Subject: Multiples of basic weaknesses? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M.
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Was just reading the FFG announcement of Essex County Express, and it proudly proclaims that it features 28 player cards including "four copies of a new weakness." Don't get me wrong, weaknesses are a cool mechanic, but four copies of a single one? Even having two copies of Amnesia (and the other one that escapes me) in the core seemed unnecessary to me. What's the point in seeding certain weaknesses so heavily, and taking up so many card slots in a Mythos Pack? I would think it would be more exciting to draw from a pool of one-ofs on the relatively rare occasion you create a new investigator deck. Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This might not be a basic weakness, but one that you can acquire during the scenario, hence 4 being the number, as the scenarios generally support up to 4 players.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
True, it does not say "basic," but would they call out specific encounter cards like that? Totally possible, just seems somewhat arbitrary. And I still wonder why there are multiple copies of two basic weaknesses in the core.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phoenix Bird
Antarctica
msg tools
mbmbmb
After playing the campaign you may get to answer your own question...

Phoenix
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Will
United States
Hays
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps the extras are there for building multiple investigators. You have a pool of weaknesses from which you randomly select for investigator #1. That investigator pulls "Weakness X," so for investigator #2, you replenish the pool with one of your additional copies of "Weakness X," insuring that everyone gets a properly random weakness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Professor wrote:
Perhaps the extras are there for building multiple investigators. You have a pool of weaknesses from which you randomly select for investigator #1. That investigator pulls "Weakness X," so for investigator #2, you replenish the pool with one of your additional copies of "Weakness X," insuring that everyone gets a properly random weakness.

Totally get that, but I'm mainly wondering why the core features 2x Amnesia and 2x Paranoia, whereas without those doubles there would be 8 unique basic weaknesses. With 5 investigators, that's still more than enough to draw from, and thematically I find it more fun to have each investigator have a unique basic weakness. But I'm merely wondering, and that's what gets people in Lovecraft-type situations into trouble.

Disclosure: I've only played through the first core scenario, so it sounds like I should hold off my enquiry until I've gone further. I suppose (and suspect) that further story elements could have you add additional basic weaknesses to your deck, in which case having >8 would increase the randomness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanee wrote:
This might not be a basic weakness, but one that you can acquire during the scenario, hence 4 being the number, as the scenarios generally support up to 4 players.

Bye
Thanee

I'm sure this is the reason, it's like FFG warning there's a new attachment like 'Sacked' in an upcoming LOTR expansion. There'll be a way for every investigator to acquire it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.