Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

The Gallerist» Forums » General

Subject: Love this game, how about the kickstarter tiles? Purpose behind them? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ad Astra Per Aspera
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
No matter where you go, there you are.
badge
Preserve Our Wildlife!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all.

Let me start by saying a friend of mine brought over "Vinhos Deluxe" a few weeks ago. I was skeptical at best. The theme didn't really do anything for me, but it was unique (I have never played Viticulture) so I was impressed nevertheless. My gamer friend and meet up once a week and play from about 6:30pm through the night to about 4:00am. I work nights. We love the euros and play them often. The family favorite is easily Stone Age, but my gamer friend and I love Caverna. Nothing can top Caverna. We have about 50 games of Caverna and are still not tired of it. So there wasn't really a need to find a 2+ hour game as we already have a number that fill that time slot.

Nevertheless, Vinhos hit the table and I was enamored with it. We have many many plays. I since have purchased the Deluxe edition along with all the kickstarter stuff. We use most of it every game. They don't change the game much, just give us more options on turns.

In the light of the success of Vinhos Deluxe I wanted to try another one. I love art. The theme of The Gallerist really interested me. The ratings of the game almost guarantee that it will be good at the very least, and a contender to knock Vinhos out of top slot.

We set it up Wednesday afternoon and played 4 games back to back. The first game took a while due to constant rules checks, sporadic watching of BGG videos, etc. But the other three flowed right along.

Short story, I love Vinhos, but I like The Gallerist much better. It just feels like you're never screwed and careful play and overcome an early lead by the opponent (I've only played these games as a 2P). The feel (and look) of The Gallerist is similar to Vinhos, and yet a very different experience. Tip of the hat to Vital.

And now, after a long preamble, the thread's original question. Having looked at the kickstarter tiles they don't look like they do a whole heck of a lot. I do remember reading a comment from Vital saying that the tiles that provide 3 tickets each (and probably the tiles that dole out a large amount of fame) are there to speed the game up. Is that the intended purpose behind these tiles? To provide a faster game for those that want to shorten the game length? Personally, I can see how this would indeed speed the game up. They help rush two of the end-game conditions (two artists to retire and empty box office). And though this would literally speed the game up, it seems like it would hobble your ability to accomplish in-game goals of every type short of ending the game sooner. Which to me sounds like an abbreviated game experience unless you're literally trying to shorten the game at the cost of handicapping your scores.

Do you guys typically use these tiles? Or is it just unused box candy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Bocchetta
Italy
Milano
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The latter. Unused box candy.

The game is complete as it is.

The additional tiles are divided in two groups: the first group are just replacemente tiles with different art (the reason can be found in the forums here).

The second group adds tiles that give 3 tickets and no people in the plaza, or the opposite (0 tickets, 3 meeples).

They can significantly alter the pace of the game, and that's why should be added only for plays with experienced players.

I've played a bunch of games of The Gallerist and I like it, but I never had the need to change tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cabral
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maddest Hatter,

I have the retail version and it is an excellent and complete game but I am also considering getting the Stretch Goals as well.

You can consider getting the Kickstarter Stretch Goal Pack #1 which includes a Gallerist Logo Cloth Bag, 1 Wooden Score Marker, 1 Brown Easel, 1 bag of 8 clear plastic cubes.

http://www.eaglegames.net/product-p/101792.htm

The brown easel is for the 1st player marker. The wooden score marker is used for end game scoring steps. The clear plastic cubes look nice, but it's just nice box candy but useful and won't impact the length of gameplay.

With regards to the Stretch Goal Pack #2. That looks more enticing to me as I have a few plays of the game under my belt and would like to see how these new tiles change the game for experienced players like myself.

4 tiles increase fame by 3 + collector(s) in your gallery but no new visitors in the plaza. Nor any tickets gained when buying this art. This can come in handy for the solo game where you need to have a certain amount of masterpieces to reach Master Gallerist but conserve tickets in the box office.

4 tiles do not increase fame but add 3 visitors and you gain 3 tickets (one more than normal) so these pieces of art quickens one end-game condition but not the other.

4 tiles give out the normal rewards of 1 or 2 fame + collector(s) and 2 tickets and visitors. 2 of these tiles allow YOU the owner to put your own art on display!

I think I just talked myself into getting Pack #2 and skipping Pack #1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ad Astra Per Aspera
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
No matter where you go, there you are.
badge
Preserve Our Wildlife!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wanted to clarify that I actually own the kickstarter content already. I haven't used anything other than the green end game score-track pawn.

The tiles look fun, but as far as I can tell they just don't add anything to the game. If anything, remove from the game if used.

If that's true, the most useful part of all the kickstarter content I have is the end game score pawn.

That's not the end of the world, but it does suggest that the kickstarter content is almost 100% unnecessary. The only thing I can see being used would be the green end-game pawn. Even then, you only need it in a 4 player game and frankly a penny can be used as effectively as the pawn in it's place.

Just wanted to see if anyone else had a different take on the kickstarter tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Bocchetta
Italy
Milano
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We usually use the green pawn as a tool to remind who's on turn now (because kick-out actions can be misleading).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cabralicus wrote:
Maddest Hatter,

I have the retail version and it is an excellent and complete game but I am also considering getting the Stretch Goals as well.

You can consider getting the Kickstarter Stretch Goal Pack #1 which includes a Gallerist Logo Cloth Bag, 1 Wooden Score Marker, 1 Brown Easel, 1 bag of 8 clear plastic cubes.

http://www.eaglegames.net/product-p/101792.htm

The brown easel is for the 1st player marker. The wooden score marker is used for end game scoring steps. The clear plastic cubes look nice, but it's just nice box candy but useful and won't impact the length of gameplay.

With regards to the Stretch Goal Pack #2. That looks more enticing to me as I have a few plays of the game under my belt and would like to see how these new tiles change the game for experienced players like myself.

4 tiles increase fame by 3 + collector(s) in your gallery but no new visitors in the plaza. Nor any tickets gained when buying this art. This can come in handy for the solo game where you need to have a certain amount of masterpieces to reach Master Gallerist but conserve tickets in the box office.

4 tiles do not increase fame but add 3 visitors and you gain 3 tickets (one more than normal) so these pieces of art quickens one end-game condition but not the other.

4 tiles give out the normal rewards of 1 or 2 fame + collector(s) and 2 tickets and visitors. 2 of these tiles allow YOU the owner to put your own art on display!

I think I just talked myself into getting Pack #2 and skipping Pack #1.

CSI (www.coolstuffinc.com) offers the kickstarter packs for about $1 cheaper than EGG and if you bundle them in with games that total over $100, you can get free shipping as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.