$5.00
$30.00
$20.00
$15.00
Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
28 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

RoboRally» Forums » General

Subject: New Version Soon? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Will Beckley
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, here's the new version of Roborally, listed on a retailer website:

http://www.target.com/p/robo-rally-board-game/-/A-50696323

Sharp eyes might notice the "Only at Target" logo in the corner. It is worth noting that the same logo is not seen on the pages for known Target exclusives like Machi Koro: Bright Lights, Big City or the kids version of Ticket to Ride. So who really knows what's what. It is also not currently in stores or orderable online. So... coming soon?

But there it is, with what can only be considered a super reasonable price.

I'm sitting pretty with my fully-expanded versions from the 90s and haven't been tempted by any previous Avalon Hill version. But for $22 with a substantial redesign by Richard Garfield? For that price, I wouldn't be overly sore if it only occupied me and my RR-playing friends for a single afternoon.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Beckley
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It also sure looks to me like that picture is showing a slightly different box than we've seen before, with a windowed panel on the right side revealing prepainted minis. My 18-year-old paint jobs are showing a lot of wear, so that alone might be worth the $22!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Riddle

Oklahoma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
$22 for roborally is a steal
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack of Clubs
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure that's the same box we've always seen. The windowed panel showing the robots was always there.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Meyer
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
There is a new edition being released soon. Alliance distributers is listing a release of early December. Updated everything and streamlined rule sets. I have it on pre order at my FLGS
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Beckley
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil Fleischmann wrote:
I'm pretty sure that's the same box we've always seen. The windowed panel showing the robots was always there.


I can't be sure, but I feel like I've only seen the image that's currently used as the main image here on BGG (admittedly probably a CG mockup) where those are images and not a windowed panel. Either way, I hadn't seen mention of prepainted minis, and that's an exciting addition to me.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Beckley
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tekwych wrote:
There is a new edition being released soon. Alliance distributers is listing a release of early December. Updated everything and streamlined rule sets. I have it on pre order at my FLGS


From what we know for certain, which admittedly isn't a whole lot, this is less a "streamlined" version and more a ground-up reimagining. It seems like it will be incorporating something like deckbuilding elements, and will introduce a few other wholly new concepts.

Which I'm cool with; I don't need to re-buy the game (though I could stand a refresh on my program cards). But I know a lot of folks are disappointed that this isn't likely to be a terribly faithful reprint.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will's Mama
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wiyum wrote:
It also sure looks to me like that picture is showing a slightly different box than we've seen before, with a windowed panel on the right side revealing prepainted minis. My 18-year-old paint jobs are showing a lot of wear, so that alone might be worth the $22!

But you'd be missing two robots (although I've never played with all eight in a game).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Beckley
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WillsMominMO wrote:
Wiyum wrote:
It also sure looks to me like that picture is showing a slightly different box than we've seen before, with a windowed panel on the right side revealing prepainted minis. My 18-year-old paint jobs are showing a lot of wear, so that alone might be worth the $22!

But you'd be missing two robots (although I've never played with all eight in a game).


I feel pretty comfortable leaving eight-player Roborally in my teens and early 20s.
7 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wiyum wrote:
It also sure looks to me like that picture is showing a slightly different box than we've seen before, with a windowed panel on the right side revealing prepainted minis. My 18-year-old paint jobs are showing a lot of wear, so that alone might be worth the $22!


Hmm...agreed. My old metal minis are looking pretty ragged now--lots of wear from all the brutal races over the years. $22 for a new set of prepainted mins might indeed be worth it. I know I have zero interest in the rest of the new game,
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Beckley
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
claudermilk wrote:
I know I have zero interest in the rest of the new game,

See, I don't know that I feel the same way. It would be one thing if this came about because Hasbro decided it was time to gather water from the Roborally well again and handed it off to some staff employees to "punch things up." But all evidence is that the origins of this were with Richard Garfield himself having inspiration on how to revisit the game. Betting against Richard Garfield doesn't have the best track record. For certain, I won't be grabbing the minis and tossing the rest. I want to see what he did for myself.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack of Clubs
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wiyum wrote:
Phil Fleischmann wrote:
I'm pretty sure that's the same box we've always seen. The windowed panel showing the robots was always there.


I can't be sure, but I feel like I've only seen the image that's currently used as the main image here on BGG (admittedly probably a CG mockup) where those are images and not a windowed panel. Either way, I hadn't seen mention of prepainted minis, and that's an exciting addition to me.

This image was posted back in May:

2 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Beckley
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I stand happily corrected. Thanks for posting the pic; more good discussion there to help decipher what this new game will be!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Averyt
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Man, I really hope this becomes available soon. I'm super interested to see the changes made, and this edition definitely looks like a better value than the 2005 Avalon Hill print. Sure, my dad still has a full set of the original game with expansions, but this is still highly intriguing and would make a great Christmas gift if they just put it out in time!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DomaGB
United States
Green Bay area
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is listed at the Target website, but none in stock yet!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor Liss
United States
Quincy
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Fingers crossed! Hoping to get this for Christmas!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niclas Matikainen
Sweden
Gävle
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A store in Sweden has December 20th as the release date.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This is RoboRally with a few extra decades of gameplay innovations added in. I've always heard it was a classic, except it wasn't a very 'good' game compared to others now.

I'm gladly looking forward to this version that takes the basic concept of robots racing through a dangerous factory with simultaneous turns, and making a more balanced and fun game out of it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juhan Voolaid
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Damn, they fixed the box size issue. Now it fits into Ikea shelf.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
UCF ENG
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I just bought this version from my local board game store for $52. Other places might be getting them soon too.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznan
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Say what?!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Averyt
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
ucf99eng wrote:
I just bought this version from my local board game store for $52. Other places might be getting them soon too.


Seriously? It's actually in the wild all of a sudden? Sounds like I need to check in with Games N' Stuff soon...

EDIT: No good with the local store, but FRP Games claims to have it for $40 plus shipping. The site has some iffy reviews, but they've been around a while and they take Paypal, so you should be covered in worst-case. Here's the link for those interested, anyway: http://www.frpgames.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=118043#....
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sidney S
Canada
flag msg tools
ucf99eng wrote:
I just bought this version from my local board game store for $52. Other places might be getting them soon too.



Not going to be great for us up here in Canada.....

A retailer informed me that there is some sort of licensing issue with the game up here in Canada and that needs to be resolved before we'll see it up here. =(
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sanchez
United States
chaska
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ucf99eng wrote:
I just bought this version from my local board game store for $52. Other places might be getting them soon too.



Every person who I've seen say they have the game is from Wisconsin, US. I'm wondering if some store let it out before the release date or something.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan N

Indiana
msg tools
mbmb
sancmat wrote:

Every person who I've seen say they have the game is from Wisconsin, US. I'm wondering if some store let it out before the release date or something.


I saw the new edition in a game shop in Indiana today. I would have considered picking it up, but I just built a foam core insert for the old edition a few months ago, and the quality of the paint job on the new minis did not inspire me.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.