Michael Wasserman
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rule 6.2.3(3) states:

Quote:
A commander may choose to discard any number of British Influence.

Does this mean that the commander may choose to discard less than all the available British Influence? If so, what happens to the remainder of the British Influence? If it is retained by the commander, what happens if there was a joint command? In particular, how are the influence tokens distributed if the remaining number are not evenly divisible by the number of commanders?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
グース
Japan
目黒区
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The tokens must be spent, in which discard is an option. Therefor, no British Influence will carry over to the next turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wasserman
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that makes sense. The ambiguity arose in my mind because Rule 6.2.3(1) refers to discarding an Influence counter. (I think the word "discard" is used because the counter is removed from play rather than being returned to the pool, although elsewhere the rules specifically say "removed from play" rather than "discarded".) Also, it would seem cleaner to simply say that at the end of an opium war, during clean-up, any remaining unused British Influence in player holdings is discarded (or removed from play). This would allow both Rule 6.2.3(3) to be deleted as redundant, as well as the final clause of Rule 6.2.2:

Quote:
The player with the most British Influence commands the army. If there is a tie, all tied players will command the army. If any disagreement cannot be settled, then the war ends and all remaining British Influence in player holdings are removed from play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich James
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the intent of the rule is that there will not be any British influence counters in player control after an opium war. The counters must either be played or discarded. At the end of an opium war the outrage track is reset to 0 and I think the intent is that there should be outrage if any British influence counters are in player control.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.