flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's how the space telescope in the upcoming Stations expansion will work:

Telescope Component
* 5 mass
* $10 cost
* req. Telescope advancement

At the end of each year, a telescope in space can survey any location in the game (except Suborbital Flight, as usual).

Telescope Advancement
* 3 outcomes
* $10 cost
* req. Surveying advancement
* draw when using a telescope

Success: Look at other side of location card.
Minor Failure: Telescope fails.
Major Failure: Telescope damaged.

(collected threads about the upcoming Stations expansion)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will H.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't wait to repair it with the Space Shuttle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Israel Waldrom
New Zealand
Dunedin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks interesting. Will make survey missions a lot easier tho, so will the way missions work (esp for solo) change?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manning
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Success: Look at other side of location card." but perhaps not also permitting revealing the location? Therefore survey missions won't be completed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paweł Bedz
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reveal it if you want to... But first - negotiate and get some $ from other agencies for sharing location information!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, we do have the Advanced Survey missions now - and of course there are still "X Lander" missions - but this does seem to devalue sending probes to the inner planets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pan_K
Poland
Wroclaw
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rmanning wrote:
"Success: Look at other side of location card." but perhaps not also permitting revealing the location? Therefore survey missions won't be completed?

You can choose, as far, as I understand it. In base game you also have a possibility to choose, whether you reveal the location, or not. BTW while Exploration causes destruction of probe/capsule in case of not revealing the location to other player(s) - the survey does not cause it instead. So the Telescope wouldn't be destroyed either, since it bases on surveing (which is obviously logical).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Fatula
United States
I don't even know where I live anymore
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Firedrake wrote:
Well, we do have the Advanced Survey missions now - and of course there are still "X Lander" missions - but this does seem to devalue sending probes to the inner planets.

This will make the basic survey missions easier, but there will be more things to do on planets in the Stations expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Davis
msg tools
gar0u wrote:
Can't wait to repair it with the Space Shuttle.

*pulls out handwritten page of calculations from a few months ago*

Hmmmmm... according to my notes, a single Saturn rocket could launch a Space Telescope straight into orbit...

...or, for one dollar more, a double Soyuz could launch a Telescope *and* a Vostok capsule carrying an Engineer to make repairs in case the first attempt is a Major Failure!

Oh wait, that consumes a Supply, though.

Okay, so we put a Supply on the launchpad, too, but that's an extra ton, which pushes the weight just over the load limit for a double Soyuz... so we need a bigger launcher.

With a bigger launcher we'll probably have room for a few more tons, so let's throw in a few more Supplies so the Engineer can stay in orbit for a few years in case repairs are needed on the next two attempts.

You know, now that I think about it, this launch is getting more and more expensive. Maybe it *would* work better to send up the Telescope on its own and be prepared to launch a repair mission in a Space Shuttle a year or two later.

TL;DR--I am intrigued by the new launch considerations this expansion will create!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Zscheile
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds nice. I just hope you do something against being able to achieve bigger surveys like the Grand Tour with the telescope, because that would just be plain op (and, in multiplayer, would create weird situations like people deciding not to use it because someone else being later in turn order could get e.g. the Grand Tour).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Garycki
Poland
Gdansk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If telescope is able to reveal Uranus and Neptune than the Grand Tour will be obsolete since it is accomplished very late, much later than the fully functional telescope.
I also find issues with minor moons like Enceladus and Phobos - I don't think that an orbital telescope (XX century) is albe to see any details there. The other difficult targets are: (Venus: infrared, Titan: infrared, Mercury: Sun proximity danger or too crescent, TNO objects like Triton or Pluto if included as an expansion, Jupiter: how to measure radiation from afar?). So I would limit its abilities for some bodies or distance (and add interesting objects for a GRand Tour like Miranda?, Triton and Pluto).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Fatula
United States
I don't even know where I live anymore
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
improove wrote:
If telescope is able to reveal Uranus and Neptune than the Grand Tour will be obsolete since it is accomplished very late, much later than the fully functional telescope.
I also find issues with minor moons like Enceladus and Phobos - I don't think that an orbital telescope (XX century) is albe to see any details there. The other difficult targets are: (Venus: infrared, Titan: infrared, Mercury: Sun proximity danger or too crescent, TNO objects like Triton or Pluto if included as an expansion, Jupiter: how to measure radiation from afar?). So I would limit its abilities for some bodies or distance (and add interesting objects for a GRand Tour like Miranda?, Triton and Pluto).

So far I've only been trying the telescope out with the base game + Stations (and with asteroids, but that's for later). Surveying the inner planets feels interesting, and not game breaking at all.

As for the outer planets, I think you're right -- using a telescope to see them doesn't feel right, both thematically and for game balance. I think when we try space telescopes with Outer Planets, we'll use the rule that the telescope can only see inner planets locations (Moon, Mars, Phobos, Venus, Ceres, and Solar Radiation).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Argento
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
improove wrote:

+1

buffalohat wrote:

As for the outer planets, I think you're right -- using a telescope to see them doesn't feel right, both thematically and for game balance. I think when we try space telescopes with Outer Planets, we'll use the rule that the telescope can only see inner planets locations (Moon, Mars, Phobos, Venus, Ceres, and Solar Radiation).

+1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.