Crusader Rex» Forums » Rules

Subject: Siege - Retreat Question Rules Version 1.4 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
JP JP

California
msg tools
Here is the deal

All defending blocks decide to withdraw in to the castle.

The attackers decide to Storm on round 1. This doesn't go very well so the attackers decide to retreat. Do they retreat "to the field" and the situation becomes a Siege, or do they leave the city completely?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Stone
United States
Northern VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeffery1212 wrote:
Here is the deal

All defending blocks decide to withdraw in to the castle.

The attackers decide to Storm on round 1. This doesn't go very well so the attackers decide to retreat. Do they retreat "to the field" and the situation becomes a Siege, or do they leave the city completely?

Thanks!

I'm more familiar with v2.0 than 1.4 but I believe for this situation the rules are the same.

First thing to note is that the attackers can't instantaneously remove themselves from the storm. In your example you would need to proceed to round 2 and each attacker block would use their round 2 action to withdraw from the storm. Depending on the A-B-C of the defending blocks this may allow them to get a shot in on the attackers.

Assuming the attackers succeed in withdrawing from the storm I believe they may do either of the two options you pose (i.e., they can stay in the field or retreat). If they stay in the field the former defenders in the castle could sally in round 3 and attack them. If they choose to retreat then the defenders in the castle would be declared victorious and they could then regroup.

You should probably wait for a couple more experienced players to weigh in as there are some differences between 1.4 and 2.0 and I have to say neither is particularly thorough in addressing some of the situations that can come up in combat.

(edit: One quick addition. At the end of round 3 of a storm if there are still defenders in the castle then the storming blocks must either withdraw to the field or retreat. This situation is an exception to my statement above that blocks may not instantaneously remove themselves from a storm.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP JP

California
msg tools
Thanks Rich

I have been playing with the retreat option. That is if the attackers survive a storm they can retreat to the field and the situation becomes a siege. They can also choose to retreat out of the city completely. Seems right

The Columbia titles I have played, Liberty, Quebec 1759, War of 1812 and Hammer of the Scots all have rules issues. Crusader here seems to
have the most "fill in the blanks" deals with the combat rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP JP

California
msg tools
Well well...

Rule 7.31 - "Storming blocks can retreat normally or withdraw to the field of the same town where they remain on siege and cannot regroup"

I read the rules many times and somehow missed that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.