Popular Tags: [View All]
Mason Rouser
United States
Johnstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have stated an opinion before that board gaming is something people are generally predisposed to either like or not like. While it would be great if we could convert everyone around us into gamers, it just isn't realistic. Even among my nearest and dearest, I know most of them would either play something very drudgingly or not at all, yet when I do find someone interested in learning, they tend to be very eager to learn and play. So I was curious how many people came into the hobby slowly. If you have a significant other who eventually became a convert but doesn't post on here, feel free to mention that in the comment.

I found the hobby on meetup when I was in grad school.

Poll
How did you get into modern board gaming? Exclude Parker Bros./ Hasbro type games.
I grew up into it (my family played and taught me when I was young).
I found my way into the hobby on my own volition.
I was introduced to the hobby, and I had a strong predisposition to like board gaming.
I was introduced to the hobby, and I had no predisposition towards the hobby.
I was introduced to the hobby, but I had a strong predisposition against the hobby that I eventually overcame.
      239 answers
Poll created by mrouser

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Buchanan
China
Shenyang
Liaoning
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of my classmates at school were into Warhammer, so I went to our local toy store to look at what they had in stock and ended up getting into first roleplaying games and then board games following this ill-fated incident.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JAn
Australia
Noble Park
Victoria
flag msg tools
mb
In grade five (so when I was about 10yo) our teacher read us "The Hobbit" then brought in his copy of Talisman for us to play. I didn't know what hit me, begged my parents to buy me a copy, and thus began a life-long love affair with gaming, fantasy, sci-fi, the usual - if you have the proclivity, stepping into a store that sells Talisman is like the guy on the corner saying "the first taste is free".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i'm curious how many people in the western world didn't grow up with at least tic-tac-toe, checkers, chess, and the like. i also had Mousetrap, Sorry!, Clue, Candyland, The Game of Life, Trouble, Operation, and of course, Monopoly

i probably played every single one of those before the age of 5 (although chess was more of just playing around with it, but i certainly knew what it was: 'the adult version of checkers')
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orpheus
New Zealand
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I only got into the hobby properly after being introduced to Catan by a friend in New Zealand when I was 18. Before that I had no idea about the diversity in the hobby (and that there was a large swathe of board games that were fun AND very cleverly designed).

It's a great hobby - and one of the main reasons I like it (aside from the fun) is that it's also a good exercise for the old noggin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't exclude Parker/Hasbro, when I was growing up there wasn't anything else available, so it was Monopoly, Mouse Trap, Formula-1, Railroader, Escape from Colditz, Risk, Pit and the like that put me on the trail that led here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Scooperman wrote:
I can't exclude Parker/Hasbro, when I was growing up there wasn't anything else available, so it was Monopoly, Mouse Trap, Formula-1, Railroader, Escape from Colditz, Risk, Pit and the like that put me on the trail that led here.

Quite - Milton Bradley (now swallowed up by Hasborg) was partially responsible for HeroQuest and Space Crusade, the games that got me into gaming. Before them there really wasn't anything even remotely like modern games in Australia. Even the things people refer to as classics from the 80s and earlier were largely unknown here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Osiris Saline
Australia
Red Hill
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I was a sick kid when I was young, not in the edgy teen sense, but genuinely very ill, and I used to play a lot of board games alone, and with friends whenever I got better.

Stuff like Risk, Monopoly, Payday, Scrabble, Upwords, and a lot of old wargames picked up for 50 pence in second hand stores I never understood but loved were my introduction to games.

In terms of the new era, I got into that when I saw Arkham Horror aged 15 and bought a copy, which none of my friends ever wanted to play at first. Also played the rare Parker Brothers (I think) Dungeons & Dragons board games from the early 2000s around the time and enjoyed them a lot, which surprised me, as I'm not a high fantasy D&D type.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Bennetts
United Kingdom
Wellington
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my early years I played all the standard mass-produced stuff, monopoly, scrabble, cluedo (clue) etc. Then at school I played mostly Chess and Hearts, if I wasn't out playing football (soccer). At college I went into RPGs, GM'ing MERP mostly and playing Traveller.

But then I got a job, bought a computer and got into video gaming for a couple of decades and forgot all about analogue gaming. Then I watched 'The Guild' on my XBox 360, and from The Guild came Geek and Sundry, and from Geek and Sundry came TableTop and now I have a couple of Kallax shelf units filled with games and a lot of new friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denmark
flag msg tools
A couple of summers ago my gf and I thought to ourselves, "Wouldn't it be nice if we had some fun board games to play in the garden during the summer break?". So we went online, found a handful of random games, of witch we only kept ticket to ride.

A couple of month later we decided to give the hobby a second chance, did some research this time(video reviews and such)and ended up with Pandemic.
The experience of playing pandemic really opened our eyes to what modern board games could be, from that point on we were fully invested into the hobby.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a lot of boardgames with family and later friends until I was maybe 14 or so. Started roleplaying at around 10. At around 14 boardgaming was practically totally taken over by PC games. And I stopped roleplaying not too long after as well. And it wasn't even that we only had 'boring games' like monopoly or Risk. There was HeroQuest, StarQuest and many others in my earlier collection. Still board gaming didn't seem all that hot at a certain time anymore. Probably also because it was a time it wasn't that cool to just sit around at home before a board.

At around 25 I rediscovered roleplaying at university and a couple years later I went to a local con and met Settlers and Carcassone. Being clean for 10 years all being ruined

So it kinda was dual for me. 1st introduction by family and second rediscovery in by enthusiasts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played games with my older brother, more family on vacation trips, friends in the neighborhood ...

Only wargames and sports simulations needed a wider audience that I found in my university days (and my brother, still.)

It seemed quite common to me to see a games cabinet in any dwelling I visited. But this was a time of one black-and-white TV in the house (at most).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
School games club, stumbled upon it one day and was intrigued.

Cut my teeth on Wacht am Rhine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think I know if I had a predisposition (for or against) or not.

I had some mass market stuff as a kid and we played some card games although not regularly as a kid.
I had friends with hero quest which I have fond memories of but never owned it.
I had friends into warhammer but ran away from the cost and the nerds.
After I was first made aware of "modern games" - carcassone etc - I could see that I would enjoy them and that it would be good to have some for the mrs and the kids to switch off the box. I liked the physicality of them. I feel like there was a predisposition there, a combination of things which meant I was always going to appreciate these things.
So I went to my flgs to pick up some games to start with and almost didn't buy anything because I ran out of oxygen from the BO and the geek stuff I witnessed was distressing to me on a number of levels. Clearly I had a predisposition against aspects of the hobby too.

Can I pick all the options please?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dicky P
United Kingdom
West
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Would you be able to define "modern board gaming"? It would certainly help identify possible timeline and so what the influences were.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mutton Chops
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How did I discover board gaming? I awoke in the middle of the night, when I was about seven years old, and it was sitting in the chair by my little desk, clicking its claws, and hissing quietly through slowly working mandibles, a soft green light emanating from its multi-faceted eyes. I watched, appalled and fascinated, paralysed with fear, as it rose silently on to many crazily-jointed legs and shuffled towards the bed. As it approached, I could smell a strange cocktail of hot plastic, musty wood, and damp cardboard. It leaned over me, twitching its chitinous head to odd angles, and it brought its face closer, closer, closer. Then it spoke, a reedy buzzing, like thousands of cards being shuffled at once.

"You're mine now," it said.

And the rest is history....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had all those kids games and my mother would play with me, loved HiHo Cherry O and Candyland. No so much a Scrabble fan and never liked Monopoly, but I don't know too many people who didn't play it at some time when they were a kid.

When I was a teen, the guy I was dating had this crazy family that would play American Mah jongg at two tables at their house every Friday night...I loved it. No gambling, just fun.

Fast forward many years and my family discovered The Farming Game, which is roll and move and not up to the level of my current collection, but it's not a bad game and we had many hours of enjoyment playing it.

When my son was in high school, a friend was playing some game named Settlers of Catan and raving about it. We sought out our local game shop and now...well I have an entire game room in my house and a bloated, glorious collection, new friends, and things to do in the evening. And all day, since I spend inordinate amounts of time on this site.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Underwood
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
And it doesn't look good for you...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I were with my freind and his partner on new years day, all of us slightly hungover after a great nye. My freind decided to coax us in to a D&D boardgame he had since childhood but never really played. We all had a good time but nothing came of it.

Roll on a few months and I'm laying in bed scrolling through youtube videos and stumble across tabletop. Enjoyed several episodes so decided to grab a view cheap games for us all to try and now we play every Sunday night with an ever growing collection.

Roll on a year and I probably have 15 more people, including some family members, begging to play all types of games with us. (Everyone we introduce has pre-misconceptions but turns out to really enjoy it)

It's beginning to spiral out of control but me and my wife love it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Combat Commander, Up Front, Julius Caesar, Fields of Fire! The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Little Wars in the late 1960s, Tactics II in 1970. The rest is history.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Martyn
United States
Guilford
VT
flag msg tools
EXCELSIOR!!!
badge
ZOMGALOMES!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a second-generation wargamer. We played lots of more mainstream games in my house growing up, but I also remember playing Strike Force One when I was maybe six years old.

That set the stage to be an enthusiastic adapter of Magic: The Gathering when I learned it at summer camp, and that led me into Warhammer and roleplaying games a few years later.

I think the first non-mainstream boardgame I bought was a copy of Ebola Monkey Hunt in high school, after reading about it in Knights of the Dinner Table. And that really got the ball rolling, starting with other affordable and off-beat titles like the offerings from Cheapass Games, and then building from there as I entered the workforce and started having access to larger sums of money....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Every Tuesday night there was a group of four of us that would play trivia at the bar. We were a group amongst many. Anyways, the trivia would normally run from 20:00-22:30, then we'd just hang around for another hour or two. We talked about playing games afterwards.

Hit up a game store and asked what's the hottest thing out there for five players. And that's how Puerto Rico joined my family. We played that for a long while and then stopped meeting once members of the group started to graduate.

Fast forward a decade and while I was moving dusted off that same Puerto Rico. From there I found people to play with again and that's how I got back into the board gaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renan Neori
Israel
Tel Aviv
Gush Dan
flag msg tools
From a time before Pachinko...
badge
Don't touch!
mbmbmbmbmb
I played boardgames as a kid (even sorta developed one when I was 7-8. My brother playtested and said it was bad. From the little of it I remember I'd agree). However I kind of forgot about them and went into videogaming hardcore around my early teens.

Some years back I got back to playing tabletop RPGs at a FLGS, and of course aside from RPG paraphernalia they also had boardgames. The fancy boxes drew me in instantly, so when they organized a game night I went to it. Have been an avid boardgamer since.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played the typical stuff growing up, but I cold take or leave playing games. Sometimes it was fun. However, a couple years ago, I was listening to a video game podcast, of all things, but they had a tabletop section. The designer of Evolution started talking about his game and I was fascinated. That lead to YouTube, and I have been obsessed ever since.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Bruno
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Started out as a video gamer. I study game design as a hobby and wanted to know more about other types of gaming. I was at a party and some guys were playing Talisman and invited me to try it, the rest is history

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mason Rouser
United States
Johnstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Boom04 wrote:
Would you be able to define "modern board gaming"? It would certainly help identify possible timeline and so what the influences were.

I meant board games beyond the stuff marketed to kids and games like Risk and Monopoly. I didn't mean it in a "made after year X" way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.