Popular Tags: [View All]
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This doesn't look like it is going to fund again, and it looks like no one cares.

No discussion on here.

No promotion on the forums.

Nothing.

Shame, as it looks sorta cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff McLeod
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Comment/forum on the KS page has been relatively active, and I've seen a fair amount of coverage in the metal press, etc.

I watched a couple of live stream playthroughs, and it really looks like a blast to play. Wish it could happen!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Vannoy
United States
Royal Oak
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Thematically, this is one of the most interesting concepts I have seen in a while. If funding fails, the designers should reduce the game boards down to one (The Cave of the Crystal Sultan), possibly reduce some other components, and make it available through The Game Crafter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the multiple boards are critical to replayabilty with this game.

Without modular boards, a single board would get repetitive pretty quickly.

That said, the lack of input from the author is pretty pathetic. Even the KS feed is hardly active.

It's like they don't care at this point no that they have their prototype copies for personal use.

It could be the large number of KS rolling right now too, but that wouldn't have any impact on the authors enthusiasm for their game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maher Sagrillo
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey John,

First, I really appreciate your interest!

Not sure what you mean by lack of input, or that we're just apathetic because we have a prototype of the game (we've had it for... maybe half a year now). We're replying to comments on the Kickstarter constantly. We were doing podcasts, blog interviews, and live demos of the game during the campaign as well. Replying to emails and communicating, while having full time jobs. We could always do better of course.

There's not a lot of activity from us on BGG, but there is elsewhere. In the future, we should be more active here.

You are right that the multiple boards are important for replayability, and it would be very strange with just one.

We'll see what we can do as far as changing the game, or even just our Kickstarter, for a future release.

Again I appreciate the feedback and interest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well considering this is a boardgame and the primary concern of this website is boardgames, it seems to me that more effort here would be worthwhile.

Any crossover sales by participation on music and metal sites is just that, crossover sales. Most people on those sites are not boardgamers and so the impact is limited.

Everyone on here is a boardgamer and some are metal fans, so impact is maximized.

At the bare minimum you could at least provide links to other content at other sites here, so interested parties can keep informed.

The general tone of the KS comments is people trying to convince you to add miniatures to the game or to change your chosen art direction with more color.

This would be a mistake, since it would be very difficult to replicate your art style in any sort of affordable miniature. I personally don't give a damn about more minis that I will never get around to painting. I have thousands and thousands of them sitting in boxes that I will never get to either.

People on Kickstarter expect tons of free crap and minis are part of this. You cannot compete with the tons of plastic offered by many Kickstarters, so don't even try. All it will do is make you crazy, delay delivery, and push up costs while adding absolutely nothing to the actual gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Simak
Australia
Bathurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is quite niche, I don't know that any amount of extra promotion would really serve to get this game funded necessarily.

I funded it and I'm sad it doesn't seem likely to make it, as I love the aesthetic.

Hopefully round 3 maybe, with a smaller funding goal. Either way I'll be waiting and hoping for another go at it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maher Sagrillo
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Appreciate the feedback and support, all of you. If you have any suggestions or desires for a round 3 Kickstarter, let me know! And happy late Thanksgiving.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grendel's Mother
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
For what it is worth Mr. Sagrillo, I think you did your due diligence. The first launch failed with miniatures and a higher price point, so the backers suggested eliminating miniatures to save money. You listened, but it did not bring you anymore success.

Now people are asking you to bring back the miniatures. Or add some kind of color. Which may or may not help, but surely it compromises the original vision of the game, which is why your small group of dedicated supporters are still here.

Sometimes things do not work out in life, for whatever reasons too abstruse for us to realize. People may say this is due to the game being too niche and monochrome, but you already know of a very successful niche game with no color from your own backyard, which I will spare you from being named yet again.

Long story short, I have absolutely no meaningful advice for you Mr. Sagrillo. I just wanted to show you some appreciation for retrying after Necronauts, and I look forward to supporting you in the near future, should you choose to attempt it again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a key thing here is the time of year and two other huge profile Kickstarters that people have been saving money for.

But I agree with minis and color not being the solution, especially since minis failed once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maher Sagrillo
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
@Grendel - I appreciate it and agree with you fully. It is definitely tough to listen to all the feedback people have and not compromise what we were "going for", but also not completely ignore people's valid points.

I think we did our due diligence too, though I certainly think we could be better at marketing, drumming up excitement on a day-to-day basis through our social media outlets and the Kickstarter itself, that kind of thing. We only posted a few updates in the entire KS duration, when we should have posted daily or at least near daily.

We are metalhead game designer guys, and that is just not our forte, marketing and social media promotion and whatnot. We will launch again I think, doing what we can to improve things and try to make it happen, but if we did anything wrong, I think it was that aspect. Just something to improve on the next time around.

@John - Yes, the timing was poor. We didn't realize there were so many sci-fi and horror games coming out at around the same time, but we should have thought as much with it being Halloween. After all, we had that idea too. Also there was the US elections which, while seemingly unrelated, correlated to a massive drop and stall in the project not long after it had started. People just didn't have the attention for both here, understandably, and we didn't utilize that well enough either.

I can see minis and/or color possibly helping, but it's something we'll have to consider very careful in how we do it, why we do it, and how much it ends up changing the pricing of the game. It's a trade-off of niche vs mainstream appeal, being unique vs becoming more standard, and how those things affect sales.

Regardless of what we do, we'll not be compromising the core theme or anything else of the game, as I feel that is where it stands out, what people (niche or not) are interested in, and it would just slowly move us into being another sci-fi dungeon crawler that doesn't really stand out!

Thanks for the feedback and support everyone, we'll definitely be back on it with even more lessons learned. We are not too sore about it - each time we've done this and iterated, it has been a huge boost to our game's quality, the studio's following, and our understanding of the process.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody
United States
Agoura Hills
Select state
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The games has natural crossover appeal to the Cave Evil games. You might contact the guys who put those out for ideas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maher Sagrillo
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Cody,

Most certainly... I've actually played with Nate from Cave Evil. They are kind of in a similar boat actually. The games don't make a lot of money, and they've taken some hits financially to make some of their stuff, which I tremendously respect (but cannot afford myself), and doesn't bode well for this kind of game being made without some very special factors in place. Cave Evil has those factors, namely being started and having a nice dedicated community even before Kickstarter existed. Nate was even kind enough to advertise Cryptic Explorers a little before the campaign ended.

Definitely tough to sell this kind of game, we will see what we can do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.