecoach expansion and it plays great with 6 in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deb W
Canada
flag msg tools
Thank you everyone. In the end I ordered 7 Wonders, Colt Express and Camel Up for us to play with the relatives, plus Love Letter, Sushi Go and Bohnanza as stocking stuffers which can also be played with the family.

Then because I was buying anyway, I ordered Splendor and Takenoko for the 4 of us. Not even sure that we will have time to play them all over the holidays, but enough to keep us busy during the winter weekends.

And I'm less concerned about short play time...the kids played a full game of Power Grid today. Mind you, the little one was building things out of his playing pieces when it wasn't his turn, and the big one almost threw in the towel at about the halfway mark, but they made it through!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ash Night
United States
Concord
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Consider:
Sushi Go Party!
No Thanks!
Bonanza
The Resistance: Avalon
You'll need to do a double check on the player count, but these all are good family friendly games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Churchill
United Kingdom
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmb
16crab wrote:
Thank you everyone. In the end I ordered 7 Wonders, Colt Express and Camel Up for us to play with the relatives, plus Love Letter, Sushi Go and Bohnanza as stocking stuffers which can also be played with the family.

Then because I was buying anyway, I ordered Splendor and Takenoko for the 4 of us. Not even sure that we will have time to play them all over the holidays, but enough to keep us busy during the winter weekends.

And I'm less concerned about short play time...the kids played a full game of Power Grid today. Mind you, the little one was building things out of his playing pieces when it wasn't his turn, and the big one almost threw in the towel at about the halfway mark, but they made it through!

We just got 7 Wonders on Saturday and haven't stopped playing it..It's pretty awesome game and now I see why its No 1 family game.

You might want to have a look at my game collection as seems like you have the same family tastes and also a post I made a couple of weeks ago on here about new games for Christmas. Specially looking forward to Tobago, Mission Red Planet and Arctic Scavengers!

I hope you get on with Splendor better than we did though!

Happy gaming

Baz

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Tsuro and Camel (C)up

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ruhlander
Germany
Regensburg
Bavaria
flag msg tools
Small World (there are a 6 player map but you can play also on the 5 player map - more rumble in the jungle )

Mysterium

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy root
United States
Kingsley
Michigan
flag msg tools
Most of the games I had in mind are ashtray listed in here. The one I haven't seen mentioned yet is One Night Ultimate Werewolf. Both my kids, 11&12, love it. Fun for adults too and plays really quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik G
Netherlands
Waalre
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Colt express is hilarious, but the replay value is not so high. Just nice to have some fun, but there is no real strategy in there, merely luck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Sheung
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Rodent Hunter can accommodate up to 6 players. Kids and adults can enjoy together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.