Subject: Card games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Enrico
Italy
Milano
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm asking myself how to use it (or adapt it) for card games (es: FFG Star Wars LCG)??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Mestdagh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That can be tricky depending on how you want to play. The Solo System cannot bluff. Specifically, all the information that is needed must be out in the open.

So for example, in Magic the Gathering, each player is going to know what the other player has in their hand. If you can get over that hump though, then the system works just fine.

I have played the system with quite a few card games. Magic the Gathering works just fine (as long as you don't mind knowing what the AI has in its hand and vise versa). Call of Cthulhu also worked well.

Some games need to be modified in order to work. A more basic game would be Lost Cities. In Lost Cities, each player plays a card from their hand and then draws a card. If you want to use the Solo System, you have to play with both hands exposed (which eliminates all of the bluffing aspect of the game). But the system worked a lot better if you change the rule to drawing a card into your hand and then playing the card. It turns out that this small rule change still allows for all of the uncertainty that makes Lost Cities fun and still retains the basic flavor of the game.

A card game that specifically does not work is Android Netrunner. Or at least the AI cannot play Corporation decks. Bluffing is too critical when playing corporations. The Corporation plays Agenda cards or has them hiding in their hand (or even discard pile). If you are going to play using the Solo System, all the information has to be out in the open. Which just won't work in this game. (But there is a really good solitaire variant for this game already, so it doesn't matter.)

I haven't played Star Wars LCG yet, so I don't know. (I do know that there is a good solitaire variant out for it though).

Bottom line, card games work as long as you don't mind playing open handed. If the game you want to play cannot do this, or you can't think of a way to work around it, then the Solo System is not going to work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.