$35.00
Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Champions of Midgard» Forums » General

Subject: Any chance we'll get more characters in the future? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Guro Bjerkan
Norway
FLAKTVEIT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've come to really appreciate the game once I started judging it on its own merit and not comparing it to a certain other popular game that people keep comparing this with (which I think creates unrealistic expectations in new players, and almost had me walk away after the first gameplay, so please stop doing that), but one thing I feel is lackluster are the characters to play. It's a 4-player game and there are only 5 characters to choose from, which I think is just not enough. It's fine when you play just 2 players, but when you play the full player count the person who gets to pick last is bound to feel like they're choosing from the dregs rather than feel they are getting a good ability to play.

My flatmate and I are already discussing creating our own additional characters to add some variation (and this just after playing 2 games of it together), but I was hoping there would be more official characters added in the future, any word on that?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're in luck, there's an expansion in the works currently scheduled to release in the first half of 2017. From the publisher:

Quote:
I can tell you that Ole Steiness and I have been talking, testing, and tweaking the expansion for several months now and that it is testing well. Beyond what I mentioned in the Live Show I don't really have anything else to share. Once we are set on exactly what will be included we will commission the art and I will begin sharing that stuff.

Shortlist of (near) confirmed elements:
5 players
New leaders
New viking warrior dice
Separate Valhalla Board where powers can be purchased.
Viking Leaders represented as meeples and in combat as dice.
New Content for existing spaces (merchant ships, market stalls, destinies, Journeys, etc.)
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Shiffler
United States
Manchester
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My friend and I created a whole new batch of characters based on the characters from History Channel's Vikings. We are still balancing them out with each other and the originals but here is a sneak peak (abilities are based directly on the character on the show):

Warning: Minor Spoilers for History's Vikings Ahead, enter at your own risk!

Spoiler (click to reveal)

Lagertha (The Shield Maiden): All shield results in combat are doubled.

The idea here is that she is very effective with her shield maidens, blocking more incoming damage than the average warrior.

Floki (The Ship Builder): Does not pay the cost of building a ship.

This seemed like a no-brainer since that is what he does on the show. We are also playing with the idea of some kind of increased hold capacity for his ships to carry him a bit later in the game and to show not only does he build ships, he builds the best ships.

Rollo (Out From Under His Brother's Shadow): Once per combat phase you may re-roll any blank die results.

This is to show Rollo's constant search and loss of Glory. He basically gains and uses up a glory every combat phase.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harper Hobbs
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The_Dude_Abides wrote:
My friend and I created a whole new batch of characters based on the characters from History Channel's Vikings. We are still balancing them out with each other and the originals but here is a sneak peak (abilities are based directly on the character on the show):

Warning: Minor Spoilers for History's Vikings Ahead, enter at your own risk!

Spoiler (click to reveal)

Lagertha (The Shield Maiden): All shield results in combat are doubled.

The idea here is that she is very effective with her shield maidens, blocking more incoming damage than the average warrior.

Floki (The Ship Builder): Does not pay the cost of building a ship.

This seemed like a no-brainer since that is what he does on the show. We are also playing with the idea of some kind of increased hold capacity for his ships to carry him a bit later in the game and to show not only does he build ships, he builds the best ships.

Rollo (Out From Under His Brother's Shadow): Once per combat phase you may re-roll any blank die results.

This is to show Rollo's constant search and loss of Glory. He basically gains and uses up a glory every combat phase.


I like your ideas...

Floki - not paying for ships could lead to ship hording. Less thematic but something more balanced would be not having food count against capacity.

With your current trait Floki can just buy up all the ships on the first turn and could create a big hole for the other players.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bhobs wrote:
The_Dude_Abides wrote:
My friend and I created a whole new batch of characters based on the characters from History Channel's Vikings. We are still balancing them out with each other and the originals but here is a sneak peak (abilities are based directly on the character on the show):

Warning: Minor Spoilers for History's Vikings Ahead, enter at your own risk!

Spoiler (click to reveal)

Lagertha (The Shield Maiden): All shield results in combat are doubled.

The idea here is that she is very effective with her shield maidens, blocking more incoming damage than the average warrior.

Floki (The Ship Builder): Does not pay the cost of building a ship.

This seemed like a no-brainer since that is what he does on the show. We are also playing with the idea of some kind of increased hold capacity for his ships to carry him a bit later in the game and to show not only does he build ships, he builds the best ships.

Rollo (Out From Under His Brother's Shadow): Once per combat phase you may re-roll any blank die results.

This is to show Rollo's constant search and loss of Glory. He basically gains and uses up a glory every combat phase.


I like your ideas...

Floki - not paying for ships could lead to ship hording. Less thematic but something more balanced would be not having food count against capacity.

With your current trait Floki can just buy up all the ships on the first turn and could create a big hole for the other players.



You can only build one ship a turn anyway, and I think technically only 1 ship in total (although I havent enforced that rule)

Buying all ships for free is too much of an ability, consider that all other leader abilities give about 4-5 extra points throughout the whole game. Building the 8 point ship is way more then that...

What I do think is a good floki ability is renting any ship for free (even the private ones as long as they are not owned by others)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Reissmann
United States
Wausau
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I'll be honest - we're throwing science at the wall here to see what sticks.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From the rules under the description of the Shipwright space:

"Each player may only build 1 Private Longship."
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harper Hobbs
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Nessus77 wrote:
From the rules under the description of the Shipwright space:

"Each player may only build 1 Private Longship."


Good to know. I overlooked that one.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Shiffler
United States
Manchester
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, we did not include the limit to one ship on his character card due to it being a rule across the board. It just insures him having his own, and the best, ship earlier than other players. We found it to fit very well with his character.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The_Dude_Abides wrote:
Yeah, we did not include the limit to one ship on his character card due to it being a rule across the board. It just insures him having his own, and the best, ship earlier than other players. We found it to fit very well with his character.


Wait, if he has no limit of price requirement why wouldn't he just buy 1 boat a round, the first 4 rounds?

if I can ensure 6 or 8 points and all i have to do is spend 1 worker that is amazing.

Sounds OP to me.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Shiffler
United States
Manchester
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A player can not build more than one private ship per game, not per turn.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.