Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
"Arrange whatever pieces come your way." Virginia Woolf
mbmbmbmbmb
Wanted to call your attention to a new video series I am working on called Wargaming 101. The first video, How to Choose a Game, has just been posted to the list. There will end up being multiple vids, all 5-10 minutes, on topics like counters, hexes, terrain, CRT, rules, etc.

If this interests you, please give it a look and subscribe to the GeekList for notices of new postings.

The GeekList is here.

(The family listed is 'solitaire wargames' but it isn't only about solo play at all.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Mengle
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a fellow doing video along the same lines, I say Bravo! I watched it last night and can't wait to see the rest of the series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Ardwulf. I've watched many of your vids which are top notch and your Paths of Glory series is incredible. I appreciate your watching mine and commenting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Stone
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
adm1 wrote:
Wanted to call your attention to a new video series I am working on called Wargaming 101. The first video, How to Choose a Game, has just been posted to the list. There will end up being multiple vids, all 5-10 minutes, on topics like counters, hexes, terrain, CRT, rules, etc.

If this interests you, please give it a look and subscribe to the GeekList for notices of new postings.

The GeekList is here.

(The family listed is 'solitaire wargames' but it isn't only about solo play at all.)

I saw it, i like it as well...

Clay
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Irish not Kraut!
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmb
Very good and the short format really suits. I like the way you approached the idea of a new game (presumably aimed towards a non wargaming audience) as something more to do with having a good sense for the most suitable size, quality over quantity and obviously choosing a theme that appeals first and foremost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Danger Here wrote:
I like the way you approached the idea of a new game [...] as something more to do with having a good sense for the most suitable size, quality over quantity and obviously choosing a theme that appeals first and foremost.
Thanks for the comment and glad you like the video. My approach is meant to suggest that people can smooth the way for themselves by choosing something they'll actually be able to play and after doing that--and hopefully liking the gaming experience--be able to apply more criteria (such as: I want a tactical game based in the Napoleonic era that focuses on supply, etc.)

I know so many people with unplayed wargames because they throw up their hands in frustration wondering why, when they love the idea of playing a wargame (and their friends who are wargamers are so emphatic about how awesome the hobby is), the game they try to play seems tedious and dull.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I loved this video, very professional and easy to listen to. For me it was a little bit too short, it was over just as I was getting into it but I understand the 10 minute time frame behind it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whatambush wrote:
I loved this video, very professional and easy to listen to. For me it was a little bit too short, it was over just as I was getting into it but I understand the 10 minute time frame behind it.
Thanks for the comment. I totally get that and believe me I could have gone on and on. Based on analytics I decided to keep these under 10 minutes so most people would watch a higher percentage each vid.

The counter video (#2) will be just under 10 minutes so you'll get a bit more with that one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Mengle
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whatambush wrote:

I like meaty videos as well. However, when you start looking at YouTube's analytics, you start to realize how hard it is to retain viewers for the whole length of even a 10-minute video, much less a 30 or 60-minute epic.

So I think, especially in the context of video to support introducing new people to wargaming, that shorter videos are better and more appropriate. If I could have gotten my How to Wargame series into 6-minutes episodes, I would have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.