10 Posts

Evolution: Flight» Forums » Rules

Subject: Climate with Flight rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cru Jones
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have just Climate and Flight. Since they were not designed to be played together, how do I adjust Climate to make it like non-Climate so Flight can be added?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of game like nobody's business!
mbmbmbmbmb
From this thread: Is it possible to DOWNGRADE to base game Evolution?

runtsta wrote:
biscuits409 wrote:
I recently picked up Evolution Climate and have been really enjoying it. I've heard that you are not supposed to mix it with Flight, and also that an upgrade it is out there to turn regular evolution into Evolution Climate. I'm wondering if the opposite is possible. Can I downgrade (take cards out of) my set of Evolution Climate into the base game of Evolution? If I could do that then I could downgrade and add the flight cards in order to play the expansion without having to buy the base game. Does anyone know if this is possible?

It's absolutely possible.

Remove the following traits from your deck that are specific to Climate:
Cooling Frills
Heavy Fur
Hibernation
Migratory
Mud Wallowing
Nocturnal

Remove the 6 Carnivore cards that have a volcano in the background.

Your deck should be basically the same as the base game. There is some text on some of the cards that refer to Climate effects as well as suns and snowflakes on some for Climate that you should ignore.

When you add the Flight cards in, make sure you notice the slight differences in the Carnivore cards that get added in so that you can remove them to swap back to Climate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And remember, as mentioned in that same thread, that there are rules changes as well. All 3 of Climate, Evolution Base, and Flight have some rules different from the other sets. You can download the rules for Evolution Base.

So
Remove 48 *specific* cards
play with the Flight+Base rules
ignore the climate text laugh

Or ... instead of all that, you could can get the "Flight" cards from the flight expansion, and add them alone to the full Climate set - ie without the other trait cards from Flight. That was an official recommendation from the Kickstarter site.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cru Jones
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rainbow Snake wrote:
Or ... instead of all that, you could can get the "Flight" cards from the flight expansion, and add them alone to the full Climate set - ie without the other trait cards from Flight. That was an official recommendation from the Kickstarter site.

I will try this. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
crujones33 wrote:
I have just Climate and Flight. Since they were not designed to be played together, how do I adjust Climate to make it like non-Climate so Flight can be added?

I recommend first playing CLIMATE with the Avian Species boards, the Flight cards, and the Cliff. That's a great way play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cru Jones
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
domcrap wrote:
I recommend first playing CLIMATE with the Avian Species boards, the Flight cards, and the Cliff. That's a great way play.

I will try that out. It sounds like fun. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Parker
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Figured I would've seen this question pop up already, but couldn't find anything:

Here's the scenario. I have the Flight boards and the Cliff added to Climate. I have a flying species with Body Size 2 and Population 3. This species has Flight and Hibernation.

By the end of the Feeding Phase, the species was only able to get one food! That food went to feed its Body Size first. Ordinarily, that species will go extinct due to starvation. But it has Hibernation.

I think it should survive, but I'm not sure how many Population should survive. Does Hibernation act as two "food" and one will go to complete feeding Body Size and the other to Population? This would mean the species loses two Population.

OR, since Hibernation allows you to ignore up to 2 unfed population, will the missing Body Size food be ignored along with 2 unfed population and the species will only lose 1 population to starvation?

I can see the argument being made either way, but wanted to see if an official answer exists. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
Why are you trying to break our beautiful game?!! That's not nice Matt.

Hibernation is supposed to let you disregard the need for 2 food, regardless of whether it is being used for the upkeep for an Avian Body Size.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Parker
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't help but to tinker with the Evolution game system. I love increasing the variety of traits in a single game. I know there's limits to that, but you suggested adding just the Flight trait and Cliff to Climate without concern.

It's not like I just dumped every trait from every expansion and promo set into one game... whistle

Anyway, thanks for the official answer or opinion. Sounds like you're saying that in my scenario, Hibernation would cover the final Body Size food and one Population food and so my flying species would lose two Population to starvation. Yes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CenozoicMatt wrote:
Anyway, thanks for the official answer or opinion. Sounds like you're saying that in my scenario, Hibernation would cover the final Body Size food and one Population food and so my flying species would lose two Population to starvation. Yes?

That was the official North Star Games answer. I like to keep my personal opinions to myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.