Subject: What is a good game to get while in China? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Donald M.
United States
Sweet Grass
Montana
flag msg tools
My friend is going to China and s he will buy me a game. What game is unique to China that is hard to find in America or Canada?

I think Dixit Odyssey (for up to 12 players) or Sanguosha?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Buchanan
China
Shenyang
Liaoning
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure, there is no shortage of Dixit clones out there (I usually spot around three different variants on my wanders around the wholesale markets), but idiodsyncratically Chinese games, well...

You have the traditionals such as Go and Mah Jong. (Frankly, some of the sets are stunning compared to what I used to be able to access back in the UK).

There is Chinese Chess and it's baby-brother, Army Chess in seemingly endless varieties (I used to have a dinosaur themed one). There is Chinese Chequers too.

Beyond that, there are myriad social deductions games (werewolf, spy, killer, mafia... whatever) and large numbers of forfeit-based Uno variants.

There are original games and they look stunning (usually based on the Three Kingdoms setting), but as they are all written in Madarin Chinese, they can be a bit hard to deal with as they are text heavy.

After that, you get down to Mah-Jong cards (which are frequently gorgeous), dice games and playing cards.

Personally, if I'd been in your situation, I'd have gone for a nice Mah-Jong set or good Go pieces. They aren't expensive and have much more variety than the ones available through the international markets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald M.
United States
Sweet Grass
Montana
flag msg tools
oneshallstand wrote:
Sure, there is no shortage of Dixit clones out there (I usually spot around three different variants on my wanders around the wholesale markets), but idiodsyncratically Chinese games, well...

You have the traditionals such as Go and Mah Jong. (Frankly, some of the sets are stunning compared to what I used to be able to access back in the UK).

There is Chinese Chess and it's baby-brother, Army Chess in seemingly endless varieties (I used to have a dinosaur themed one). There is Chinese Chequers too.

Beyond that, there are myriad social deductions games (werewolf, spy, killer, mafia... whatever) and large numbers of forfeit-based Uno variants.

There are original games and they look stunning (usually based on the Three Kingdoms setting), but as they are all written in Madarin Chinese, they can be a bit hard to deal with as they are text heavy.

After that, you get down to Mah-Jong cards (which are frequently gorgeous), dice games and playing cards.

Personally, if I'd been in your situation, I'd have gone for a nice Mah-Jong set or good Go pieces. They aren't expensive and have much more variety than the ones available through the international markets.

Thanks for the info. The games you mentioned are typical classic Chinese games. Sangousha is a Bang clone, so maybe I ask my friend to get Dixit Odyssey? I played Mahjongg and find it kind of boring though. Luzhanqi is the common Chinese chess I think. If the game is in Mandarin Chinese I have Chinese friends so they can teach me anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Hester
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
meow
mbmbmbmbmb
If Taiwan counts, Far East War 1592

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Kitching
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't have thought Dixit Odyssey was hard to find in US.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Buchanan
China
Shenyang
Liaoning
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oiler1 wrote:

If the game is in Mandarin Chinese I have Chinese friends so they can teach me anyway.

Most of the Bang clones (again, there are more than the one you mention) are very text heavy, you'd have to sleeve the cards with inserts to make it playable. Even our gaming group, with it's varying levels of Chinese competence, is wary about getting hold of anything text-heavy.

The Dixit copies (and make no mistake - these are usually direct copies) should be safe though and I'm pretty sure you can get the rules anyway, but it's not really something you can't get outside of China anyway (whilst putting money into the developer's pockets). Certainly, they are not unique to China.

I've picked up a couple of the Chinese clones of games (mainly just to preserve my originals when I play games at school) and you can see the quality drop off. I recently picked up a second copy of Bohnanza to keep my original in good condition and the box, cards *and* instructions are down on quality from my original. I've seen a "Dixit Odyssey" set that on closer inspection was just cards... not even a set of rules. Let the buyer beware, and all that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald M.
United States
Sweet Grass
Montana
flag msg tools
Postmark wrote:
I wouldn't have thought Dixit Odyssey was hard to find in US.

The 12 player version not the expansion is hard to find cheap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald M.
United States
Sweet Grass
Montana
flag msg tools
BenjaminHester wrote:
If Taiwan counts, Far East War 1592

I want to get this one. I can't find in NA though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niall McGrath
Ireland
dublin
dublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I remember getting a dodgy version of catan in China, the weird thing was it only had 1 die (12 sided I think)- it totally negated the risk/reward element of the game in choosing some resource tiles and changed the game massively.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Buchanan
China
Shenyang
Liaoning
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dubatc wrote:
I remember getting a dodgy version of catan in China, the weird thing was it only had 1 die (12 sided I think)- it totally negated the risk/reward element of the game in choosing some resource tiles and changed the game massively.

Some of the changes made to what are otherwise direct copies are bemusing.My friend picked up a Red7 that changed the numbers on the cards, added a "Chameleon" card and forfeits. I've never seen that Catan knock-off though, sounds very special.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Buchanan
China
Shenyang
Liaoning
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if this will help, I went shopping this morning so popped into a couple of my regular games haunts.

Here, take a look...

Here are a few boxes of your Three Kingdoms games, Sanguosha. I'll be darned if I know for sure if they are official or not, but that should give you an idea of what you're up against. Some games have English subtitles or limited translations, but not this one.

Note also the box with a picture of a caveman underneath them, as far as I can tell it's a cheap Concept knock-off. very heavily re-themed and lacking the nice playing pieces, but you pay your money...

Here we see some Ubongo knock offs, a vast array of werewold/mafia/spy social deduction games and some... actually, I don;t know for sure. Buying games based on what i can glean from the box is a bit of a gamble, to be fair.

And finally...

Dixit Odyssey. This box is exactly the right size for the deck of cards... not cards and pieces, or a board... or even instructions. I also saw a 10-player Dixit today (that looked vaguely official in fairness, but I didn't check it too closely as I was looking at other things).

For the record, today I took two gambles on completely unfamiliar Chinese-produced games and what I ended up with appears to be a four-player Lost Cities variant, based on constructing fantasy cities and what appears to be a cat-themed version of Wanted. As I have both games in their original forms already, this just means I have a couple of nice variants to keep at work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.