$5.00
$30.00
Phil Tegg
United Kingdom
Leicester
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So I really like this game and think I'm going to forgo saving for my pension so that I can join the FFG investment plan instead.

Does anybody have any advice on what I should buy to store the cards in?

I don't think I'd like using binders as that seems way too fiddly to me. I'm sure it's easier for deck building but I'd rather just build a deck looking at the cards online and have all my cards in a box with dividers.

These seem like a great solution:
http://www.bcwsupplies.com/cat/trading-card/trading-card-box...

I wondered if anybody had any idea of the number of sleeved cards you can put in them vs the numbers advertised?

Also, if anybody has followed LoTR LCG through, how many cards am I likely to accumulate? What size would people recommend?

I'd probably buy a smaller one for transporting a deck and a scenario anyway, but I'm thinking about something just to store the whole thing at home.

Edit: I know some people use wine boxes and something wooden definitely seems preferable, but I have a particular set of skills, and it doesn't include carpentry, DIY or crafting, so is there something that doesn't require much modding?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's what I do as well. Keep cards sorted in boxes (similar to those) and build decks online.

With premium sleeves, roughly half the given number should fit into those boxes, I would say. Maybe a little more than that.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Buckle
United Kingdom
Thornton Heath
Croydon
flag msg tools
designer
Omega Centauri
badge
Published in 2014
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm assuming there is going to be lots of expansions (and I'll get all of them), so I've ordered this:

http://oplaser.co.uk/shop/arkham-horror-lgc-large.html

I know I'm mad ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The trading card boxes are my default storage for any game that has a significant amount of cards / expansions.

I might suggest http://www.bcwsupplies.com/cat/trading-card/trading-card-box... as the best overall solution, not because of the number of cards (which WILL probably fill this eventually) but because these boxes store the cards upright so you can look through them more easily. If you put a few dividers in and keep it organized it should be easy to find what you're looking for when it comes time to modify a deck or build a new one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Rosenbaum
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm planning on using a box for one of the Battlestar Galactica expansions (they're the same size as the old FFG LCGs, before they became useless) and an insert from Broken Token. Should last for a good couple of cycles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
"I run to breathe the fresh air. I run to explore. I run…to savour the trip along the way."
mbmbmbmbmb
bucklen_uk wrote:
I'm assuming there is going to be lots of expansions (and I'll get all of them), so I've ordered this:

I know I'm mad ...

I plan on the same but with space for a rolled playmat, that's what I got for LotR. Dave is great at custom builds so I'm hoping it won't be a problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Howard
msg tools
mbmbmb
With AH:LCG, the deckbuilding is a very small part of the experience. More often, you'll be buying/upgrading cards in your deck with experience - usually only a few cards each game, so I recommend using binders for player cards. It's easier to browse and find the card you are looking for. It's also easier to put the cards you are getting rid of back, as they have a place to go, and you don't need to search for the right spot to put it (assuming you keep your loose cards alphabetized or sorted by number).

For the encounter sets, I still use a binder - I just like being able to browse my collection, and there's the slight advantage of knowing when you are missing a card while putting the game up (it's under the couch, like always).

However, the BCW boxes are great for what they are: cheap, mass storage for hundreds of cards. They fit sleeved cards, are sturdy enough to stack a dozen high, and I generally prefer to store the cards sideways so that the center of balance of these heavy bricks is lower and more compact. I wouldn't go higher than a 400 box though, as the 800 or multi-thousand boxes get quite large and quite heavy - they can get unwieldy at larger sizes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Sutphen
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was considering using the upcoming adventure chest designed for pathfinder acg http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/223653

I wonder if ultapro makes a non branded version

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Llessur Nosnikliw
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Note: Like Sean (Sqorgar)I plan on placing my player cards in a binder (but I did the same for Lord of the Rings LCG, and have a large number of sheets and binders lying around so no additional cost for me here)

However, I will use the BCW boxes to store the scenarios in (by cycle) just like I have done with the Lord of the Rings series. Here is what I have done here, to give you an idea of sizes.

I use the 930 count storage boxes. Each one holds a complete LotR cycle in the following configuration (note that I provide al of the cards for my family to play hence the duplicates) - 3 copies of the deluxe expansion kicking off the cycle (why? because 3 is the magic number FFG happened to land on to be able to have all scenarios in the cycle built at the same time for LotR but that may be different for Arkham Horror), 1 copy of each pack (six packs total), and one copy of each nightmare setting (nine total)

Note: these cards are sleeved in the FFG clear sleeves

There is a fair amount of space remaining, however where I can fit stand alone adventures. So, you could probably drop down to the 800 and be perfectly fine. For travel I happen to have two of the FFG art card boxes (probably like the 330 card size, but not sure)to hold my LotR decks and active scenarios (although I store them normally in the core box) I actually wish the LotR core set would be reprinted with the smaller box because that would be perfect for me and how I would use it.

I hope this helps in some way!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Tegg
United Kingdom
Leicester
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
bucklen_uk wrote:

I know I'm mad ...

OMG, I want one! Buying a cardboard box of similar size is £15 already...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Chalfont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are not going to go with an more expensive solution, you will eventually need a BCW box. They are cheap enough and unless you eventually go full on binders or wooden box, you will using them in some way.

I do boxes for scenarios and binders for player cards. Both have annoyances.

Once you start taking out cards from boxes you need to fill the space, your sock, some foam, paper, etc, else cards flop down. Grapping a large stack of sleeved cards can cause all the cards to fly out of your hands. Trying to find a card can be annoying when building decks. Constantly need to redo your order to the cards, as the game expands. You need lots of dividers to help find things, else you will be talking out large chunks of cards all the time.

Boxes are perfect for scenario cards you are not using since you remove them as groups and not a single card at a time.

Binders may seem fiddly but honestly I find them less so. If you are keeping the binder at home, you can get a nice D-ring (NEVER O-RING) from any office store as well as divider pages in color. Since you can scan a page, quickly you don't have to be super anal about order beyond general groupings. Disadvantages is if you travel with your cards you probably need a zipper binder and side load sheets. If you are super anal about order, you can spend a lot of time reodering. Still something nice about being able to sit down and just see all your player cards.

A few basic deck boxes or a nice one with component drawers and you can keep your build decks that you are currently playing with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew brings up a very good but often overlooked detail. Always D-ring binders. I do binders for all my LOTR player cards. You build decks much more often in that game and I still found it the easiest storage solution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rosen Crantz
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
I bought the usual Hobby Lobby artist sketch case (with the 40% coupon of course), and a broken token insert. Fits perfectly, and gives me five rows of vertically organized cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
My courier from Mexico recently dropped off a pile of BCW 550-count boxes (flat-packed! YAY!), so that's my card game storage requirements covered for a year. MtG gift boxes are also pretty handy for any game. You can even get empty boxes without the MtG-specific contents.

bucklen_uk wrote:

If shipping + customs didn't kill it, I'd get two of those. Cardboard boxes and a marker will do for now, until I get around to buying A4 stickers to print box art on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Casadonte
United States
Media
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
The compass always points to Terrapin.
mbmbmbmbmb
rican919 wrote:
I bought the usual Hobby Lobby artist sketch case (with the 40% coupon of course), and a broken token insert. Fits perfectly, and gives me five rows of vertically organized cards.

I have one of these boxes and found the latches/clasps to be very cheap. Has anyone found a good alternative latch to use with these boxes?

googoo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Whitford
msg tools
mbmbmb
bucklen_uk wrote:

I know I'm mad ...

When you get it I'd be really interested in your thoughts on it. Our storage options in the UK are a lot more limited, so I'm very tempted by this but can't really tell how good quality it is from the pictures shown.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Swiftfooted wrote:
bucklen_uk wrote:

I know I'm mad ...

When you get it I'd be really interested in your thoughts on it. Our storage options in the UK are a lot more limited, so I'm very tempted by this but can't really tell how good quality it is from the pictures shown.

Well as TracyB has one for LotR LCG (well actually a custom one with a bit more space) and she is going to get another one for AH:tCG then we can assume they are OK.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Tegg
United Kingdom
Leicester
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
bucklen_uk wrote:

I know I'm mad ...

I caved. The dark deed is done, let the descent into madness and bankruptcy begin!

Thanks for the link, that was exactly what I was looking for

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Girard
United States
Palmyra
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
http://www.thebrokentoken.com/compact-card-game-organizer/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
"I run to breathe the fresh air. I run to explore. I run…to savour the trip along the way."
mbmbmbmbmb
andyl wrote:
Swiftfooted wrote:
bucklen_uk wrote:

I know I'm mad ...

Well as TracyB has one for LotR LCG (well actually a custom one with a bit more space) and she is going to get another one for AH:tCG then we can assume they are OK.

Yep, Andy is right, I think they're really good quality.

I've also had confirmation from Dave that he will make me the custom one I mentioned. I haven't got my copy of Arkham yet (on an order which is waiting for One Deck Dungeon) but when I do I'll send him all the appropriate measurements. If anyone else is considering space for a playmat then let him know, maybe he'll run some more off?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.