Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Answer my questions plz rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Phoenix Bird
Antarctica
msg tools
mbmbmb
With topics like Free Actions, Attacks of Opportunity and Action Designators can I start as many new topics as I want?

Is it necessary to search for posts where people have put in time and effort to look up the rules and patiently explain them before or am I such a special snowflake that I need my thread just for me.

Is it necessary to read or even open the rulebook when I can inconvenience everyone who has?

Am I not doing the site and game a huge favour as by starting these duplicate threads? Making the forums swell to bloated proportions makes everyone think this game is popular right? Not that it is confusing or poorly written and contains flaws so fundamental that they have to be explained over and over again.

Even though it takes the same amount of time for me to type an email to the FFG rules contact...

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/contact/rules/

or to the designer’s Twitter account...

@Natsunoyoru

...as it takes me to post here why should I solicit an official response that I could post to the geek that would not help just me but everyone with that question once and for all.

OK, OK. Just a bit of snark to highlight what I see as a needless and frustrating trend. Not just in this game or on this website either. If I hadn’t attended conventions and games cafes and met other gamers I would assume that they are ignorant, stupid, lazy or self-entitled because they can’t/ won’t even use a search bar.

If you type your rules question into Google, it will search Boardgame Geek, the FFG forums, Cardgame.db, Reddit and places you will never have heard of to find you an existing answer that requires you do much less typing and not even wait for someone to reply.

Answer a rules question and you will help a gamer today. Teach a gamer to use the rulebook and you will be helping them for life.

Phoenix
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Buckle
United Kingdom
Thornton Heath
Croydon
flag msg tools
designer
Omega Centauri
badge
Published in 2014
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, a bit harsh - I'd rather see rules questions than yet another thread on how many core sets you should get.

If there are lots of rule questions then it indicates the game is harder to learn, or the rulebook(s) less clear than they should be.

I suspect some of it is people not used to the LCG/CCG card game format where the cards break lots of the standard rules and the combination of cards played and timing can get quite complicated.

I agree you have a point - it would be helpful if people had a look to see if their question had been answered, but with lots of posts and less than clear subject headings that isn't always easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phoenix Bird
Antarctica
msg tools
mbmbmb
Maybe if we had a sticky thread for the FAQ that could help.

But it seems to me the people that ask the questions haven’t looked it up in the rulebook and the people that answer have.

I have answered tons of questions here. All I do is open the rules reference and type out what I find. There is no reason why the poster could not have done the same.

Maybe they are all just millennials

Phoenix

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Taylor
Switzerland
Uster
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phoenix_Bird wrote:

Answer a rules question and you will help a gamer today. Teach a gamer to use the rulebook and you will be helping them for life.

Phoenix

That might be true, and I might only be a relative newbie to FFG (Imperial Assault was my viginity, but now I play a lot of their games), their rules are not always SO easy to figure out.

There are timing issues, even some stuff that is explained, but could potentially be misread and misunderstood.

I had little issue with this game, only the differences from older games, but I can sympathetically see, unlike you, how newcomers can easily get completely lost in this game.

Above all, fly casual.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For myself, I'm perfectly happy to answer a new thread of a repeat question if I'm in here because I'm a feeling a bit sociable. I find the environment in here a very welcoming place, and I try to do a little bit to make it even more so. I have no doubt that the vast majority of people gaining information here are simply reading older threads, and I am also certain that for many people trying to find an answer to their question and also hearing a friendly word directed specifically at them would brighten their day just a little bit. I certainly don't worry if I am not the one to answer a question because I was offline or thinking about something else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Le Roux Van Der Vyver
msg tools
mb
Do you get an electric shock every time a new thread is started with a duplicate question? If so then yeah, we should do something about it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Miller
United States
Livonia
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesn't matter much. Anyways I prefer rules question even if they are duplicate, because I may have missed the question previously. Also unless you saw the first question posted you wouldn't know that the question had already been asked unless your searching every time a question is asked. But it doesn't hurt anything. I will usually use search first or browse multiple topics before asking but occassionaly. I miss the question or answer even doing that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan McGuire
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Ack!
mbmbmbmbmb
I find it just as easy to ignore the repeat questions as it is to be annoyed by them. It then comes down to a simple choice of how miserable I want to be that day.

SIDE NOTE: As much as I'm astonished with the plethora of repeat questions, I am more surprised at the fact that they all have been answered (even every one about the number of core sets needed (btw, the answer is "none")).

I was looking up a question in the forums for an older game. I found numerous titles asking my question, but each response was a harsh criticism that the OP needed to search the forums (just as I was doing). I eventually found the very first time the question was asked 20 pages down.

So, if I'm annoyed at the repeat questions (which honestly I am), I can at least take comfort that the community here has been super supportive in answering the questions. It not only helps the OP, but it helps all those that ARE searching the forums for answers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Oytoyt
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These questions have already been answered in another thread. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly B
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This happens every time a new FFG game gets released. The whole thing will calm down eventually. One does have to bear the seas of duplicate posts and complainers (box size, core count, card stock quality) for only so long and then we can all be friends. I hope this turns into what the LOTR forums evetually did: a welcoming group always willing to lend a hand.

I don't mind the same question getting asked multiple times, it adds clarity. I do wonder what the complainers hope to get out of their posts but I try not to think on them too much cause really, I'm here to enjoy the company of those who enjoy this game.

Gameplay is about who we spend our time with and how we find enjoyment. I'm not here to bitch about things that annoy me but then at 48 I've learned that I shouldn't complain until I understand the WHOLE PICTURE. Most complainers find the 'easy' route to complain. Such is the world we live in...just look at SJWs. Games are about enjoying time with others, not complaining.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor S
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
MY COPY OF ARKHAM IS MISSING LITA CHANTLER WHAT SHOULD I DO?

PS I have a medical condition that prevents me from looking at all of the cards included.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phoenix Bird
Antarctica
msg tools
mbmbmb
Rules are hard to read and harder to write. But that is no excuse not to try.

If one is confused by a rule the forums are a great place to go and get help. Not everyone is playing a boardgame in their native language or used to the way certain types of games play.

My observation is that it appears there are people who won’t even open the rulebook, or search online for the answer but expect other people to do the work.

Phoenix
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bialecki
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phoenix_Bird wrote:
Rules are hard to read and harder to write. But that is no excuse not to try.

If one is confused by a rule the forums are a great place to go and get help. Not everyone is playing a boardgame in their native language or used to the way certain types of games play.

My observation is that it appears there are people who won’t even open the rulebook, or search online for the answer but expect other people to do the work.

Phoenix

Heh. Take it from a jaded professor, you sound like a jaded professor. Much of what you say goes beyond the board game hobby. Students would much rather send me an email to ask about how many points exam 3 is worth instead of checking the fracking syllabus. And don't get me started on their horrible reading skills.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mbialeck wrote:
Heh. Take it from a jaded professor, you sound like a jaded professor. Much of what you say goes beyond the board game hobby. Students would much rather send me an email to ask about how many points exam 3 is worth instead of checking the fracking syllabus. And don't get me started on their horrible reading skills.....

You have every right to feel jaded and frustrated, and I thank you for your ongoing efforts.

There's an important difference in that everyone in here (other than game company employees engaged in consumer service and/or advertisement) is here for our own amusement, including the enjoyment of answering silly redundant questions at our own pace if and only if we feel like it. No one asking questions here is intruding on anyone else's time or making anyone feel uncomfortable for ignoring them.

The other important difference is the range of people that can approach gaming as a way to improve their reading comprehension (especially but not exclusively non-native speakers of English). You can feel frustrated with college students for the poor skills that lead them to ask basic questions they should be able to research on their own, but gamers are not all high school graduates, not all well read or comfortable with the internet, and certainly not all going into debt or taking money from their parents to support their gaming. There's much less cause to be frustrated, because the baseline expectations of who is asking the question is entirely different.

Anyone who chooses this hobby when videogames are sitting right over there yelling at them is already giving me hope for the future. (Not meant as a rant against videogames, I play plenty of them myself)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or join the Arkham LCG Slack team and ask in. The #rules channel. We don't care how many you ask.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.