George Kizilis
United Kingdom
Ashford
KENT
flag msg tools
badge
Jolan Tru!
mbmbmbmbmb
In the card "These are Sparta's walls" it mentions: When Sparta is embattled, spend one Muster Card and remove one hoplite adjacent to Sparta.

I assume it means a Spartan hoplite and not any hoplite?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Brody
United States
Woodstock
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Note that the card says "your Hoplite". So that's only a Spartan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Kizilis
United Kingdom
Ashford
KENT
flag msg tools
badge
Jolan Tru!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just checked the card again. It actually says: Do not remove your hoplite in Laconia; then discard a Land battle card to remove a Hoplite adjacent to Laconia.

It doesnt actually specify which one (friend or foe) the second clause. Thematically I think it's meant to be a Spartan hoplite, but the card is not clear

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Brody
United States
Woodstock
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gkizilis wrote:
then discard a Land battle card to remove a Hoplite adjacent to Laconia.

It doesnt actually specify which one (friend or foe) the second clause. Thematically I think it's meant to be a Spartan hoplite, but the card is not clear

Actually, you can remove anyone you want. But normally it would be an Athenian or Delian League. It is not supposed to be a penalty, but an extra benefit. So the second part is not required.

Unlike most Greek cities, Sparta didn't have walls. When an enemy came with hostile intent to Spartan territory, the Spartans marched out to defeat them. The title of the card comes from a famous incident of a visiting dignitary who asked where Sparta's Walls were. The Spartan leader pointed to some nearby soldiers and said, "These are Sparta's walls", I assume followed up with a noisy but precise ancient version of "Order Arms".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Kizilis
United Kingdom
Ashford
KENT
flag msg tools
badge
Jolan Tru!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for taking the time to reply. Glad we cleared this out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Stup
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
My hoplite is being attacked by a trireme. Can I do the "Do not remove" part only, without discarding a land battle card to remove an adjacent hoplite?

In other words, if a card has two benefits and only the second benefit has a prerequisite, can I skip the prerequisite if I skip the second benefit?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Brody
United States
Woodstock
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tstup wrote:
My hoplite is being attacked by a trireme. Can I do the "Do not remove" part only, without discarding a land battle card to remove an adjacent hoplite?

yes
tstup wrote:

In other words, if a card has two benefits and only the second benefit has a prerequisite, can I skip the prerequisite if I skip the second benefit?

yes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Stup
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.