2x Overpower (Core Set)
2x Manual Dexterity (Core Set)
2x Unexpected Courage (Core Set)

Special
1x Wendy's Amulet (Core Set)

Treacherys
1x Abandoned and Alone (Core Set)
1x Haunted (Core Set)

This is my first custom deck for the Arkham Horror LCG (now slightly revised).

There are not that many options to deckbuild, yet, but still some choices have to be made. Essentially, I have tried to include a bunch of card draw (Rabbit's Foot, Pickpocketing, but also Overpower, Perception, Manual Dexterity) and action advantage (Leo De Luca, Elusive), in order to get the necessary cards quickly and especially get Wendy's Amulet in time, because it is quite awesome. If it is managable, I will try to empty the draw deck completely, so I can then replay my events as much as necessary with Wendy's Amulet (just need to make sure you have one card in there at the end of the round, so it is not reset, which is one of the reasons for including the single Emergency Cache, otherwise Lucky! is also nice for recurring plays).

Burglary and the Emergency Cache should help finance the more expensive cards (especially Leo De Luca) as well as Dig Deep and Hard Knocks, when there is nothing else to play.

Hopefully, Baseball Bat and Backstab are enough for combat (Wendy Adams still has the option to disengage, of course, in order to deal with enemies).

So far, I have played the first scenario "The Gathering" (2-player game, teamed up with Roland), which worked really well. I also think this will work really well solo, at least for that scenario (havn't looked at the next one's at all, so I do not know what's coming... but I will find out soon ).

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pittman
msg tools
mbmbmb
Interesting.

I particularly like your ideas about trying to get through the deck to get the most out of Wendy's Amulet. I suspect it might be more achievable once the cardpool expands.

Below is my first attempt at a constructed Wendy deck.

Total Cards: (30)

Investigator: (1)
1x Wendy Adams (Core Set)

Asset: (10)
2x Burglary [0] (Core Set)
2x Flashlight [0] (Core Set)
2x Leather Coat [0] (Core Set)
1x Leo De Luca [0] (Core Set)
2x Pickpocketing [0] (Core Set)
1x Wendy’s Amulet [0] (Core Set)

Event: (11)
2x Backstab [0] (Core Set)
2x Elusive [0] (Core Set)
2x Emergency Cache [0] (Core Set)
2x Lucky! [0] (Core Set)
2x Sneak Attack [0] (Core Set)
1x “Look what I found!” [0] (Core Set)

Skill: (10)
2x Guts [0] (Core Set)
2x Manual Dexterity [0] (Core Set)
2x Perception [0] (Core Set)
2x Survival Instinct [0] (Core Set)
2x Unexpected Courage [0] (Core Set)

Weakness: (2)
1x Paranoia (Core Set)

Points of difference between our builds:
ASSETS
Baseball Bat/Leather Coat - We're conversely running one but not the other. I'm not too sure on my pick here. Running the Bat gives you the option of beating that I otherwise get around with Events (see below). But I don't like the Bat's double-handed requirement, as Flashlight is potentially very important, and even with the weapon Wendy is still pretty weak. On the flipside, I'm equally not sure that the Coat is worth the deck space. Maybe .41 Derringer would be the way to go.
Rabbit's Foot - I like it a lot. I like how you're running it as a single, since it can clash with Wendy's Amulet. I think I'll ultimately follow your lead on this one (the wild skill buff is nice too) ... not sure of what to cut, maybe one Burglary.
Dig Deep/Hard Knocks - In contrast to the Foot, I'm not a fan of these and don't regret cutting them. I'd need a lot of convincing.
Leo De Luca - I run him as a one-off because of his cost.
EVENTS
Sneak Attack - I'm running two and you've got no copies. I think SA will be crucial when and if Wendy needs to defeat an enemy as opposed to just evading them. Along with Backstab, it's Wendy's best option for doing damage.
Emergency Cache/"Look what I found!" - Not a big difference. We're just running these in converse card counts.
SKILLS
Guts/Overpower - We're conversely running one but not the other. I'm not sure on Guts, but I've pretty much decided to steer clear of attacking with Combat so Overpower wouldn't do much for me ... unless I did go for the .41 Derringer asset.
Survival Instinct - I'm running it, you're not. I haven't actually used it yet, but it seems like a potential fix for a situation where Wendy gets mobbed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's see:

Leo De Luca - definitely one card to include twice. You want to see him early, otherwise he will be of little use. Especially, because he is expensive (although, Burglary can mitigate that cost nicely). You can always throw him into some check or fuel Wendy's ability, if you are not going to play him, so you do not really have to be afraid of drawing any "useless" cards later.

Leather Coat - was in the first version, but I dropped it, since I don't see Wendy taking that many wounds, really. And there is still Leo to soak some up, if needed.

Baseball Bat - this is, essentially, my Sneak Attack. Not that sneaky, I guess. It is a great weapon, though. The 2 hands are a little annoying, as you cannot equip it together with a Flashlight. And Wendy's ability makes it fairly unlikely, that you will lose it to a bad draw.

Rabbit's Foot - I like it in theory. In practice, so far, not failing that many checks. You need to draw at least thrice to make even (cost and card and action to play it), so probably not really worth it. First card to move out, and I might actually drop it for a second Emergency Cache.

Dig Deep/Hard Knocks - Havn't had them in play, yet, but they are crazy good in combination with Burglary, I think. In the one game I played, I was swimming in resources most of the time. A nice backup for some crucial tests, and when you do not want to lose cards (for adding some bonus).

Sneak Attack - Yeah, I am not sure about that one. It is just 2 damage, so does not help against the enemies where you would need it. Therefore, I went the more direct approach, buffing her combat enough to make do.

Guts/Overpower - Would do the same, if I went no combat. Only reason to do it differently would be to have some extra combat power for your partner deck(s), if you are not playing solo.

Survival Instinct - Another card I had in there initially. But she still has Elusive for the crucial moments. I just thought it is too much, especially since the deck is meant to draw quite a bit.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Poole
msg tools
So, I recently trounced the standard campaign with Wendy/Roland. Here's a few thoughts in response to everyone else's thoughts:

Leo: Yeah, he's definitely a 2x. You want to draw him early, because he takes 8 rounds to earn back his cost (6+draw+play), or 7 if you're playing the XP version. If you get a second copy, you can still shuffle 3 damage/horror on to your first copy and then replay him if you're in a spot where wounds/sanity are tight, or you can chuck him for the +1 book icon. There's almost no such thing as a dead card in this game, just suboptimal.

Baseball Bat - The Bat is decent for the ability to take out small enemies without burning events. Sometimes it's just better to whack a critter with a 1/2/X or 2/2/X stat line than to evade it and let it come back to bother you. On the other hand, it's incompatible with the flashlight.

Leather Coat - Blah. I have a hard time taking considerably more damage than horror. I typically run low on both at the same time without the jacket, so it just means I'll go crazy instead of die.

Rabbit's Foot - Agree with Thanee, the payoff comes too late. Then again, it's not the worst thing to run.

Talents - Blah again. Especially because both provide agility when you already have enough for most routine checks.

Sneak Attack - Can definitely trash enemies that are 4/2/X efficiently, or anything with a similar stat line. Also, you can combo it with Backstab two-shot the things that need killing. Also by running Sneak Attacks, you rely less on your breakable Bats or on running and hiding, which is often counterproductive when enemies host doom counters.

Guts/Overpower - Overpower goes better with bats, Guts has no default skill check associated with it. Overpower is also tremendously good if you're playing a duo or larger group with at least one person who hits the monsters.

Elusive/Survival Instinct - Elusive is the better card if you're in a group (Survival Instinct will toss the monsters on to any same-location buddies), but Survival Instinct is cheaper and gives you a free move. I like both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Escapade wrote:
There's almost no such thing as a dead card in this game, just suboptimal.

Especially with Wendy, as you can use any card to draw another Chaos token, if you do not like the first.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dee
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
Thanee wrote:
If it is managable, I will try to empty the draw deck completely, so I can then replay my events as much as necessary with Wendy's Amulet (just need to make sure you have one card in there at the end of the round, so it is not reset, which is one of the reasons for including the single Emergency Cache, otherwise Lucky! is also nice for recurring plays).

My brain's a bit slow this morning and I can't quite figure out what you're describing here, sorry.

Are you talking about actually drawing through your *entire* investigator deck, but refilling it with event cards placed at the bottom before completely running out?

If that's wrong, can you expand on this or provide an example of it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the game runs long enough, and you probably have both Pickpocket Assets in play, so you can easily draw a lot...

At some point your deck will be empty.

You will have a number of Events in your hand or in the discard pile.

You have Wendy's Amulet in play.

Now you play an Event (from discard, preferably, otherwise from hand).

The Event goes to the bottom of your deck, which - since it is empty - is also the top of your deck.

The next card you draw is that Event.

Repeat, as needed.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dee
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
I've never had double pickpocketing out early enough to get close to an empty deck, but I gotta try that. Sounds hilarious. I'm imagining a situation where you set it up but with two copies of Lv.2 Lucky. As you play one, you draw the second, essentially granting you +2 to all stats for as long you can juggle them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
So, about Sneak Attack... how does that work?

Enemies exhaust when they attack, during the enemy phase, then unexhaust in the upkeep a moment later. Sneak Attack is an action, so can only be used during the investigation phase, when enemies aren't exhausted. When could you use the card? What am I missing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
You Evade the enemy using an action, that also exhausts them. Then you stab them with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ahhhh... now I understand. Wendy does evasion, exhausts enemies. That's a thing I totally missed in the rules. Thanks for the clarification! <thumbs up>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kløve
Denmark
Hillerød
flag msg tools
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed
mbmbmbmbmb
allroundgoodegg wrote:
So, about Sneak Attack... how does that work?

Enemies exhaust when they attack, during the enemy phase, then unexhaust in the upkeep a moment later. Sneak Attack is an action, so can only be used during the investigation phase, when enemies aren't exhausted. When could you use the card? What am I missing?

You use sneak attack to put in an ally from your hand, preferably Gandalf, with his 'comes into play' ability ... oh, wait wrong game.

Real answer:
You can exhaust the enemy on during player turns by evading it. This will disengage you from the enemy and cause it to be exhausted. After this you can play Sneak Attack to deal 2 damage to the enemy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Kløve wrote:
... oh, wait wrong game.
Both games are dying, so no big difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Poole
msg tools
Weltenreiter wrote:
Kløve wrote:
... oh, wait wrong game.

Bitter much?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Escapade wrote:
Weltenreiter wrote:
Kløve wrote:
... oh, wait wrong game.

Bitter much?
Not bitter at all, just forcing dank memes. zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

After finishing the campaign using the deck above together with Roland, I have made some more modifications and have arrived at the following deck list:

Ultimate Wendy

Wendy Adams
Packs: Core Set (2)

Assets
2x Baseball Bat (Core Set)
2x Leo De Luca (Core Set)
2x Pickpocketing (Core Set)
2x Burglary (Core Set)
2x Hard Knocks (Core Set)
2x Flashlight (Core Set)

Events
2x "Look what I found!" (Core Set)
2x Lucky! (Core Set)
2x Backstab (Core Set)
2x Elusive (Core Set)
2x Emergency Cache (Core Set)

Skills
2x Survival Instinct (Core Set)
2x Perception (Core Set)
2x Overpower (Core Set)
2x Unexpected Courage (Core Set)

Special
1x Wendy's Amulet (Core Set)

Treacherys
1x Haunted (Core Set)

After playing the campaign, I have updated my Wendy Adams deck now to what I think is the best possible combination in the core set.

With some card draw and resource generation cards, the basics are covered. Wendy is very flexible with her statline (only combat is really bad) and can succeed in every task that is needed, especially since she can re-draw a revealed chaos token with her amazing ability, giving her a better chance to avoid the bad tokens.

Leo De Luca gives action advantage, basically boosting Wendy in every aspect, and some very flexible cards like Unexpected Courage and Lucky! also help with whatever is needed.

Willpower - Wendy has a 4 here, so not much else needed to be able to get past the test she might face (usually from encounter cards).

Intellect - Wendy has a 3 here. Intellect is very important to gather clues (and for Burglary). Therefore, some cards add to it, namely the Flashlight and Perception. But, even if she does not make the test, there is still "Look what I found!".

Combat - Wendy has a 1 here. Her big weakness. How will she be able to defeat any enemies? Well... she is not a bad fighter at all. All she needs is some cards to buff her combat ability. Baseball Bat is a reliable source of damage with +2 to combat and +1 damage (and when you draw one of the tokens, that make you discard it, you can still re-draw, thanks to Wendy's special ability). But even 3 combat won't be enough against the tougher enemies. That is where Hard Knocks comes into play. With a good amount of resources in Wendy's pool, she can take on pretty much anything. There is Overpower also. Then there is Backstab, which allows her to use agility for combat on top of a nice +2 damage. It's an event, though, so only to be used when really necessary. Hard Knocks also works here.

Agility - Wendy has a 4 here. This is Wendy's specialty. Evading enemies instead of fighting them. With Elusive and Survival Instinct, she can evade even better, and also move in the same action. And, once again, Hard Knocks, if you really have to make it.

I did not have Survival Instinct in my original deck, and it is the one card I missed during the playthrough. Elusive is superb, especially, since you can use it simply to move "for free", but sometimes it just does not do what you need (since you want to move to a location with enemies or an unrevealed location - both of those are covered with Survival Instinct).

In general, Wendy should always try to get Burglary into play early, and use it whenever there is a good opportunity. Having a pile of resources in her pool is a good thing, since she has plenty options to spend like crazy with fairly expensive cards, fast actions, and the skill boost assets.

Likewise, Pickpocketing is amazing, when you are going to evade enemies, which you probably will.

Leo De Luca, Burglary, and Pickpocketing are the cards you want to mulligan for. Everything else can be put back, especially Wendy's Amulet, which you really don't want early.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ant
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just out of curiosity (I've been playing Wendy in our campaign and we've played only the first two scenarios) what do you do about "Abandoned and Alone"?

You mention trying to get your entire deck into play so you can do that trick with Event cards -- but at some point Abandoned and Alone will show up and your *entire* discard pile will disappear from the game, including all the Event cards that might be in there.

Is there a solution for that? Or does Wendy just have to rely on luck? She is a survivor, after all . . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, sometimes it just hits you (like in our 3rd campaign game, where I had to discard 2 cards in the beginning, which included Wendy's Amulet, that was drawn as part of the mulligan). In cases like this, you simply cannot rely on that part of the deck. But overall, Abandoned and Alone is not that much of a deal, really.

You know that Abandoned and Alone is in there, so you should try not to use all your events, but keep some important ones in hand (there are two copies of the events, and it does not usually matter, if you have only one left). When you get it early, it is no problem, usually. When you get it late, it hurts, but since you can plan for it to happen at some point, you can always play the Amulet and then play some events to put them back into the deck, before proceeding to draw the remaining cards in the deck and trigger it. There are plenty ways to play around it.

And it's not like the deck is truly focused on getting that to happen. It is more like an option you have, when you manage to get a lot of card draw. And to prevent the reshuffling (and sanity loss that comes with it), while reaping some benefit from it, since the events are really powerful. The scenarios are often about speed, so it might not be the mosts beneficial thing to focus on getting your draw deck empty. But with Pick Pocketing, especially two copies out, you do draw quite a lot.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kløve
Denmark
Hillerød
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find it interesting that you included baseball bat, but not sneak attack. I would reverse that. Whenever I draw the bat, I question why I put it in the deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't. I think the Baseball Bat is superb, because it can be used multiple times, while Sneak Attack only does 2 damage once, which, usually, isn't even enough to kill an enemy.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kløve
Denmark
Hillerød
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How do you hit with it? Most enemies worth killing have at least 3 combat. I generally don't want to pull when at the same skill as the target.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2x Hard Knocks, 2x Overpower, 2x Unexpected Courage, 2x Lucky.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kløve
Denmark
Hillerød
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I might have to try it to see it in action.

Side note: I love how differently you can build decks even with just the core set. Options are going to go through the roof as soon as we start getting expansions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.