$30.00
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
"Arrange whatever pieces come your way." Virginia Woolf
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi. I've just started a video series of short (5-10 minute) videos that are all about wargames. The first one, How to Choose a Game, has just been posted. Others will cover things like counters, hexes, maps, terrain, CRTs, and a whole host of other things.

The GeekList is here. and I hope you'll check it out. We need more women in that hobby!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonia
Germany
Aachen
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is an interesting Geeklist for sure.

One thought though:
Do you consider card-driven games as wargames?
Because I believe that some of the card-driven games out there are good introduction games as well.
For example Twilight Struggle has not a too complicated rule set and is a very good game in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Muad Dib wrote:
Do you consider card-driven games as wargames?
I certainly do. Mark Herman, who invented that mechanic with We the People, is one of the hobby's great designers.

I'll leave any discussion of Twilight Struggle to others and in fact my videos are not going to enter any debate about 'what is or what isn't' a wargame.

A video toward the end of the series is going to discuss some wargaming concepts such as CDG, area movement, etc.

Also, the next video on counters will feature a counter sheet from the CDG For the People (also a Mark Herman design).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the GeekList, and for making these videos. I've just watched the first one, and I'm very much looking forward to more.

I haven't played a wargame yet, but I'm interested/curious enough that I bought two a while ago, so this is the perfect series of videos for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marble911 wrote:
I haven't played a wargame yet, but I'm interested/curious enough that I bought two a while ago, so this is the perfect series of videos for me. :)
Thanks for commenting. I see you list yourself as a solitaire gamer. That is a wonderful thing for wargames as the genre has such a wide variety of solo designed games.

And of course more than that too and many people play two-person games themselves. (I don't have an easy time with that.)

I hope my series will help you along the way even if I don't happen to mention either of the games you have (which is likely). If there are any topics or concepts that you are particularly interested in my touching upon, let me know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The fact that many solitaire gamers keep mentioning wargames when it comes to what they are playing and what their favourite games are is what made me curious in the first place.

I really like that you intend to keep your videos short and simple because wargames do have a tendency to look intimidating (to me, at least).
As for specific topics, it would be interesting to have one (or several) videos in which you talk about a few games that you consider good introductory wargames.

And at least one of the two I picked up fulfills the "not too many counters" criterion!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marble911 wrote:
As for specific topics, it would be interesting to have one (or several) videos in which you talk about a few games that you consider good introductory wargames.
I'm thinking about it but worry that anything I chose would only be of interest to a small number. I also am not familiar with the 'typical' intro wargames (at least if you listen to people's Top 10 lists) so that could be an issue.

A suggestion to continue to think about for sure, though, as I can see why people would want a specific recommendation and then to see how it played out.
marble911 wrote:
And at least one of the two I picked up fulfills the "not too many counters" criterion! :)
Excellent!! You'll get another taste of 'counter glut' in the counter video (#2) so I'm sure you'll be extra happy you chose wisely on that point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
adm1 wrote:
marble911 wrote:
I'm thinking about it but worry that anything I chose would only be of interest to a small number. I also am not familiar with the 'typical' intro wargames (at least if you listen to people's Top 10 lists) so that could be an issue.

Maybe you could approach it from the other end - when you talk about specific concepts, mechanics etc., you could mention an intro level game in which they can be found.
That way, the problem of it being of interest to only a small number of people could be avoided AND it would help those who think "Hm, this sounds interesting, but how do I find a game in which I can try this out? Especially one that is beginner friendly".

But I have no idea if this would be feasible, since the "best" examples for a given concept or mechanic are likely going to come from more advanced games.

What were your own intro games (if you don't mind sharing that info)? Or did you skip that step, since you said you are not familiar with the 'typical' intro wargames?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marble911 wrote:
Maybe you could approach it from the other end - when you talk about specific concepts, mechanics etc., you could mention an intro level game in which they can be found.
A great suggestion--not sure I can do it but I like the idea. I'll think about it. As you mention, however, these may not be found in intro games.
marble911 wrote:
What were your own intro games (if you don't mind sharing that info)? Or did you skip that step, since you said you are not familiar with the 'typical' intro wargames?
I did pretty much skip that step. When I was a kid, I bought some "microwargames" because they were in small packages (I thought that meant they'd be easy to play--nope!). I also bought a lot of sci fi games because I love sci fi and actually don't like 'war' that much. I didn't become interested in typical historical conflict simulations until I was much older.

All this to say: I've never played the 'intro' games that people typically discuss in their top 10 lists. Those are almost exclusively historical conflict games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.