Welcome Rolling Stones
Latvia
Bullshit
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Your answer is no because you did not discuss politics on Facebook. Okay.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bartosh

Sunnyvale
California
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife got defriended by someone, but that's the only real political fallout that I'm aware of. Not that I really use Facebook.

EDIT: I personally don't have a lot of right friends (my social network is pretty small) and the couple I can think of were never Trumpers to my knowledge.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kissa
United States
flag msg tools
La vie est un jeu
badge
Panem et Circenses
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I was neither defriended nor did I defriend anyone. I have friends and acquaintances who voted all across the political spectrum (trump,clinton,johnson,stein). I rarely ever hold back my comments to any of them though and speak my opinions loudly at work. My personality and actions don't change though based on where I'm posting or speaking. PC/Appropriate speech is my mortal enemy. I'm truly a pleasure to be around devil .
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Welcome Rolling Stones
Latvia
Bullshit
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
49xjohn wrote:

Your answer is no because you did not discuss politics on Facebook. Okay.
What's your answer?

My answer would be relevant, because I discuss whatever I want on Facebook. I found out from my hater friends that the media is all wrong, and the new real true place for stories is breitbart.com, a web site founded by a man who died of paranoia.

Your answer to your very own question is irrelevant because apparently you are afraid to talk about what you are thinking about with your friends.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
Avatar
mbmb
Nope. I de-friended Wray a while ago, but that was because I politely asked him not to be rude to me a few times, and his reaction was, essentially, "No." I tried to explain to him other ways to make the same points without being rude, because I was still interested in his thoughts, but he found the suggestion not to his taste.

As you say, I haven't completed a thorough audit of my friends, so maybe I was defriended unknowingly. But nobody made a big deal of it to me, anyway, and I kind of feel as though it would be rude to audit my friends list specifically looking for people who defriended me. If they wanted to make it salient, they'd have done so before they left. Which means I'm in the very odd position of feeling as though my friends list ought to be partly private from me.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
non sequitur
United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to have an addon that told me when people on Facebook defriended me.

It mainly made me sad.

The intersection of my life involves a lot of far left queer people and my evangelical family that I care about. Never the twain shall meet, so I largely avoid politics on my wall, unless it's non-partisan -- I think the last thing I posted was about how disappointed I was that in America we had a democracy, so we could pick between the former President's wife or the former President's son back when Jeb Bush was the all-but-presumptive nominee.

(The failure of dynasties at this point is perhaps cold comfort, but it's still nice it didn't happen.)
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not on social media, but it is weird to me to imagine having someone I call a friend but not knowing whether we were still connected or not. Maybe the term friend is being bandied about too free-wheelingly
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Marshall
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. One of my "friends" (really more acquaintance) decided to block any feeds from me due to political content. They certainly didn't refrain from comments of their own and didn't bother engaging on the issues raised. They simply blocked the feed so as to have their own echo chamber uninterrupted.

I don't mind keeping Facebook feed content neutral but when you open the door you shouldn't complain when someone uses it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
No, why would I?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
A man learns little by little in battle. Take this battle experience and become a man who can’t be beaten
badge
This flag says we will fight until only our bones are left.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't defriend anyone over politics. I did defriend someone who, during a conversation as to whether or not it was "OK" for Trump to make comments about "second amendment people" and their ability to do something about Hillary was screaming one of my mom's friends, a 70+ year old woman, that in his opinion it was OK to talk about killing someone as long as you don't actually do it.

In order to illustrate this position he said that in his opinion someone should kill her (the 70 year old woman).

In his defense he didn't know that her husband was currently on hospice and dying. That said I defriended him and deleted his post anyway. He's been a jerk on my feed for a long time and he has had this coming.

For the record I have plenty of pro-trump friends who talk about being pro-trump in their feeds and I didn't defriend any of the rest of them, and I would have defriended the guy in the above example regardless of politics had he thought it was OK to tell a 70 year old lady that someone should murder her.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
casey r lowe
United States
butte
Montana
flag msg tools
mb
i also didnt plonk anyone over politics this year
5 
 Thumb up
0.30
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Van Horn
United States
Othello
Washington
flag msg tools
I admit it, I killed her, I killed Yvette. I hated her so much
badge
Flames...flames on the side of my face...breathing...breathle...heaving breathes
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm mostly apolitical on Facebook, but I generally get a kick out of my friends post. I detest Trump, but I believe our nation is bigger than the presidency...anyway I'm about 2 whiny posts away from defriending one of my more liberal friends.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul W
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
I didn't defriend anyone over politics. I did unfollow a few people though. Just because I still want to be friends with someone doesn't mean I want to read their political rants every time I log into facebook.
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have friends, and only have a facebook account to quantify my social awkwardness and unlikeability.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Stopped logging on to Facebook, because I probably would have ended up defriending my Dad. Not so much over "politics" in general, but over his personal politics spewing onto my timeline. I know other family members did though.

But then I hate Facebook anyway, so it was no big loss.

Don't imagine I was plonked anywhere but potentially here, since this is the only place I discuss politics.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Other than Drew, I'm not aware of anyone defriending/plonking me.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I removed one person from my friends list who I haven't talked to in years and I hid a couple family members from my news feed. It's not because I disagree with their posts but because of their frequency. My news feed became dominated by their political posts and that's not what I want from Facebook.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mlcarter815 wrote:
and I hid a couple family members from my news feed.


I didn't even know you could do that.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
no and no, but I have had to add a shit ton of options to "not see anymore from (some nutty leftist site).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Stone
United States
Texarkana
Texas
flag msg tools
May the bikini be with you!
badge
I destroy SJWs!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't. Nor would I.

I had a few unfriend me, though.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jasonwocky wrote:
mlcarter815 wrote:
and I hid a couple family members from my news feed.


I didn't even know you could do that.


When you see a post on your news feed, click the arrow on the top right of the post and there is an option to hide posts from that user.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mlcarter815 wrote:
jasonwocky wrote:
mlcarter815 wrote:
and I hid a couple family members from my news feed.


I didn't even know you could do that.


When you see a post on your news feed, click the arrow on the top right of the post and there is an option to hide posts from that user.
This is an awesome feature which is SO much better then the sometimes awkward unfriending
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mutton Chops
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
No - the people I'm "friends" with on Facebook tend not to discuss politics, because for the most part they're not friends as such, I only know them via gaming. Except my mother, who insists on sharing any and all political stuff she comes across that she thinks will rile people up, whether she agrees with the source or not...

My wife de-friended a few people over inflammatory racist comments/regurgitation of "post-truth" statements, regards Brexit, but the people concerned weren't actual friends in the first place, simply people who'd sent her friend requests because they had a mutual friend.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Staff
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I was defriended by a leftist niece and a few other left wing acquaintances. I would challenge their meme or whatever and they would have a hissy fit.
I did delete 2 people. One was a co-worker posting black lives matter shit. Fuck that racist shit. Then there was an acquaintance friend of a friend posting hysterically "IF YOU'RE VOTING FOR TRUMP, DE-FRIEND ME NOW!" So I did.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Diabolik771 wrote:
Yes, I defriended by a leftist niece and a few other left wing acquaintances. I would challenge their meme or whatever and they would have a hissy fit.
I did delete 2 people. One was a co-worker posting black lives matter shit. Fuck that racist shit. Then there was an acquaintance friend of a friend posting hysterically "IF YOU'RE VOTING FOR TRUMP, DE-FRIEND ME NOW!" So I did.


Yeah, that's a but hard to take. FaceBook, for the most part, is not a place to discuss politics. Not deeply anyway. There are still two people, both BGG members who post 4 to 5 times a day, every day about Trump/racist/hate/Hitler/privilege, etc. What surprises me is that one of them is normal, has a normal job and for all appearances is emotionally stable. But apparently he's not. An emotionally stable and healthy person does not go on FB several times a day spitting and fuming and spewing their own brand of hate. That's what RSP is for!

I don't defriend people, I just block them from my sight if they get too insane. I have done that to maybe 5 people in the last 9 years. I let the haters defriend me. One friend of my daughter's who spent 3 years laughing with all of us and being a great FB friend dumped me like a bag of burning shit when I dared challenge her on one of her idiotic Obama/Planned Parenthood rage memes. Sad, because other than being a white woman who is pissed off that she's white she is a lot of fun.

I like FB. I have to say though, the John (49X) is one of my favorite FB friends because nothing political he posts makes any sense at all. I love that shit.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.