Popular Tags: [View All]
Rebus Carnival
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
When using a special envoy to ignore opportunity requirement, does there need to be a demand dice in the region? In other words, can the special envoy be used to place a merchant in virgin territory? Or in a region in which demand has dried up due to smuggling?

If this is allowed, can a supply chain be completed in a region with no demand?

Likewise, can one use the special envoy to undersell a competitor in a completed supply chain in a region with no demand dice?

Finally, when using the special envoy to "ignore closed regions" (I assume this means closed ports?), does this mean that a freighter can be placed to cover both sea lanes?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
There's a shape called "The Golden Rectangle". Have you heard of it?
United States
Little Canada
Minnesota
flag msg tools
It refers to a rectangle that's approximately contstructed in the ratio of 9 to 16. The golden rectangle has several characteristics. Let's say I create a square within this shape. Then, this smaller rectangle that I just created will also be a
badge
golden rectangle. I make another square within that and the leftover is another golden rectangle. And I make a few more, and when I connect all the central points of these shapes it creates a spiral that continues forever. This is the "Golden Spin".
mbmbmbmbmb
- A special envoy lets you ignore opportunity no matter what, in addition to possibly placing a merchant in a closed region (see here).

- In order for a supply chain to be completed, not only must every space be full but the total price of all the pieces must be less than or equal to the total on all of the demand dice in that region. Necessarily, this means at least one demand dice must be present unless everyone's price is set at 0.
(Note that this second requirement only applies to completing chains -- a chain can't break by having a demand die removed)

- Yes; opportunity has nothing to do with undercutting someone.

- No, the sea spaces only merge into one space when the region is opened during an opium war, after which it is merged forever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
グース
Japan
目黒区
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
rebuscarnival wrote:
Finally, when using the special envoy to "ignore closed regions" (I assume this means closed ports?), does this mean that a freighter can be placed to cover both sea lanes?

I believe the rules specify that you can only place a merchant.

Quote:
Special Envoys. Players may spend a single special envoy to ignore the opportunity requirement during the place action OR to place a merchant (from your holdings) in a legal zone in a closed region. The spent counter should be returned to the player’s stock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebus Carnival
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
halogen64 wrote:
rebuscarnival wrote:

Quote:
Special Envoys. Players may spend a single special envoy to ignore the opportunity requirement during the place action OR to place a merchant (from your holdings) in a legal zone in a closed region. The spent counter should be returned to the player’s stock.

using the wording "during the place action" instead of "when placing a merchant" suggests any place action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Gray
United States
Powder Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

That's what I thought at first, too. But the rule says:

Players may spend a single special envoy to ignore the opportunity requirement during the place action OR to place a merchant . . .

So you may use an envoy to ignore opportunity requirements when placing ANY type of enterprise, OR you may ignore the normal rules when placing a merchant.

We missed this in our first game.

(Just noticed Wikipedia Brown beat me to it! I should read more closely)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebus Carnival
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
No, thanks for the clarification. I ran through a mock game so I could teach this to my group, but had some questions. I appreciate the reinforcement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
mbmbmbmbmb
golden_cow2 wrote:

- Yes; opportunity has nothing to do with undercutting someone.

Well it can. Players can only be undercut when another player has the opportunity to place an enterprise in that region. A special envoy allows players a chance to avoid this requirement.

(I realize your answer seems to take this into account, I just wanted to make sure it was absolutely clear for anyone else reading this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.