Jim Jones
Australia
flag msg tools
G'day all,

During a recent game, the Rogue used Riposte Strike and killed a Gargoyle during another player's turn. The player, since they didn't kill any monsters during their turn, claimed that they should receive a treasure card for killing the Gargoyle.

I said that since it wasn't their turn, they don't get one but they would if it was their turn.

Just wondering how you guys would have played this situation.

Cheers

LB

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arto Hietanen
Finland
Vantaa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depending on the game, there are lots of ways to kill a monster outside of your hero phase. Some examples are LoD's stances and animal companions, WoA's Blade Barrier and caltrops. I think that the rules are a bit hazy about this, but I personally play it as you played, no treasure is gained when the kill happens outside of hero phase. At least that is easy to adjudicate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
badge
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
Tenple of Elemental Evil rulebook wrote:
When your Hero defeats a Monster, draw a Treasure card (see page 13). You can only draw one Treasure card per turn, no matter how many Monsters you defeat during that turn.

These rule has been quoted from Dungeons & Dragons: Temple of Elemental Evil Board Game's rulebook, but I think it has not been changed since Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game.

Rules as written you would draw a Treasure card, even if it's not your turn, as long as it's the first monster you defeated in that turn.

Nothing I found in the rules prohibits to earn a Treasure during another player's turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hey, buddy, can you spare a role?
badge
I jotted it down in my Risk campaign book. I always used to do that so I could replay my moments of glory over a glass of brandy in the sleeping quarters. --Arnold J. Rimmer--
mbmb
I'm with Erik - there's nothing in the rules that suggests you can only gain treasure if it's your turn. Only 1 treasure per turn, no matter the amount of monsters killed.

If this was the SECOND monster the Rogue had killed, and he had already collected a treasure for the first one, I would say no, he doesn't get one. But if it's his first, sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.