mbmbmbmbmb
Jaque Quince

Simple rules and short strategic duels inspired by Bauhaus

Number of players: 2
Playing time: 10 minutes
Ages: 10+
Game designd and art: Pablo Céspedes & Víctor Hugo Cisternas

Objective
The objective of the game is to play in such a way that your opponent cannot respond to the opening play. This is called “delivering a jaque” and it grants points. The first player to achieve 15 points wins the game.

The cards
Jaque Quince has 3 different suits. Each suit has a reference value with respect to the other suits (i.e., every suit is bigger than another suit).
Each suit has 5 cards, and the bigger number cards have greater value. Aces are higher than 3, 4, and 5, but they are lower than 2. As there are 3 suits each with 5 cards, there are a total of 15 cards.
In the reference card, there is a diagram that could be useful during matches.

How a hand is played
The 15 cards are shuffled. One random card is set apart face down and becomes the hidden card. The other 14 cards are dealt out, with seven being given to each player.
We will be calling the player that goes first Player A, and their opponent Player B.
Player A plays and reveals any card they wish this is called opening a round. Player B must respond with a card of the same suit. If Player B does not have a card of the same suit, they must play a card of the same number. The played cards are placed face up in front of each other. This concludes the first round of the hand.
The card with the biggest value wins the round. The player that wins the round will open the next round.
If any player opens a round with a card that the opponent cannot respond to, either by suit or by number, then a “jaque” has been delivered. The hand subsequently ends, and points are granted to the player that delivered the jaque.

Scoring and ending of the match
The player that delivered the jaque wins the hand and receives a number of points that are equal to the number of rounds played in this hand (including the final one).
The player that loses the hand opens the first round of the next hand.
If the seventh round is played and no one player has been able to deliver a jaque, the hand ends in a draw and no points are granted. The player that played the lower value card in the last round opens the next hand.
Whoever reaches 15 points wins the match. Before the match starts, players may agree to play the match to more or less points.

Example of a match

This game was designed to enter the 3rd annual 18 Card Microgame Contest hosted by Hacko Games.

PnP Files
PDF high quality file

EDIT1: Rules changed replacing "movement" by "round and other tweeks. Cards back changed to be printer friendlier.
EDIT2: Rules orthography tweeks. CONTEST READY
EDIT3: Jaque Quince now have it's own BGG entry (link here)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Víctor Hugo Cisternas
Chile
Santiago
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: (WIP)-(18 Card)-Jaque Quince {component ready - rules proofreading in progress}
This is our firts entry for a BGG contest.

Any advise would be very usefull.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. L.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: (WIP)-(18 Card)-Jaque Quince {component ready - rules proofreading in progress}
Hi! First, thanks for making the suits shapes as well as colors. Very helpful for me.

After reading the rules I have two questions -- first, would you like to use the word "round" instead of "movement"? I think "round" is a better word to use for English speakers.

Second -- you probably need to write that cards are shuffled after each round and a new hidden card drawn, if this is correct. Thanks for the game, it is lovely and I will give it a try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Hoddinott
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Very interesting, rules are clear and the game feels right. Let's have those component files soon, I'm keen to it a play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Víctor Hugo Cisternas
Chile
Santiago
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your feedback and kind words.

Edited rules with your suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
Welcome to the contest.

GarryHoddinott wrote:
Let's have those component files soon, I'm keen to it a play.

Looks like you could play with standard playing cards too (A to 5 of three suits), which I think is cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.