Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Schwerdtfeger
United States
Redondo Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this one once yesterday as a stand alone set, and I think that the holy cross is way too strong in this game. As I understand it, when my Angel of Light picks up the cross, flies a ways, and drops the cross on the opponent's Undead Dragon, I get two points. Isn't that a bit harsh?

Also, is the Spectre viable? It seems like an awful lot of work to get him to resurrect into another character so he can exit the dungeon.

Anyway, what do you guys think of this set of characters? How about the added oddities that this set of characters/items bring?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Franklin
United States
Milton
Washington
flag msg tools
He sees you when you're sleeping; he knows when you're awake ...
badge
He knows if you've been bad or good.
mbmbmbmbmb
Waylander1 wrote:
I played this one once yesterday as a stand alone set, and I think that the holy cross is way too strong in this game. As I understand it, when my Angel of Light picks up the cross, flies a ways, and drops the cross on the opponent's Undead Dragon, I get two points. Isn't that a bit harsh?

Also, is the Spectre viable? It seems like an awful lot of work to get him to resurrect into another character so he can exit the dungeon.

Anyway, what do you guys think of this set of characters? How about the added oddities that this set of characters/items bring?

The Holy Cross is, indeed, pretty powerful. But it's powerful for both sides - if one player had a Holy Cross and the other didn't, I'd argue that it's totally broken. But both players have Holy Crosses, and both players have Undead Dragons, so you need to maneuver so that you get one of the Crosses to your opponent's Dragon, and he (or she) can't do the same to you.

Also? The Undead Dragon is really grossly powerful. There needs to be a way to beat it - every expansion with a Dragon (that I know of - I'm not 100% on Creatures of the Woods) includes a way of dealing with it. P&D has the DragonSlayer, FoD has the Holy Cross, Mercenaries has another DragonSlayer.

As to the Spectre: The theme of the expansion (according to Chris) is Dealing with Wounded Characters. He's themed each expansion around one or more mechanics - "Paladins and Dragons" is about items, "Fire and Water" is about movement and positioning, "Forces of Darkness" is about dealing with wounded characters, "Mercenaries" is about combat, "Creatures of the Woods" is about line of sight. The Spectre is perfectly in-theme, and is reasonably balanced - don't use your Spectre only to escape the maze. Use your Spectre to deprive your opponent of one of their characters - or to double-up one of your characters. Keep him a few spaces off of a Group Combat so he can swoop in immediately to take a character away from your opponent.

Eric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olivier Lamontagne
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If a undead carry an item, the angel can't drop the cross and kill him, so it isn't so powerful.

EDIT : With all the neutral torches on the walls, it is quite easy to avoid the angel/cross combo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwerdtfeger
United States
Redondo Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, I guess that is right, isn't it? If the undead has an item, then you can't drop a second item in its square.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.