United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Sometimes I'm the shark; sometimes I'm the swimmer.
mbmbmbmbmb
I am working on a new video series called Wargaming 101. The first video, How to Choose a Game, has just been posted.

There will end up being multiple short vids, all 5-10 minutes long, on topics like counters, hexes, terrain, CRT, rules, etc.

If this interests you, please give it a look and subscribe to the GeekList for notices of new postings.

The GeekList is here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JAn
Australia
Noble Park
Victoria
flag msg tools
mb
If you're taking requests... are you taking requests?

Best games to try if you don't fancy having anything to do with that conflict. You know the "I mentioned it once, but I think I got away with it all right" one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
What kind of person would be interested in wargames?!?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rakehell wrote:
If you're taking requests... are you taking requests?
Do you mean requests for topics to be covered, or requests for games to be included in the series?

The answer is yes to both but on the games front I am somewhat limited by what I own already as I don't want to bankrupt myself making the series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JAn
Australia
Noble Park
Victoria
flag msg tools
mb
adm1 wrote:
Do you mean requests for topics to be covered, or requests for games to be included in the series?

I meant topics, but then made an oblique "Faulty Towers" joke and misguidedly obfuscated my point.

I'd like to get into wargaming, but I don't want to play WWII, and I keep hearing people say "definitely start with Memoir '44". Since that doesn't work for me, I'd be keen on a video, after the intro topics, that says "now taking all those factors into consideration here are some games from various periods with which you could begin."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rakehell wrote:
I meant topics
Absolutely. I thought if the series had interest toward the end I would solicit suggestions for one of the final videos I have planned which will be a 'glossary' of sort of certain terms like 'card driven game,' 'area movement' etc (in one video). But yes please do make any suggestions and if I think I can fit it in, I will try.

rakehell wrote:
but then made an oblique "Faulty Towers" joke and misguidedly obfuscated my point.
Went over my head!

rakehell wrote:
I'd be keen on a video, after the intro topics, that says "now taking all those factors into consideration here are some games from various periods with which you could begin."
Yes, I have thought about that though wonder if I'm limited there by my own expertise and scope. There are certain periods I know nothing about and never play so the recs would be scattered by nature and fall along the lines of my interest rather than general advice.

There are videographers out there who have played thousands of games and who make Top 10 lists, etc. My hope was that people watching my series could take whatever they get from it and watch someone else's vid list with a different perspective on it.

But I will keep thinking of whether or not I feel comfortable doing that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
well thought out video. Thanks for sharing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
rakehell wrote:
adm1 wrote:

I meant topics, but then made an oblique "Faulty Towers" joke and misguidedly obfuscated my point.

I'd like to get into wargaming, but I don't want to play WWII, and I keep hearing people say "definitely start with Memoir '44". Since that doesn't work for me, I'd be keen on a video, after the intro topics, that says "now taking all those factors into consideration here are some games from various periods with which you could begin."

Some other gateway wargames are:

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game
1775: Rebellion
Battle Cry
1812: The Invasion of Canada
Manoeuvre
Julius Caesar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rakehell wrote:
Somehow I missed this comment. I'm not a WWII fan either and I've talked about that in some other videos.

There are definitely a lot of great games out there non-WWII, as is evidenced by the helpful list that TheGodsMustBeCrazy posted.

My vid series will show some game components from WWII games as examples, but many other things too and is not focused on any one game or genre.

(I'm partial to sci fi myself and my collection, such as it is, probably has the most of that in it.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
EZ FLASH 3 FTW
mbmbmbmbmb
Nah not interested in wargames, but I am interested in war-themed board games such as ASL, Combat Commander, Ardennes '44, the OCS series, Victory in the Pacific, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
skutsch wrote:
What kind of person would be interested in wargames?!?
shake Certainly NOT 'moi' since Lindsay Lohan & Katie Holmes were "nekkid" "JELL-O" wrestling here betwixt them, yet, perhaps afterwards? whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Pretoria
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bradelli wrote:
Nah not interested in wargames, but I am interested in war-themed board games such as ASL, Combat Commander, Ardennes '44, the OCS series, Victory in the Pacific, etc.

Glad to see the usual thread-jacking comments have not failed to appear here

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Pretoria
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rakehell wrote:
adm1 wrote:

I agree a range of periods would be helpful. It would also be great to cover the range of mechanisms used in wargames; from the trusty old "hex and counters" to block-based games; card-driven games; pseudo-miniature games and so on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gamesbook wrote:
It would also be great to cover the range of mechanisms used in wargames; from the trusty old "hex and counters" to block-based games; card-driven games; pseudo-miniature games and so on.
Thanks. Yes I do plan to have a video (probably toward the end of the series) that will go over some of these terms and mechanics.

When I have a moment I will update the GeekList to indicate what upcoming videos are planned to cover.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loud smoker
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OP , that is exactly where I am at : interested in war games but don't know where to start... so hell thank you to make those .mov
I am an ameritrash lover with a Eurogame addiction, but the only thing I want to do now is pure and simple wargame ... I am already after one of those game you showed in the video... Space empire 4x.... ( if I ever will find a copy ... )

Thank you !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Loudsmoker wrote:
the only thing I want to do now is pure and simple wargame ... I am already after one of those game you showed in the video... Space empire 4x.... ( if I ever will find a copy ... )
Thank you for the comment. My response on this point is that, while Space Empires 4x is awesome, it is definitely not simple. I don't know your background in other, heavy games, but you might watch some vids on that one before taking the plunge.

There are many simpler space-themed wargames out there the might be an easier starting point. That said, if you are motivated to put in the time to learn the rules, the game provides a great payoff, both solo and multi-player.

Thanks for watching and glad to have you on board for the rest of the vids to come.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.