Subject: A good fit or too simple? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With Christmas around the corner, this game has caught my eye.
It's a bit pricey, though. Furthermore, I fear whether it's a sensible pick up given my group and collection.

I play regularly with my children (ages 7, 8, 10, 12, 14). Even our youngest (7) is a fairly seasoned gamer at this point.

Not surprisingly, we like coops. Here are the ones we play a lot:

LOTR: the card game (not accessible to the 7 and 8 year olds)
Eldritch Horror (a bit too much and too long for the 7 and 8 year olds)
Flashpoint
Castle Panic (too simple for the 12 and 14 year old)
Forbidden desert
Forbidden island

We have our eyes on Pandemic too - but have yet to pull the trigger.

The pros as I see it are:
7 player
Great components
Hidden traitor (we're into ONUW and Resistance: Avalon, so I think this will go over well)
Accessible to everyone in my group
Theme

The biggest con (aside from price): it seems rather mechanical and simple. Collect sets, trade in sets, repeat. I fear that we'll eventually lose interest - especially the older children who adore LOTR: the card game.

Given our existing collection and group, do you think this would be a smart addition? Or a redundant choice that we'll grow tired of quickly?

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Riddle

Oklahoma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
we like it
my kids are 11 and 14

pandemic is good too

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sanders
United States
Henderson
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
DNA results:Scottish, Dutch, English, Irish, German, French, Iberian Peninsula = 100% American!
mbmbmbmbmb
Except for the hidden traitor element, your family would all enjoy this coop. There is a small possibility that all knights are loyal in the random deal. You could just play your first games that they are all loyal, then maybe delve into adding the traitor. It would be a lot of fun without it, with a group of young players, then the traitor could add a neat variation, as long as the younger ones were coached about how to play it with stealth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Clason
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The set collect aspect and simplicity of SoC is less than that for Forbidden Island. So if it doesn't bother you in Forbidden Island, it shouldn't in SoC.

SoC does take 1 1/2 hours, maybe more, depending on how fast you play.

The Resistance is all about identifying the spies and ONUW is all about identifying who is the Werewolf. While identifying the traitor is important in SoC, it is just part of the game, not the whole game. You can win without identifying the traitor and loss even if you have identified the traitor.

I think SoC is sufficiently different from the other games you listed that I don't think you would consider it redundant.

SoC is my favorite coop. It works well with 7 players. Nothing in your post would lead me to believe you wouldn't like SoC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Ortiz
Spain
Santander
Cantabria
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It's a great game, and what I like the most about this one is that you won't suffer Alfa player syndrome... Something that will happen in pandemic for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donagh Molloy
Ireland
Limerick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Professor X wrote:
With Christmas around the corner, this game has caught my eye.
It's a bit pricey, though. Furthermore, I fear whether it's a sensible pick up given my group and collection.

I play regularly with my children (ages 7, 8, 10, 12, 14). Even our youngest (7) is a fairly seasoned gamer at this point.

Not surprisingly, we like coops. Here are the ones we play a lot:

LOTR: the card game (not accessible to the 7 and 8 year olds)
Eldritch Horror (a bit too much and too long for the 7 and 8 year olds)
Flashpoint
Castle Panic (too simple for the 12 and 14 year old)
Forbidden desert
Forbidden island

We have our eyes on Pandemic too - but have yet to pull the trigger.

The pros as I see it are:
7 player
Great components
Hidden traitor (we're into ONUW and Resistance: Avalon, so I think this will go over well)
Accessible to everyone in my group
Theme

The biggest con (aside from price): it seems rather mechanical and simple. Collect sets, trade in sets, repeat. I fear that we'll eventually lose interest - especially the older children who adore LOTR: the card game.

Given our existing collection and group, do you think this would be a smart addition? Or a redundant choice that we'll grow tired of quickly?

Thank you!

As said try it all loyal first but don't be put off by an all loyal play as it is a bit of a bore. When a traitor is in the mix the game becomes great. We as a family of 5 play with 6 loyalty cards to keep the possibility of an all loyal session as this gives the traitor cover.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ejclason wrote:
I think SoC is sufficiently different from the other games you listed that I don't think you would consider it redundant.

This goes to the heart of my concerns. Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Professor X wrote:
ejclason wrote:

This goes to the heart of my concerns. Thank you.

I concur. In fact, I haven't found another game that's similar to SoC, yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds to me like it would fit in your rotation. It is pricy, and it is simple, but it plays very well in a large group. The fact that there might not be a traitor is a great twist, and makes the traitor reveal feel consistently fresh. It's hard to justify that price, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Balaji Iyengar
United States
Delaware
flag msg tools
Valandil (God-friend)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the exact question before I got Shadows over Camelot.
- The game mechanic seemed too linear and kinda looked programmed.
BUT! I was in for an awesome surprise. It's kinda hard to win this game!
It requires quite a bit of planning. The best part is, when you are implicitly trying to co-operate with everyone for the common good, without yelling out that you are loyal.

Moreover, special powers for each knight does give this game a little bit of an RPG feel.

The quests that grant you relics are the best ones!
Since we've had this game over 4 years now, we added some house rules.
(This game is not constrained. It allows you to add elements and components)

The way we play it in our house both the black knight, and dragon quests, yield relics.
Dragon quest give you the dragon.. (duh)
And defeating the black knight, gives you a black horse.

So to sum it up, this is what you get when you play Shadows over Camelot -
1) A fairly light game for people who are new to the hobby and especially if you have guests over, if you want to introduce modern-era board gaming. With Thanksgiving coming up, this would win the day for you!
2) The theme allows you to add components, story-telling, and role-playing
3) Any body can get up leave/resume at any point to take phone-calls, get snacks, bathroom breaks etc. This does not alter the game in any way!
4) Co-operative tension till the traitor element lasts
5) You may stretch out/shrink the time of play as required.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.